History Ext. Not Real Sure... (1 Viewer)

wannapass

HSC
hey i just had my first lesson of ext today and i have to have a topic by next thursday, but im totally stuck for ideas. i was thinking the assanation of maralyn monroue but im not sure if that would be acceptable
anyone know or have any ideas?
help a brother out :p

niteshade1312

HSC
Choose some sort of conflict because it enables you to present both sides. But I must tell you to choose something that you enjoy learning and will like researching because 9 months is a long time. I changed my topic in teh summer holidays, just keep brainstorming.. make sure you enjoy it though!

gosh

yeah as niteshade1312 said, do something that has conflicting views like a historical debate or controversial issue. also do something that interests you personally.
the death of marilyn monroe is certainly an interesting topic, i cant see why it wouldnt be acceptable. you can explore the various conspiracy theories and examine the conflicting views of historians and connect that to historiography.
you can almost choose any historical topic for your major work. it just comes down to how you write about it. you dont have to choose a permanent topic right from the beginning, you can always change later as the project progresses. i changed my topic midway, though you should never leave things to the last minute.

good luck

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
the thing is, a good major work doesnt look at an event, but looks at the historians views on the event.

e.g you wouldnt write about the assasination, who did it and details and stuff like that what you would do is examine the areas of debate in your topic, like who killed her? well Mr Jackass beleives it was an accident, but this other historian thinks this happened.
so you present the historical issues, like your essay title wouldnt be " the assasination of Monroe" it would be something more like " " Monroe murdered? - an exploration on the historians views of Marilyn Monroe's murder throughout time"

and then you could argue it may have been an accident etc. thats just as example though, i dont even know if there is conflicting views over her assasination because i know shit all about it.

What i did was i was interested in the Aztecs... so i researched them heaps, then i focused down to when they were defeated by the Spanish, i found an area of debate that is the girl called Malinche [ an Aztec] who helped the Spanish defeat the aztecs
so instead of doing something like " Aztecs attacked - an exploration of the seige of Tenochitlan by spanish forces"
i did "Malince - Villain or Venerate? - A study of how historians over time have viewed Dona Marina’s actions during the Spanish conquest of Mexico"

so its a simple process, just work out what your interested in, find an interesting event, find an area of debate with conflicting sides and present an arguement OR examine how interpretations of that event have changed over time.

s1mplykat

HSC
im suppose to have come up with a topic by tomorrow! *faints.. im really not so sure… i was thinking maybe the war that broke out between the muslims when the prophet Muhammad (s.a.w) passed away, since as the prophet Muhammed failed to produce a son by any of his many marriages, the muslim community was left with no clear successor after his death, the Shias, in contrast, supported the claim of Ali, the husband of the prophet's favourite daughter.. they insisted that the legitimacy of the caliphate came only from god, not the religious establishment.. the Sunni, however, believe that the appointment of one of the Prophet's companions, Abu Bakr, as the first Caliph was correct..
would this be a good idea for my history project???

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
s1mplykat said:
im suppose to have come up with a topic by tomorrow! *faints.. im really not so sure… i was thinking maybe the war that broke out between the muslims when the prophet Muhammad (s.a.w) passed away, since as the prophet Muhammed failed to produce a son by any of his many marriages, the muslim community was left with no clear successor after his death, the Shias, in contrast, supported the claim of Ali, the husband of the prophet's favourite daughter.. they insisted that the legitimacy of the caliphate came only from god, not the religious establishment.. the Sunni, however, believe that the appointment of one of the Prophet's companions, Abu Bakr, as the first Caliph was correct..
would this be a good idea for my history project???
yeah, especailly if you can link it to terrorism.

Mr_Shrimp

HSC
I chose my topic already.. I'm doing the Iran-Iraq war of 1980-88. i think its a good topic if youre interested in the middle east and stuff (im interested in iran mostly) because you can talk about the hostage crisis and the conspiracies about american involvement in keeping the hostages till after election, and the ayatollah and all these conflicting views between america and iraq VS iran and how it's turned out with american VS saddam..

well I think its interesting :D

thats the key as they all say.. make sure its something youre interested in.. then you'll actually enjoy studying and instead of struggling for 2500 words, you'll have more info than you can put in..

timobr0

Ευθήμιος
HSC
i dont have to have a topic due in on a date...like our teacher said we will prob change it as we research......as a greek im interested in greek history so im prob gonna do something related to greece :p

s1mplykat

HSC
timobr0 said:
i dont have to have a topic due in on a date...like our teacher said we will prob change it as we research......as a greek im interested in greek history so im prob gonna do something related to greece :p
yeh thats what my teacher said alsO.. so your interested in doing something about greek history for ur pip huh? then what would be the cross cultral aspect in your topic?

wannapass

HSC
thanx u guys

hey guys than its due thursday and i think im gunna go with it, i'll talk to my teacher bout it but yeah, thanx for all da advice, u guys rock :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)