Hidden unemployment question? (1 Viewer)

YouCantMakeMe

HSC
N/A
unemployment is the amount of people trying to find a job, who simply cant. there are people like students and discouraged people who are initially counted as unemployed. after these people are accounted for as being hidden unemployed, since they're not actually looking for jobs, then they are removed from the 'headline' unemployment rate which means a lower value for unemployment is given
Wait... so what happens is that they're initially counted as part of the unemployment figures but then get moved out? Unemployment figures are released quarterly right? So how does that work? -Do they get moved out in the next quarter?

I thought labour force = unemployed + employed. And unemployment rate = unemployed / labour force.

If the hidden unemployed (as what csu suggested, not sure if I'm taking it the right way though) are not considered part of the labour force, then technically they're not considered "employed" or "unemployed" and thus they can't affect unemployment rate? Can somebody please correct me, I'm confused.

malcolm21

HSC
N/A
Wait... so what happens is that they're initially counted as part of the unemployment figures but then get moved out? Unemployment figures are released quarterly right? So how does that work? -Do they get moved out in the next quarter?

I thought labour force = unemployed + employed. And unemployment rate = unemployed / labour force.

If the hidden unemployed (as what csu suggested, not sure if I'm taking it the right way though) are not considered part of the labour force, then technically they're not considered "employed" or "unemployed" and thus they can't affect unemployment rate? Can somebody please correct me, I'm confused.
The hidden unemployed are never actually counted in the unemployment rate initially, they just remove these people completly from the labour force for the time being, until they stop schooling or try to get a job. I think the question wanted to know the hypothetical effect on unemployment rate if the hidden unemployed were never filtered out compared to how it changes the rate once it is filtered out

sy37

HSC
How about the inverse? On top of the usual hidden unemployment is not counted in the unemployment statistics that has already been covered, I said that if hidden unemployment was to be included in the unemployment statistic, it would lead to a substantial increase in the unemployment rate.
Yeah I'd say that's a 2/2 imo, you showed that it's not included, and that if it was it'd increase the rate

HecticSandWitch

2007 fuccboi hustler king
HSC
Yeah I'd say that's a 2/2 imo, you showed that it's not included, and that if it was it'd increase the rate
I've been freaking out about this all day, obvz not a HSC marker but u made me feel more confident, cheers sk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)