HELP I WANT TO CHANGE MY HSC SUBJECTS BUT THE TERM IS NEARLY OVER (1 Viewer)

kpopidoru

HSC
Im in year 12 going into 2023 and i really want to change my subject. On top of that my school denied my 4u maths and that really affected my mental health. My principal even denied me external course for some reason. Does anyone know what to do please help me im really desperate.

yanujw

HSC
What subject are you trying to change? Don't worry about the term nearly being over because you are allowed to drop at any point during Year 12, it's only an issue if you have some sort of assignment over the holidays.

kpopidoru

HSC
currently i do almost all social sciences in which essay writing is my absolute weakpoint. I was hoping to swap business and legal with chemistry and physics. i know workload will be tremendous but ive physically and mental prepared myself

idkkdi

HSC
currently i do almost all social sciences in which essay writing is my absolute weakpoint. I was hoping to swap business and legal with chemistry and physics. i know workload will be tremendous but ive physically and mental prepared myself
did u do phys and chem in y11?

kpopidoru

HSC
is it not a requirement to complete the prelim course to do the hsc course?
im not sure but i did some research and i think u can if your principal agrees. Im not completely sure though

raspberriesandpears

HSC
okay i'm in the same year as you doing chemistry and i definitely feel like even if you're allowed to it may be difficult - a lot of stuff we've already covered in year 11 is coming back to bite us, plus we've done an entire new topic which is examinable. you'd have to learn all of that plus keep up with your other subjects.

not saying you can't do it, just saying i would cry.

tbf if you can change now is the time to do it, you will at least have the summer to catch up. may i ask a) what your workload looks like over the holidays and b) why you were denied 4U maths and the external course?

if you don't want to tell me that's okay of course, just trying to gauge how you would approach this. but i totally get where you're coming from (as the writing queen who still loathes it let's be real)

carrotsss

HSC
It is very very very unlikely that you will be allowed to change subjects if you haven’t done the year 11 course for them

kpopidoru

HSC
okay i'm in the same year as you doing chemistry and i definitely feel like even if you're allowed to it may be difficult - a lot of stuff we've already covered in year 11 is coming back to bite us, plus we've done an entire new topic which is examinable. you'd have to learn all of that plus keep up with your other subjects.

not saying you can't do it, just saying i would cry.

tbf if you can change now is the time to do it, you will at least have the summer to catch up. may i ask a) what your workload looks like over the holidays and b) why you were denied 4U maths and the external course?

if you don't want to tell me that's okay of course, just trying to gauge how you would approach this. but i totally get where you're coming from (as the writing queen who still loathes it let's be real)
yea ive realised how big the workload will be but im fully committed. I was hoping to use my holidays to catch up with the work .

ok ill answer ur questions.
a) i literally have like no workload over the holidays WHICH i was initially planning to use to grind maths and stuff but i guess not
b) ok this is gonna be kinda long but: basically during the beginning the year 11 my mind was actually taking a vacation and i didnt focus on school at all, so during the first half yearly for math ext i did pretty bad :/. However what i didn't know what there was a limited number of placements for 4u maths and by then my mind shaped up and i started to rly focus on school but it was too late by then. And so it turned out i had just barely scraped out of placements so i went back and forth with school explaining why i am capable for 4u and if i dont its gonna revert back to my crappy mental state where i didnt feel motivated to study for my hsc. There reasoning for limited spots was cus "from their opinion it's the best course of action for you." and i mean like yea i know they've been teaching for years but I TRUELY know what's gonna be best for me. So for a total of 4 weeks i eventually decided if the school can't let me then ill just do it outside of school with no influence from them, AND THEY DIDNT LET ME FOR THE SAME REASON. I could ramble on about this but this is kindof the jist of it. Also I think i felt restricted from expressing my true feelings because they were the principal but i feel more comfortable expressing it with people my age. Also sorry if this seemed like a rant

But yea I had a whole plan which I told them how i would approach this but Im not sure what to do now. But i know some part of me still believes there is a way and all my friends at school are saying it is possible

kpopidoru

HSC
It is very very very unlikely that you will be allowed to change subjects if you haven’t done the year 11 course for them
do you think it is possible if I am able to show them that I have completed the entire year 11 course than they will let me change. Because I remember some article on nesa saying you can do that

carrotsss

HSC
do you think it is possible if I am able to show them that I have completed the entire year 11 course than they will let me change. Because I remember some article on nesa saying you can do that
To be completely honest with you it is probably too late, a year worth of content in two of the hardest courses in the hsc is a lot to catch up on and if your school locked you out of 4u regular entry it’s pretty unlikely that they’ll give you such a special consideration for chem or physics.

I hope for you that you can talk your teachers into it, but realistically it is quite unlikely.

kpopidoru

HSC
To be completely honest with you it is probably too late, a year worth of content in two of the hardest courses in the hsc is a lot to catch up on and if your school locked you out of 4u regular entry it’s pretty unlikely that they’ll give you such a special consideration for chem or physics.

I hope for you that you can talk your teachers into it, but realistically it is quite unlikely.
hmm ok i will give it my best shot tho the earlier the better

raspberriesandpears

HSC
yes 100% earlier the better. give it a try.

all i'm worried about is your mental health - i've struggled with mental health issues and severe burnout throughout my time at school and i know from experience that it can be ongoing even if you think it's over. i just don't want you to struggle with catching up on the work.

i think make your case before school ends. best case scenario, you're allowed to do it. worst case, at least you won't have to catch up on useless work.

good luck, keep us updated :)

kpopidoru

HSC
yes 100% earlier the better. give it a try.

all i'm worried about is your mental health - i've struggled with mental health issues and severe burnout throughout my time at school and i know from experience that it can be ongoing even if you think it's over. i just don't want you to struggle with catching up on the work.

i think make your case before school ends. best case scenario, you're allowed to do it. worst case, at least you won't have to catch up on useless work.

good luck, keep us updated :)
I'll be sure to take after myself and thank you for your optimism :))

I'll keep you updated if anything new happens, if not then i have this forum to help support me!

raspberriesandpears

HSC
yep totally :) i can give you all my essay writing tips

also i just thought - is it worth talking to a teacher you trust and getting them to vouch for you? that you are capable? that might be considered with more weight than just you on your own?

anyway, again, best of luck!

kpopidoru

HSC
yep totally :) i can give you all my essay writing tips

also i just thought - is it worth talking to a teacher you trust and getting them to vouch for you? that you are capable? that might be considered with more weight than just you on your own?

anyway, again, best of luck!
funnily enough there is one teacher that is rly supportive and shes a science teacher. I probably will need english help tho.. anyways thank you!

HSC
how many units are you currently taking, and why do you wish to change the subjects? what is your goal for after school/atar (if applicable)?

in 98% of schools it is effectively impossible to pick up a subject this late. there is no way for them to teach and assess the year 11 course, and nesa will not allow you to enrol in the hsc course unless you have completed the preliminary course.

if this is something you really want to do the best way to achieve it IMO would be to;
  • drop back to ~6 hsc units
  • take year 11 physics and chemistry next year along with your 6 hsc units for a total of 10 in 2023
  • take year 12 physics and chemistry (and possibly 4U maths, if you wish?) in 2024
benefits of this pathway:
  • nearly impossible for school to stop you doing this (2024 can be completed at TAFE, for example)
  • allows you to do the subjects you wish
  • you can spend time doing something else (part time job, volunteering, etc) in 2024
disadvantages:
  • takes an extra year

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)