HAST PAST PAPERS (1 Viewer)

Sailaja

HSC
Hi I am planning to prepare for HAST for Hurlstone Agricultural school (NSW) Glenfield for year8 . Could you please point me where i can find sample(previous year papers) and also any other books or tutoring which can help to achieve good score. Thank you.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
According to ACER:

There are no past papers available, however, you can purchase the HAST Sample Question Booklet in the ACER online shop. The HAST Candidate Information Bulletin also contains a small number of sample questions at no cost.

Here's a link to the HAST Sample Question Booklet, should you want to purchase it:

Here's a link to the HAST Candidate Information Bulletin:

I believe the questions it contains are appropriate for your academic year level.

I hope this helps! :D

kkk579

hello
HSC
Hi I am planning to prepare for HAST for Hurlstone Agricultural school (NSW) Glenfield for year8 . Could you please point me where i can find sample(previous year papers) and also any other books or tutoring which can help to achieve good score. Thank you.
there r no spots for hurlstone i think

kkk579

hello
HSC
wait r u in year 8 this year?

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
A user said:
Hi i’m applying for fort street hurlstone and girraeeen next year. i’m currently in year 8 and i’m applying for it next year in year 9. if i make it that means i’ll gain entry into the school in the start of year10. i’m actually so confused, ive looked at so many threads about this but i’m still rlly confused. what does the HAST exam consist of for the year 9 exam?!!
The Middle Secondary test is the HAST you'll be sitting as a year 9 student to gain entry into year 10. In a previous thread, I have explained what the HAST consists of.

The HAST is comprised of the following components:
  • Mathematical reasoning
  • Reading comprehension
  • Abstract reasoning
  • Written expression
    • Part One: Discursive task
    • Part Two: Creative task
The mathematical reasoning component consists of multiple-choice questions. In this section, you should pay close attention to your answers, especially in the case of trick questions, and ensure that any options you did not select are wrong. This is an example of a question that can appear within the mathematical reasoning component:

1629512047171.png

Note that a question like this is assessed in the Upper Primary (years 4 and 5) test, meaning it would be reasonable to expect significantly more difficult questions in the Middle Secondary test.

The reading comprehension component also consists of multiple-choice questions. In order to perform well in this section, you should read both the questions and the options carefully as some may be more correct than others. Some of the answers may be using slightly different wording that the student may not be able to notice, such as "might" vs "must", and is used to make it more challenging for the student.

The abstract reasoning component also consists of multiple-choice questions. This section is considered more difficult to prepare for because it relies on logical reasoning, as opposed to what you may have learned. Patterns seem like a concept that is assessed within this component. This is an example of a question that can appear within the abstract reasoning component:

1626189744025.png

The written expression component includes 2 writing tasks. Whether you may be required to write a creative and/or a discursive might differ each year. This is an example of a creative writing question that you can expect:

Often in books or on radio or television, a person in a story says 'Safe at last!' when they reach home or find hiding places.

Write a story which uses 'Safe at last!' as an important saying.

This is an example of a discursive writing question that you can expect:

Is social media a distraction? Justify your answer.

I hope this helps! 😄

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
A user said:
okay thanks so much!! also i heard for the middle secondary that instead of mathematical reasoning it’s actually maths and science?? what is this??
No worries! I'm not entirely sure if that's the case with the Middle Secondary test. Did you hear it from a teacher at school or was it just a student talking about it?

As far as I know, the HAST adopts the same structure across different levels, the main difference being the difficulty of the questions. For example, questions in the Senior Secondary test will be more difficult than questions in the Middle Secondary test.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
A user said:
Apologies! I misunderstood what you meant before, I thought you meant that the mathematical reasoning section is completely different in the Middle Secondary test.

In that case, yes the mathematical reasoning section will include maths and science-related questions, so it would be a good idea to have thoroughly gone through what you've learned in year 9 maths and science by the time you get to sit your Middle Secondary test. :D

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
A user said:
i’m confused what would be in the math and science exam is it like separate sections?? or is it like kinda sciency math-like calculating density or smth like that?
Based on what the website suggests, I think it would be safe to expect that maths questions and science questions will come separately but within the same section (mathematical reasoning), meaning that you might get a maths or a science question, but there won't be a clear indication that it is specifically a maths question or a science question, i.e. there probably won't be something like this:

Mathematical Reasoning:

Question 1 - (Mathematics):

Question 2 - (Science):

I'm not entirely sure whether questions involving both maths and science are assessed in the HAST, but if this were the case, it would be a good idea to practise such questions in preparation for your HAST just to be safe.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)