Hardest Question (1 Viewer)

bluebaby

HSC
N/A
last Q ...influenza + mutation ... i wrote half page on mutagens ONLY!! i failed T.T

kyu_chan

the REAL nightmare begins
HSC
HOLY COW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! >_< I hated it >.>

Oso

Biotechnician in Training
HSC
I actually thought the whole thing was quite easy... I wish I just had've thought more instead of making so many stupid mistakes...
The hardest question though I would say was, the hearing aid thing... I don't think I wrote near enough.

*ccs*

falltopieces said:
In this exam, which question do you think is the hardest one?
truth..i hated the crossing over one...never liked that part of blue print.. i didnt mind the writing questions lol (i do modern and ancient so it was a breeze haha) but yeh...maybe part d on communication but i know u all didnt do that :)

falltopieces

HSC
*ccs* said:
truth..i hated the crossing over one...never liked that part of blue print.. i didnt mind the writing questions lol (i do modern and ancient so it was a breeze haha) but yeh...maybe part d on communication but i know u all didnt do that :)

I don't like that prepared slide question as well.

Since our class never actually did the practical on neurones. All that my teacher gives is a picture of the neurones taken from a text book -_-

cataleptic

HSC
Look in the other thread...

Hmm I'll try remember.

Basically if the virus mutates so much, then the protein antigens on its surface will also mutate. The human immune response is initially triggered by antigens, and immunity is provided by B and T cells that recognise their specific antigens.

Normally, the influenza antigens would be recognised immediately by the B and T lymphocytes, and the immune response is activated immediately to destroy the pathogens, so that the individual does not fall ill. However if the antigens continue to be different because of the mutation, then the individual will be unable to develop effective immunity as the virus will continue to be recognised as a new antigen, without memory cells corresponding to it in the blood. Hence they will most likely fall ill, as the body has to work to develop new antibodies.

Basically yeah, it would be hard for humans to develop immunity against the flu as the antigens would keep changing. Immunity would only be effective if the individual were to come into contact with the same pathogen, that had the same unmutated antigens.

It went something like that. But made sense. With detail.

Blackroze

HSC
cataleptic said:
Look in the other thread...

Hmm I'll try remember.

Basically if the virus mutates so much, then the protein antigens on its surface will also mutate. The human immune response is initially triggered by antigens, and immunity is provided by B and T cells that recognise their specific antigens.

Normally, the influenza antigens would be recognised immediately by the B and T lymphocytes, and the immune response is activated immediately to destroy the pathogens, so that the individual does not fall ill. However if the antigens continue to be different because of the mutation, then the individual will be unable to develop effective immunity as the virus will continue to be recognised as a new antigen, without memory cells corresponding to it in the blood. Hence they will most likely fall ill, as the body has to work to develop new antibodies.

Basically yeah, it would be hard for humans to develop immunity against the flu as the antigens would keep changing. Immunity would only be effective if the individual were to come into contact with the same pathogen, that had the same unmutated antigens.

It went something like that. But made sense. With detail.
Thats exactly what I wrote, background info on cell/antibody mediated responses allowed me to fill out the response a bit. I couldnt really think of any other angle to take, I spent the last 20 min adding bits and pieces with were most likely not needed lol.

Last edited:

falltopieces

HSC
Blackroze said:
Thats exactly what I wrote, background info on cell/antibody mediated responses allowed me to fill out the response a bit. I couldnt really think of any other angle to take, I spent the last 20 min adding bits and pieces with were most likely not needed lol.
I wrote a bit of stuff on antibiotics which probably not so relevant tot he question .

HSC
locusts, influenza, cow tags (omg I didn't realise we could rant about the immune system...:S) i just went on about implications...yikes...

<<White Ghost>>

Professional Gigolo
HSC
yeh the um influenza 8 marker was a bitch! i felt so pissed off that they gave so many marks for it. I do modern history so for those of you who do it, you know where i'm coming from and 8 marks is a helluva lot more than that in writing. But fuck it, it's over now without too much grief.

dash87125

cloudfire
HSC
cataleptic said:
I wrote the two full pages on influenza mutations.
LOL, i wrote about the full space and included more after... cus i didnt KNOW what they wanted for the full 8 marks, so i just included as mani points as possible?
i figured 2 marks for definitions, what it means wot it dus etc.. and then 5 marks for waht happens and points like natural selection, vaccines, immunisation, antibodies and antigens, and the last mark for the ASSESSment

Same with the option 7 marker :S just wrote as much as possible, ended writing about 6 pages for that 7 marker :S

frootloop

HSC
dash87125 said:
LOL, i wrote about the full space and included more after... cus i didnt KNOW what they wanted for the full 8 marks, so i just included as mani points as possible?
i figured 2 marks for definitions, what it means wot it dus etc.. and then 5 marks for waht happens and points like natural selection, vaccines, immunisation, antibodies and antigens, and the last mark for the ASSESSment

Same with the option 7 marker :S just wrote as much as possible, ended writing about 6 pages for that 7 marker :S
I covered those points too! I also talked about antibiotics which is sort of relevant- they are used to control disease too and there are anti-viral antibiotics!

I didn't write as much as you though. I wrote the full two pages (in tiny writing cause I knew I had a lot to write about) and then used an extra two pages in an extra booklet (in normal handwriting).

I'm worried that I didn't make my assessment blatent enough. I should have written a sub-heading 'assessment' so they can't mark me down for not assessing it. I did however make comments on how the mutations affected human health (links with each paragraph). So I did assess it but I'm worried some moron will mark mine and say I didn't.

Jeez I hope I got close to full marks for that!

JoeysBoy

HSC
I talked about the TOTALLY wrong thing lol! I talked about economic/moral/genetic, etc. for the 8 marker :rolleyes: Filled up the two pages though...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)