Hard test compared to other year? (1 Viewer)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
What's your opinion? I want to get a general opinion as to how difficult this paper was in comparison to other papers (that you probably worked on something)

In my opinion, it was an easier paper because it didn't much have the legal aspect of ER which I wasn't very strong at. What's your opinion in regards to general difficulty of the paper?

micuzzo

HSC
i think it was a bit easier than 08... but the MC was hard n Q26 was not clear... also i cannot believe they asked for the fin planning cycle in Q27 (i did Q28)... overall the test wasnt too bad... but i must say it was difficult.... too many questions on ethiccal stuff and too many of the MC culd have been either or ither... i hope i get a good mark

bench

HSC
I thought much of what was considered "easier" might have translated to "harder" for alot of people. ER legislations, financial formulas, and much of global strategies were largely ignored. These are areas where you can be sure you've managed to rake in marks if you were able to answer the questions. In my opinion they didn't test your knowledge so much but instead wanted to see how well you were able to link obscure ideas or make things up on the spot.

Or, maybe I'm just bitter that 60% of the studying I did came to no use in the exams. :chainsaw:

jessica.anne

HSC
N/A
Sections I, II and III were too easy and Section IV required far too much information/application for "simply" HSC Business Studies.

So while I was busy trying to figure out how the hell to structure my response, I completely forgot about including case study material. :(

Michaelmoo

cbff...
HSC
I would say the paper was relatively challenging. The questions were different from the conventional syllabus regurgitation type questions. In a way it could be beneficial, business could finally get the scaling/aligning it deserves.

On the whole definately unique, and hard to predict what kind of aspects the markers are looking for (was there a new biz commitee this year?)

Social responsibility was still a major component of the biz report. Didn't like that. The integration of 3 aspects in the final extended response would definately be the decider. I did question 28 and can honestly say I tried my best to draw out the implications of how the marketing planning process and market research synergise to meet the financial goals of a business. What question did you do?

O yes and DEFINATELY not my best paper. Hard to predict what I would get though, since the paper/marking scheme had a relatively different approach.

What mark (raw) are you looking at?

Rainie

HSC
It was an easier paper I guess. My weakness was financial ratios which thank god didnt turn up for short answers. Very ambiguous wording of questions though. This year I think focused more on legal, social and aspects of topics.

sickk

HSC
i agree with bench, i thought it was slightly easier than other papers in that it didnt ask how things contribute to effective management/change/employment relations

EDIT: that said it wasnt what i expected, i was thinking it wuold focus heavily on finance and global economic downturn seeing as the paper is set in june/july? when that was all over the media

Last edited:

micuzzo

HSC
^^ cant beleieve there were no ratios...

bmn

HSC
Sections I, II and III were too easy and Section IV required far too much information/application for "simply" HSC Business Studies.

So while I was busy trying to figure out how the hell to structure my response, I completely forgot about including case study material. :(
I and II were too easy, but III was a little challenging...

In IV I somehow wrote about the financial parts first... About 1-2 pages total on them (out of 10), forgetting growth, but with links to research which I hadn't talked about...

I have no idea how much of a mind blank I must of had there :chainsaw:

My strengths are mainly global and finance... Not enough of them...
My weakness is marketing... Too much of that...

Last edited:

shady145

Banned
HSC
umm yea pretty standard exam
to much time i think
multichoice seemed easiest ive done

micuzzo

HSC
the paper was difficult!... theres no doubt

sickk

HSC
too much time shady ! i could have used another 10/15 minutes

micuzzo

HSC
too much time shady ! i could have used another 10/15 minutes
+1

i had 1 hour on each report... q26 was not clear to me.. and q28 was difficult to link the content

X-terc

HSC
N/A
This exam is such a killer. The bs about trials being easier or whatever than the HSC is NOT true, trials was a lot easier, the extended response qts were a lot a lot more straight forward (i did the CSSA trials paper btw)

NO FINANCE? I was stressing and studying my ass off about that topic, only came into use in TWO MC qts. my goodness

the extended responses 27 & 28 were very challenging. I think 27 would be MORE 28 took forever, as i interpreted the qt in 3 different parts oh and mind you, i forgot half of my case study so bs the rest up.

anyone did qt 28 and case study of HSBC out of interest?

ajay12

Can count to potato
HSC
Mulitple Choice was probably the one of the easiest I have ever done. Most consisted of what people might think as tricky questions, but they might have read the wording wrong. Other threads are debating Q1 of MC, which is obviously Niche. Not to sure how people managed to screw things up in the multiple choice.

Short answer was pretty straight forward as well. Nothing that required really in depth analysis, mainly consisted of advantages and disadvantages of this and that which were about 4-6 marks, but also contained listing questions such as "List TWO features of a casual employment contract" which were 2 marks. BOS practically gave you 2 marks.

Business Report was fairly challenging. Mainly focused on employment realations, social responsibilites and key influences of a business expanding internationally. Doesn't really differ from previous papers, other than previous papers having a lot more Business Management and Change and Financial Management, which are both easy topics.

Extended Response was insane. I don't know why I chose Q27, I guess it seemed I could write more about Marketing Strategies and link them better to my case study. However, with about 1 hour and 1/2 left and 2 pages written, I was unsure whether to get a new booklet and start again with Q28. Probably should have done since I knew all the info for Q28.

Eddykungfu

HSC
A tip is to know what is happening in the business world around you. (E.g read the business paper, research, etc.)

BOS always chuck in a question which allows higher-end students to apply knowledge of the current "business/employment" environment to a question

This year, they did this through the business report, asking about influences of employment relations, FROM 2010-2012.

This is the time hwne Workchoice will be phased out, and the Fair Work Act (2009) will be primary.

Mawled

HSC
I feel that the exam was generally easier than the previous papers i have attempted.

That's not to say it wasn't at all challenging or difficult.

Extended responses (27 & 28 in particular) could of been written / framed substantially better.

I myself attempted Question 28, and regretted it halfway through writing my response. I forgot to include reference to case studys.

Anyway, what do you guys think, you got for Q28/27. i hate to say it but im aiming for 10-12 / 20 ><

I wrote almost as if i was writing a business report (minus headings etc)!!!!arghh!

And i also spoke about identifying target markets, setting goals, allocating finance, and data collection (surverys etc etc).

Overall i think i would of gotten in the low to mid 70s ><

Mawled.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)