Hamlet - loyalty WTF??? (1 Viewer)

jonesay

HSC
Woops originally posted about BR/Frankenstein

I wrote about the reformation taking place, and how Hamlet could be loyal to his father and the codes of medieval vengeance of the order through revenge

and how this conflicted

to his loyalty to his posittion as the first modern man and to his conciussness and subjectiveness of his existential position yada yada which won't allow him to revenge his father

Last edited:

Venom.

HSC
Uh I think the whole point was to deal with loyalty and disloyalty, and how these concepts related to your thesis.

If you mentioned loyalty but then went straight on to your own essay, I highly doubt that will get you above 16.
Nah I integrated the question throughout my response. It just was just backed up by my own pre-memorised essay. ^ And yes, Hamlet could or could not be mad. It depends on how you see it.

monsters

HSC
Nah I integrated the question throughout my response. It just was just backed up by my own pre-memorised essay. ^ And yes, Hamlet could or could not be mad. It depends on how you see it.
how can he be perceived as mad, then? does the evidence for his madness outweigh the evidence against it?

Mc Fadge

HSC
how can he be perceived as mad, then? does the evidence for his madness outweigh the evidence against it?
Is it not possible he slips into madness? Why can't Gertrude see the ghost for instance? (I don't believe he's mad, devil's advocate) I thought it was a bad question. A play as large and sophisticated as Hamlet has many themes which are displayed in many intricate ways. In order to get a deep understanding of anything one must concentrate on certain aspects. Loyalty wasn't one of those aspects I concentrated on, sadness ensued :(

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Madness is relative to interpretation and perception. Personally, I just think he's driven to extremities.

madsam

God among men
HSC
I didn't find it too difficult, just talked changed a few words in my essay.
Hamlets loyalty to his father + disloyalty to Claudius messed with him, brought out issues of morality and crap
Then his loyalty to his own actions and to himself, through the humanism v determinism stuff, and carrying through with his word without delay
Don't forget noticing the loyalty of Fortinbra's army, and becoming a real humanist and shit

ekdownie

eating/procrastinating
HSC
i thought it was fine, seeming though one of my themes i focused on is duplicity, which concerns the lack of loyalty and trust within relationships of the play. at times i kept forgetting to go back to the 'human experience' bit

nipsta

CEO
HSC
Personally, I had a mental blank and complete and utter panic attack for the first 2 minutes during the reading time because they also wanted our perspective (i.e. the study of stability and moral corruption [for me]). I attempted that question by showing that Loyalty could be, to a degree, a moral responsibility because Claudius who kills Old Hamlet and breaks the 'Chain of Being' is breaking his loyalty to his country and the divine king, which leads to instability of the characters and the state, propagating moral corruption... and I took on that approach which became quite cohesive in the end.

I think the the part where it gets tricky is when people just soley focus their essay on 'loyalty' and not how it is REINFORCED by the "portrayal of HUMAN EXPERIENCE". How did everyone interprete 'human experience'?

chistar

HSC
N/A
I just talked about how Hamlet's loyalty to his father binded him to the task of murdering Claudius. When Hamlet procrastinates, his loyalty is questioned. But then I argue that Hamlet procrastinates, not because he is disloyal, but because of his Oedipal Complex and over-intellectualisation...Does anyone know if this is right? I didn't really mention indepth about relationships, etc... :S

ForTheWin

HSC
i wrote about revenge, and how loyalty to his father requires him to step into the role of an avenger. then i just went on to talk about the conflicts and struggles within hamlet that stops him from acting.

Godspeed

HSC
I did an English assessment on Hamlet's relationship with Horatio, who is the paragon of loyalty in Hamlet! Therefore, I found the essay question amazing. When you actually think seriously on it, you realise that the ENTIRE FREAKIN PLAY is all about LOYALTY!

In fact, it is only because of that loyalty that Hamlet embarks on his quest for vengeance, therefore making loyalty the catalyst for just about every event in the play.

Godspeed

HSC
This question killed my life! my prememorised essay (30+ pages of notes) lol, did not cover one single aspect of loyalty// i had to make up so much stuff on the spot, wrote like 3 pages, fml.
That's why you don't memorise essays.

Heshy

HSC
looll u guys went into way to much though
hamlet follows the advise of his father and thus is disloyal to the king, i.e. denmark... therefore we see his deteriorated sense of identity as he maintains a sense of true loyalty to only one individual.
chucked in a bit bout gertrude, ophellia and how his renassance context creates the need for him to chose where his loyalty lies and bam 20/20

unfortunately mine wasnt quote heavy (like only 15) so yeah we'll see

Swalden

HSC
This question was awesome, it allowed us students who actually studied all aspects of Hamlet and truly understand it to show our knowledge, not get beaten by you damned people who just memorize an essay.

ashllis92

HSC
This question was awesome, it allowed us students who actually studied all aspects of Hamlet and truly understand it to show our knowledge, not get beaten by you damned people who just memorize an essay.
Yep! This question was designed IMO to distinguish the "on-the-spotters" from the "memorisers". Personally I talked about the loyalty of Ophelia to Polonius and Hamlet, the affect of paranoia on Hamlet's loyalty and the ghosts power over Hamlet's conscience as a result of his loyalty. About 25 quotes and about 10 quotes from various critics... 18+ i think

Heshy

HSC
lol u go 2 killara... ull beat ur entire school if u memorise a page
but yeah i had a memorized essay which i moulded easy to the question cause i had context, relationships and development, all three required in this question

roar84eighty

HSC
N/A
he was loyal to staying true to fucking cunts up and being a ruthless mothafucka e.g. rosencrantz + guildy got pumped, polonius was shanked, laertes got served in the grave and claudius wasted

ray268

HSC
just a thought guys... when they said "loyalty"
they dont mean a theme of loyalty right?
I interpreted as how this text has the ability to generate an evolving spectrum of responses...

am i wrong?

tku336

HSC
I think they meant the theme of loyalty/disloyalty.I had to make it up as I went, basically cuttign down my prepared essay and inserting bullshit like "Inaction in Hamlet acts as a vechile through which Shakespeare reinforces the value of loyalty ... *bullshit about not killing Claudius* shows ... uhhh ... loyalty to the Elizabethan construct of the Great Chain of Being prevalant in the play's context ... uhh"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)