Hamlet - loyalty WTF??? (1 Viewer)

Drewx

HSC
Is it me or was this question too precise and not broad enough to constitute as a HSC exam question. I really had trouble getting my quotes to fit the question as I had next to none that related to loyalty at all.

Did anyone else think this or am I the only one?

BrookeMaree

HSC
Is it me or was this question too precise and not broad enough to constitute as a HSC exam question. I really had trouble getting my quotes to fit the question as I had next to none that related to loyalty at all.

Did anyone else think this or am I the only one?
I realy liked this question didnt know shit about Hamlet but question made it easy to talk about who was loyal to who etc..

TaraBella

HSC
Eh I found it alright. I did the loyalty between gertrude and hamlet, about hamlets loyalty to his father and how the lack of loyalty gertrude showed to his father. And about because of Hamlet's loyalty, he was driven to avenge his father etc. I made the question work for me.

x_symphonic

HSC
i reckon it was okay. You can tie in several quotes with loyalty AND disloyalty.

katerebecca

HSC
Talked about use of antithesis, Shakespeare shows us about disloyalty ;) I loved it. Did hardly any prep so it was good for me.

Tulii

Like the sun will rise.
HSC
The question said 'To what extent' did your interpretation support that view.You didn't have to centre the whole thing on loyalty, The question invited you to include what other human experiences in 'Hamlet' were reinforced. Particulary those that that had meaning for you.I talked about the exploration of the meaning of existence, as it is a relevant aspect of the human condition, for all contexts.

freaky.styly

HSC
its just a contorted excuse to talk about textual integrity/ readings blah blah mine was just existentialism, hamlet's ontological relationship with life/death. prob a 17

Blobulator

HSC
I found it a fine question really. Linked fairly easily with all that filial duty stuff and his loyalty to his father. Threw in some Laertes comparisons with Hamlet in regards to loyalty to Ophelia and action as well for good measure. Worked fairly well with all the ideas and quotes I'd prepared since they centred around human experience and filial duty anyway, just had to tweak it slightly. I was pleased, heh.

roar84eighty

HSC
N/A
The question said 'To what extent' did your interpretation support that view.You didn't have to centre the whole thing on loyalty, The question invited you to include what other human experiences in 'Hamlet' were reinforced. Particulary those that that had meaning for you.

I talked about the exploration of the meaning of existence, as it is a relevant aspect of the human condition, for all contexts.
yes while i agree with this, teachers (such as those who marked our trials) view this counter-argument as evidence of your lack of knowledge on that particular issue.

but i hope hsc marking isn't like that aye

Safa_2009

HSC
the question was okay i managed o incoporate my readings of corruption and melancholy by stating that there was corruption because of disloyalty(claudius) and that hamlet was melancholic and troubled because of his mothers disloyalty to his father because she married claudius.

blabla91

HSC
I wasn't a big fan... most of my preparation was on meaning and purpose etc but i just talked about the disloyalty in society then the family disloyalty and how this affected hamlet... probably used the word 'disloyal' too much and it wasnt the most structured essay ive ever written

raniaaa

:)
HSC
nah i think you could've swung it many ways. if you talked about deception & appearance vs. reality well that's being disloyal, if you talked about the corruption in denmark well again that's disloyalty to the state.. i talked mainly about the disloyalty of gertrude to the late king hamlet, as well as claudius' disloyalty... and hamlet's loyalty to his father's request for revenge, and rosencrantz & guildenstern's disloyalty to hamlet :)

Tulii

Like the sun will rise.
HSC
yes while i agree with this, teachers (such as those who marked our trials) view this counter-argument as evidence of your lack of knowledge on that particular issue.

but i hope hsc marking isn't like that aye
I've had it cemented into my head that 'To what extent' allows you to extend your answer beyond the specific idea they provide. After all, Hamlet is all about your interpretation. If you honestly did not believe that loyalty was a significant aspect of the play (in your interpretation) and perhaps it was taken away from the focus due to the larger (in my opinion) human experiencesI still talked about how loyalty is reinforced to an extent..through the teetering loyal to disloyal relationship of Hamlet and Ophelia and Horatios never flailing loyalty to Hamlet. But I didnt give it 'stage focus', afte rI explained the other human experiences I thought were more dominating I emphasised why supersede loyalty. Perhaps I am wrong?

Ethanescence

HSC
N/A
Basically the markers aren't going to care whether you thought the play emphasised the importance of loyalty or disloyalty. They care about if you addressed the question or not. Disloyalty still addresses the question, and so does loyalty (or a combination of both). Basically the main discriminators for marks will be: [Addresses an interpretation question of loyalty in the thesis, and throughout the essay] * [An informed response - extensive knowledge of the play, use of vocabulary and good textual evidence] * [Structure of the essay - punctuation, paragraphing, definite introduction, body and conclusion] * [Quality of ideas/themes - how you express the ideas and how indicative they are your own interpretations] * [The overall impact of the essay and how well you developed your thesis]

jessmooka

don't leapfrog unicorns.
HSC
I loved this question... hey did anyone else study different productions of the text? like the movie compared to a Sydney play version? Cos my teacher drilled into us that we had to learn this but i didnt see the point. I chucked in a paragraph on the Oedipus complex, and then the loyalty of Hamlet to his dad, and then Laertes loyalty to Ophelia that drove him to fight halet in O's grave...

monsters

HSC
i loooooved this question. i think where a lot of people will get trapped is trying to encompass a lot of the 'loyalty/disloyalty' concepts in the form of character relationships and situations, where we've been taught to form our own personal interpretation of the text and hence be able to narrow it down in order to enforce our opinion. yes, loyalty is shown by hamlet and laertes and ophelia and horatio, and disloyalty shown by gertrude and claudius. but that's just skimming the surface. you have to have body behind it, linking it all to relevent ideas that contribute to its textual integrity blah blah. but yes. loved it.

Ausy

HSC
It asked if your interpretation supported the idea of loyalty or not, if you just talked about loyalty the whole time and didn't talk about your own reading you kinda went off the point of the essay. That's my opinion though; which is what i understood the question as asking.

Venom.

HSC
Lol Just threw in my themes essay - linked corruption and madness to the concept of disloyalty - significance of hamlet's madness; led to by the overt corruption and disloyalty within society. Probs around a 15-16 I think, who gives a flying fuck English is finally over.

monsters

HSC
Lol Just threw in my themes essay - linked corruption and madness to the concept of disloyalty - significance of hamlet's madness; led to by the overt corruption and disloyalty within society. Probs around a 15-16 I think, who gives a flying fuck English is finally over.
but hamlet isn't mad :)

tku336

HSC
Uh I think the whole point was to deal with loyalty and disloyalty, and how these concepts related to your thesis.

If you mentioned loyalty but then went straight on to your own essay, I highly doubt that will get you above 16.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)