Graduate Medicine (1 Viewer)

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Originally posted by rrp
for grad entry they look at grade point average for undergrad course but hot do they differentiate between difficulty of courses??

eg. one applicant has done law with a lower GPA and another has done arts with a relatively higher GPA, both get same GAMSAT scores. Who gets the interview?
The higher GPA. Courses at uni are not more or less difficult: if it's the right course for you, all that matters is how hard you work. It's your problem if you choose the wrong course.

Mr Wiggle

The Best
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by rrp
for grad entry they look at grade point average for undergrad course but hot do they differentiate between difficulty of courses??

At university there's scaling involved in the courses that you do so if you do a harder course then you get higher mark.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Originally posted by da_best
At university there's scaling involved in the courses that you do so if you do a harder course then you get higher mark.
Yeah, I forgot that, good point.

:D Actuarial

deyveed

School Leaver
HSC
Originally posted by da_best
Is the scaling process similar to the UAI one?

Mr Wiggle

The Best
HSC
N/A
In are way yes but the difference is that in each subject that you do there is only a certain amount of people getting HD and those amount of HD usually belong to harder/higher level subject where they are rewarded for the hardness of the course.

This is simliar to 4u where more people get over 90 than say General because of the scaling involved.

I think Laz will give you guys a better answer than i did when he replys.

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
I'm hoping to get into Grad Medicine. As for my under grad degree, well I'm hoping to get into Arts/Science at Sydney. I wanna major in Archaeology and History (Modern or Ancient)/Classic Civilizations) for Arts and Geoscience and have subjects from Biology, Psychology and Anatonomy/Histology for the Science part. Ok, So I'm kinda undecided, but I know I definatly want to major in Archaeology and Geoscience. (They complement each other ;))

If I don't get into Grad Med, then I'll either try my hand at Post grad research in Archaeology/History or get a Graduate Diploma in Education and become a teacher. But it's 5 years away. Hell, I might even do post grad Archaeology, travel and then come back and apply for Grad Med. LOL.

rrp

HSC
N/A
Its good everyone has a wide range of interests but i yu really wanna do grad med.... wudnt b an advantage to have some background of medical science (that is only if u enjoy)...

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
Nah, apprently it isn't. Your expected to have some knowlage of Science (which the GAMSAT tests) but other than that, nothing is assumed. And the GAMSAT is suppose to be Year 12 level science.

But I've been told (by Sydney Uni Grad. Med department) to do a degree that intrests you, and you will perform well in. They have drawn people from Arts, Law, Science, Allied Health, Nursing, Education --> every faculty. Nobody has a clear advantage over another based on their undergrad degree --> everyone has strenghts, but thats it.

Hope that made sense..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)