getting into unsw commerce with a lower atar? (1 Viewer)

candycrush

HSC
I’ve but the Bachelor of Commerce at UNSW as my first preference for 2020 but due to it’s ridiculously high ATAR guaranteed entry, I probably won’t get in so I was wondering whether a high 80s or low 90s could make it into this degree?? The lowest ATAR they took in last year was 87.95 but that doesn’t mean that student had 9 bonus points added on etc :///

TeheeCat

HSC
Yes, that student probably got in through bonus points. You can receive up to a maximum of 10 bonus points across all UNSW schemes.

Here's one scheme that I know of: basically if you get band 5/6s in certain HSC subjects, they can reward you bonus points (I think max for this scheme is 5? I'm not sure)

https://iaro.online.unsw.edu.au/hsc/hsc.bonus_point

Check the link above to see what results in HSC subjects you need and how much bonus points are offered! For UNSW Commerce, it's pretty much gettng bands 4-6 for all English and Maths subjects except for English Standard and General math.

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
Yes, that student probably got in through bonus points. You can receive up to a maximum of 10 bonus points across all UNSW schemes.
I'm pretty sure Max is 5 everywhere at unsw. I know some unis for e.g. Macquarie and Wsu that give more. Either way if they were below the cutoff with the 5 bonus points then they would've probably got in through special consideration for disadvantaged schools or something like that

fan96

617 pages
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm pretty sure Max is 5 everywhere at unsw. I know some unis for e.g. Macquarie and Wsu that give more. Either way if they were below the cutoff with the 5 bonus points then they would've probably got in through special consideration for disadvantaged schools or something like that
You can get up to 5 points with "HSC Plus", but there are other ways to get more points.

https://www.futurestudents.unsw.edu.au/adjustment-factors-hsc-plus said:
Applicants will be awarded a maximum of 5 points for each UNSW preference. The number of points awarded and the Year 12 subjects considered are specific to individual undergraduate degrees. This means that if you apply for a range of degrees at UNSW you may have a different admission rank for each preference depending on the Year 12 subjects you have completed.

Note: An overall maximum of 10 points can be awarded across all the university's schemes (HSC Plus, EAPL, EAS and UNSW Gateway)

jjnn

HSC
Uni Grad
I’ve but the Bachelor of Commerce at UNSW as my first preference for 2020 but due to it’s ridiculously high ATAR guaranteed entry, I probably won’t get in so I was wondering whether a high 80s or low 90s could make it into this degree?? The lowest ATAR they took in last year was 87.95 but that doesn’t mean that student had 9 bonus points added on etc :///
No, through EAS (UAC) they can award up to ten bonus points to your atar, then they can add up to 5 bonus points from HSC plus (UNSW). So overall you can be rewarded up to 10 bonus points all together (assuming you are given all of the ten points for eas and 5 for hsc plus).

If you really want to do commerce at unsw, but don't get in, don't worry. You can always transfer into it. I suggest choosing another degree within UNSW and wait out a year so then they can consider you to transfer after. This way they won't look at your atar AT ALL, only the marks you get in your first year of uni. The degree you choose to study internally within UNSW doesn't matter, but I suggest you pick Bachelor of economics as it has a lower atar and it usually has the same classes in the first year as commerce first year, so credit transfers is possible there to save you time and money in your commerce degree once you transfer.

If you don't mind what university you want, but want commerce, then of course you can do commerce at usyd or Macquarie (or business at uts or wsu, but keep in mind wsu business isn't accredited, so no point doing business at wsu). Then you can be studying commerce and if you so choose, transfer externally after one year into commerce at unsw, again could potentially do credit transfer then. But keep in mind credit transfers from another university is unlikely SOMETIMES, but is still possible. Other wise you would have to repeat first year commerce at unsw, once you transfer externally.

Sorry for the long response but hope this helped!!! Good luck!!

Last edited:

candycrush

HSC
No, through EAS (UAC) they can award up to ten bonus points to your atar, then they can add up to 5 bonus points from HSC plus (UNSW). So overall you can be rewarded up to 15 bonus points all together (assuming you are given all of the ten points for eas and 5 for hsc plus).

If you really want to do commerce at unsw, but don't get in, don't worry. You can always transfer into it. I suggest choosing another degree within UNSW and wait out a year so then they can consider you to transfer after. This way they won't look at your atar AT ALL, only the marks you get in your first year of uni. The degree you choose to study internally within UNSW doesn't matter, but I suggest you pick Bachelor of economics as it has a lower atar and it usually has the same classes in the first year as commerce first year, so credit transfers is possible there to save you time and money in your commerce degree once you transfer.

If you don't mind what university you want, but want commerce, then of course you can do commerce at usyd or Macquarie (or business at uts or wsu, but keep in mind wsu business isn't accredited, so no point doing business at wsu). Then you can be studying commerce and if you so choose, transfer externally after one year into commerce at unsw, again could potentially do credit transfer then. But keep in mind credit transfers from another university is unlikely SOMETIMES, but is still possible. Other wise you would have to repeat first year commerce at unsw, once you transfer externally.

Sorry for the long response but hope this helped!!! Good luck!!
thank you for the long response btw! i looked on the credit transfer guide of unsw and found 6 out of 8 course codes from uts that match up with unsw. does that mean if they get approved, i will not have to repeat those courses??

jjnn

HSC
Uni Grad
thank you for the long response btw! i looked on the credit transfer guide of unsw and found 6 out of 8 course codes from uts that match up with unsw. does that mean if they get approved, i will not have to repeat those courses??
Yes, if they do get approved then you don't have to repeat those courses. But if they don't and I heard they usually won't if you're not coming from a GO8 uni (which I think is silly) then you will have to unfortunately repeat them. But fingers crossed they do get approved, you never know.

Sorry for the late reply, I only saw the message now hehe, good luck and hope you get accepted!!!

EDIT: Also remember, you can't apply for course credit transfer until after you got accepted to the degree, so just try and get into the course first then apply for credit transfer after.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)