Getting into Computer Science (1 Viewer)

Zen2613

HSC
N/A
Hey all,
So I've just finished my hsc and am contemplating what to do with my life. I'm (weirdly) more a maths person so I was thinking doing an advance math degree or advanced science with math units at UNSW or USYD. Except I'm kinda worried about employment opportunities, so I'm thinking of trying out computer science and going in that direction (since in this day and age, if you can code, you've pretty much got the world in your hands). How would I try this out and see if I like it ? I have no idea where to start... Any ideas ?
PS. I did not do any computer related subjects in my hsc.

astroman

HSC
Look at coding tutorials on YT. e.g. python, java, html, c, c++. Coding has a steep learning curve but the efforts are worthwhile. It's by no means the most fun thing to do but the challenging aspect makes it enjoyable to many people.

xetamine

HSC
Start learning how to code and see if you like it. Give it a couple of months before you set your mind. Then remember that the companies you really want to work for hire smart people that has proven themselves, and a degree will hardly give you a job. Make your own programs, apps and websites, contribute to open source projects, pick up technologies, stacks, and algorithms yourself.

If you show yourself to be capable in this industry, you won't have trouble getting a job. I just finished my hsc and it's my second day of work at a super awesome company.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)