General Thoughts: English Advanced Paper 2 (2 Viewers)

aimeme

HSC
Re: WORSE PAPER EVER MADE .... Thoughts?

you think thats bad?

fuck the kid coming first in our grade has just regurgitated last years top students responses

its fuckin unfair

the whole education system is flawed
:/ isn't there a very strict policy about plagiarism?

isenseven

Premium Member
HSC
Quick question though. If you referred to the closing scene, but didn't focus on the extract would you be penalised. It never said to focus on the extract in your response... Just saying
This is exactly what i did, i just spoke about my generic ideas and linked them back to the final scene in the end linking sentence of each idea. Hope that will get me 12 atleast :smile:

michaeljennings

HSC
Exactly, you could use quotes throughout the play to indicate how the closing scenes fulfill the themes developed throughout.

For example I discuss how the final scene climactically signals Hamlet's evolution into a figurative "soldier" from his starting point at the beginning of the play as a "scholar". The closing scenes validate this bildungsroman development.

Similarly, the closing scenes also poignantly establish the futility of revenge etc.

there is plenty of opportunity to reference a lot of the play as long as it was central to your thesis of why the closing scenes lend textual integrity to the play.
Yeah this.

I interpreted the idea of the question as drawing the key ideas/themes from the closing scene provided and use it as a springboard for your judgement/perception of the rest of the novel. A thorough analysis of the 'closing scenes' wasn't really necessary.

Arcelia

HSC
I took 'closing scenes' to mean 'last act' and then talked about how the last act resolves underlying threads of thematic thought that permeate the play - my two main points were crisis of mortality/OHNOESIWANTTOKILLMYSELF and corruption. Our teacher didn't actually go through the end of the play with us so I was forced to use some fairly nonexistent techniques and try and make them sound real...

The other questions were okay though.

bigbirdbanana

HSC
It specified the "closing scenes" not jsut the last speech by Fortinbras.
I think they were doing the series of speeches as their prescribed text, not Hamlet. For that one they usually just talk about them generally or pick one themselves, but this year the boar picked one of the speeches and said they had to make detailed reference to that. I feel so bad for the people who had speeches, poems etc! :(

vemanjj

HSC
Uni Grad
module A = It was easier than the question from last year, which was strange!?
module B = Interesting and fair. If you hadn't studied Act 5 of Hamlet you were screwed.
module C = This was predictable, but annoying as it usually focuses on either CP or rep., not both, but this question forced you to look at both of them. Also only allowing one text was interesting.

Overall I liked the paper. There were no nasty surprises.
Not really for module B, even if you just knew your own response to the end you could argue that it only contributes to a small extent to the judgement of the play as a whole. That's what I did, Hamlet is portrayed as a hero at the end yet throughout the play we see that he is corrupt always wanting to make his 'thoughts be bloody'. My response was to all the people dying and how I thought whether they deserved that or not. And went through the whole time saying a small extent. I also talked about genre and how making a judgement of a revenge tragedy based on your response to the completion is like making a judgement of a book based on your response to the end - you have to see the exposition, anticipation, confrontation and delay. To me, your response to the other parts leads to a large extent a judgement of what you think should happen in the end and what does happen.

acemusic415

HSC
Not really for module B, even if you just knew your own response to the end you could argue that it only contributes to a small extent to the judgement of the play as a whole. That's what I did, Hamlet is portrayed as a hero at the end yet throughout the play we see that he is corrupt always wanting to make his 'thoughts be bloody'. My response was to all the people dying and how I thought whether they deserved that or not. And went through the whole time saying a small extent. I also talked about genre and how making a judgement of a revenge tragedy based on your response to the completion is like making a judgement of a book based on your response to the end - you have to see the exposition, anticipation, confrontation and delay. To me, your response to the other parts leads to a large extent a judgement of what you think should happen in the end and what does happen.
+1

I also said that the closing scenes were a partial response and indication of the text as a whole because the question allowed for some lee-way with the inclusion of "to what extent".

yours

HSC
At the same time, it reads as though you didn't know the last part of the play if you didn't reference it properly. If you legitimately reject it and provide evidence, then it's convincing, but if you simply ignore it, it shows a lack of knowledge.

The weaker student will say: No, this question is wrong, here is the stuff I remembered.
The stronger student will tackle the ending scenes, or work to disprove their importance.

I suppose the point I'm making is you had to make at least some reference (quotes!) to Act 5, regardless of your thesis.

Last edited:

HSC
Uni Grad
At the same time, it reads as though you didn't know the last part of the play if you didn't reference it properly. If you legitimately reject it and provide evidence, then it's convincing, but if you simply ignore it, it shows a lack of knowledge.

The weaker student will say: No, this question is wrong, here is the stuff I remembered.
The stronger student will tackle the ending scenes, or work to disprove their importance.

I suppose the point I'm making is you had to make at least some reference (quotes!) to Act 5, regardless of your thesis.
ouch the weaker student thingo was exactly what I did... looks like I'm not gonna get any higher than 14 now...
Fuck I should've changed my intro a bit =_=

vemanjj

HSC
Uni Grad

Well they may look at it this way but it is an opinion module, they cannot really say either way whether your wrong. You just need to argue your point either way :)

HSC
i didnt think the module b hamlet question was too bad....i mean it was pretty much centrally concerned with textual integrity. I pretty much tried to disprove the central premise of the extract and how the closing scenes cant be used to make an overarching judgement of the play

addicts

Officially Insane
HSC
i knew my text quite well and feel good about how the paper went.. i thought they would've asked for a different text type, so seeing a small section of a poem was a surprise.

kalibali

HSC
Module A: Frankenblade was amazing!!! Anyone could of killed that question
Module B: Hamlet was a bit iffy, however the question was overall general, so the markers should be open to difference of opinion.
Module C: Fiftieth Gate, most General question ever!
THANKYOU BOS!

Chrissiee

Frost Yourselves
HSC
LOVED PAPER 2
Justice game, EBB and Gatsby, Citizen Kane - all great questions!
esp citizen kane wiew so geed.

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad

Isn't next year's English syllabus different? If so, this was the last time they could with fuck you (specific poem, exert and etc).

HSC
Uni Grad

Isn't next year's English syllabus different? If so, this was the last time they could with fuck you (specific poem, exert and etc).
The syllabus is going to remain the same until possibly 2014, when they might implement the national curriculum around the time (or even later).

yours

HSC

The syllabus is going to remain the same until possibly 2014, when they might implement the national curriculum around the time (or even later).
so belonging will live on for 2 years?

silence--

HSC

i think 2012 is last year for belonging (AOS changes every 3-4 years from memory)

nerdfighter

HSC
dont worry, the markers will know it was a crap question and give you a better mark :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)