General Thoughts: English Advanced Paper 2 (1 Viewer)

mellarr

HSC
Re: WORSE PAPER EVER MADE .... Thoughts?

Pretty happy with the paper...

Module B is perfect, all those Asians with pre-prepared essays about how themes shaped their judgment of the play as a whole could fail and fuck off. Seriously, this is the best idea ever from the Board of Studies. I did an anlysis on the transformation of Hamlet, and why these passages are said about him, which basically treats him AS a hero. So my personal response to it is merely a reflection and to a minimal extent had shaped my judgment of the play as a whole. But I supported my judgement throughout the whole text and did a significant analysis of the last scene in Hamlet 'The rest is silent'. +
isn't that stereotyping gone a bit too far, come on we all know non asians who do exactly the same.

cloudstr1f3r

HSC

isn't that stereotyping gone a bit too far, come on we all know non asians who do exactly the same.
Yes we do... but don't you get a little bit annoyed when they are ranked first in everything by memorising 10 essays for the half yearly and trials?

Evamorgana

HSC
I knew they would specify a text in module B! Knew it! I was prepared for all Harwood poems- turned out that it's not that bad to have one specified. Kind of helped you make your selection. Other modules were pretty predictable.... I am so relieved that i never have to agonise over any of those texts again!

Evamorgana

HSC

Yes we do... but don't you get a little bit annoyed when they are ranked first in everything by memorising 10 essays for the half yearly and trials?
Know what you mean. Thats ridiculous- anyone who does that (unless English is your life and passion- what you live and breathe) get a life!

cloudstr1f3r

HSC

Know what you mean. Thats ridiculous- anyone who does that (unless English is your life and passion- what you live and breathe) get a life!
Education is not about memory, but about educating the mind. ALL ASIANS SHOULD READ JOHN LOCKE.

Evamorgana

HSC

WOOO! last english exam evveeeeeeeeeeeer! :DDDDDDDD

lol jks, got 3U exam in 2 weeks ;(

module A - okay
module B - threw me off at first but l actually think l went okay
module C - okay

for some reason, l actually felt better during this one than the AOS.
Same here- creative writing left me with a bad taste in my mouth- so to speak. Does anyone else find it really hard to get into 'creative mode' during test conditions? I mean, I'm an artist and I've been runner up in creative writing competitions before. I'm not bad at creative writing, but with the pressure of an exam and time constraints I find it near impossible to think imaginatively!

Evamorgana

HSC

True. Regurgitating essays your tutor probably wrote isn't of merit.

cloudstr1f3r

HSC

True. Regurgitating essays your tutor probably wrote isn't of merit.
Exactly, and the BOS had been missing the point of this for so many years....

I see a change in either module c or a next year, into something a lot more thought provoking and not an ability of memory...

I mean come on, what is the merit of remembering something which is not your work and getting a band 6 in english? No point at all!

Sculzyoner

HSC

Not everyone has the gifted minds of a select few on this forum. In the meantime people will continue to memorise essays.

jessxxxr

HSC

Pride and Prejudice/Letters to Alice- great
Julius Caesar- great
Kenneth Slessor- fuck youuuuuu!!!

SpreadTheWord

HSC
The questions for my topics:
Q1Elective 2: texts in time
Blade Runner Frankenstein
In what ways does a competitive study accentuate the distinctive contexts of Frankenstein and Blade Runner?

Hamlet
*Fortinbras' final speech before the play ends*
On the context of your critical study, to what extent does your response to the closing scenes of Hamlet inform your judgement of the play as a whole?
In your response, make detailed reference to Hamlet.

Ted Hughes Birthday Letters
Explore how the poetry of Ted Hughes and ONE other related text of your own choosing represent conflicting perspectives in unique and evocative ways.
Blade Runner/ Franky you can ellaborate on how they conflict with their values for their times, and through this they are able to create specific meaning synonymous to their distinctive context. That's what i did, and this is an easy element to add to your thesis, and thus you will obviously get more marks for relating to your thesis consistently.

Hamlet i basically said how revenge and the mystery of death are linked, through the use of the great chain of being as a catalyst, and

bs'd from there on. I will be lucky to get 8/20 on that.

I only want 70 from A. English. Considering the amount of work i've put in; i at least deserve that.

Last edited:

bigbirdbanana

HSC

Same here- creative writing left me with a bad taste in my mouth- so to speak. Does anyone else find it really hard to get into 'creative mode' during test conditions? I mean, I'm an artist and I've been runner up in creative writing competitions before. I'm not bad at creative writing, but with the pressure of an exam and time constraints I find it near impossible to think imaginatively!
Same! I even wrote a short story for my extension two major work but exam conditions just don't help with the creative juices! I was really unprepared for such a strong emphasis on places in Paper 1, esp in the essay because it's usually way more generic.

In contrast, Paper 2 usually specifies a theme or something, but i found that they were the most generic questions ever! (I did Hamlet though so Module B was okay for me, I feel so bad for all you people with speeches/poems).

Module A was essentially the name of the module, didn't ask for anything specific so we could look at whatever themes/values we wanted. Module B threw me at first, but it also didn't ask for anything specific so i just said what i thought were the main ideas of the play then related it back to how they were presented in the final scenes etc. Module C for History and Memory was the most generic question ever!

So relieved, i was just able to use my prepared answers for A and C, then pretty easily make it up for B. Thank goodness!!!

Tsunayoshi

Full Time Mime
HSC
The Hamlet Question made me rage inside. Never seen such a STUPID question!! Frankenstein/Bladerunner was quite easy, and so was Fiftieth Gate. Overall, maybe a Band 5? :\

K

kindersurprise

That exam was easier than catching an STI at a Vietnamese whorehouse. The band 6 cutoff will probably be the highest ever. Please stop whining, you delinquents.

Harber

HSC

I found Mod B ok, i just wrote a generic essay (my themes were: lack of balance between action and moral responsibility, and abuse of power leading to victimisation)... so in those paragraphs i would say stuff like "Thus it is fitting for Shakespeare to have the closing scene permeated by death to show the severity of the ideas and bring to the fore these provocative ideas bla bla bla"

Mod A (frank/BR), Mod C (fiftieth gate) were pretty generic

biglongy

HSC

That exam was easier than catching an STI at a Vietnamese whorehouse. The band 6 cutoff will probably be the highest ever. Please stop whining, you delinquents.
I hope you fail, jerk.

A-Nonentity

HSC

Module C- Best essay I have ever written under exam conditions
Module A- gluggy, I got all my information in but am not expecting to go so well because the 'different contexts' being highlighted instead of their similarities annoyingly threw me off bigggg time.
Module B- When I saw the question I swore under my breath like a Mo-fo, but the actual essay ended up semi decentish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)