gap year (1 Viewer)

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
is it worth taking a year off just to work, and earn some money, see i have a job at the moment, which will continue, so i am wondering is it worth taking a year off, see before uni i need a car and stuff, and my P's which i need soon, and i think that a year off would be good but I am also excited about Uni.

any advice from people who have taken a a year off is it worth it?

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Most people who have done it that I know, haven't come back, and kept working.

Pacchiru

like bonnie and clyde
HSC
yeah but once you take a year off, it will be difficult for you to get back into the routine of studying and devoting your time to uni.

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
I am pumped for uni, already.

If i take a year off i might do a course by correspondence through cengage.

Or just take 6 months off

Leggs

HSC
I took a year off and spent 6 months earning money and 6 months travelling.
I kinda liked the freedom after 13 years in school. Makes the next 5 at uni seem pretty easy.

Joel8945

HSC
emytaylor164 said:
is it worth taking a year off just to work, and earn some money, see i have a job at the moment, which will continue, so i am wondering is it worth taking a year off, see before uni i need a car and stuff, and my P's which i need soon, and i think that a year off would be good but I am also excited about Uni.

any advice from people who have taken a a year off is it worth it?
why do you need a car to do uni? With taking a gap year my advice depends on what kind of person you are; did year 12 seem like a tiring never ending bummer? OR did year 12 seem like an enjoyable year that you enjoyed overall and something you tried your best in? The thing is whether you feel you can cope with another 3-5 years (or 8+ years depending on degree), but let me say something else; Going to uni increases your potential salary and a uni year is basically shorter than a school year. Do you want a challenging and rewarding year? Do you want to go straight into full time work? I've just finished VCE and going straight to uni because I made up my mind to further my education as it has been a HUGE part of my life and a part I really enjoy. Do be warned that I have heard from people that those who take a GAP year will be less inclined to want to go to uni as what they are doing is something they have adjusted to. If you are wanting to do a Masters or a PhD I would say for you to start uni right after yea 12.

Peartie

HSC
i took a gap year and went to England. I felt that after the HSC and all I just wanted to go Overseas - do what I wanted to do rather than assignments and things. I think that by taking th eyear off it actually helped me in being able to really enjoy my first year because I was relaxed and refreshed...

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
A car is my way of getting there otherwise it is like 4 hour, bus and train rides.

I am think i am just going to do 6 months or maybe a year.

I think the break will be good. and give me the time to look for another Job cos i will not be able to work this one around uni.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)