GAP year in France? (1 Viewer)

foxster

HSC
Hi
I am wanting to go on a gap year in France-probably trying to stay in a boarding house and help at the school (hopefully with a wage!).

Firstly, I was wondering if anyone knows if this is possible, or if anyone has done it before.

Secondly, I wrote a draft email that I would probably send to ppl in france-was wondering if ppl could read it, and tell me how to improve!

Thanks a lot,
Foxster

malkin86

HSC
Talk to your careers adviser, your language head teacher, and your local chapter of Rotary - they may be able to help you.

beccabum

hung up
in the outer suburbs of the middle of nowhere
HSC
If you go to STA travel (the agency or website --> www.statravel.com.au/livelearn) they can give you brochures for au pairing, nannying, working overseas, TESOL/TEFL courses.

GAP inc I am pretty sure doesn't have places in France, but there are some in Quebec, Canada (try www.gapaustralia.org).

The exchange agency EF has an au pairing program, but I have a feeling its only for the USA. Worth investigating anyway.

It is good if you know somebody in France who has a connection with a boarding school, try exchange students, French teachers, friends-of-a-friend etc.

There could be some websites of schools in France who are looking for boarding house supervisors, just look around.

Don't just limit yourself to thinking of France - what about Belgium or Switzerland? Or even some of the French Territories eg. French West Indies, New Caledonia?

I read your letter, it seems good to me.

In your letter you said that you went to a private school. Does your school have any connections with overseas schools? I know some do and can place students and ex-students in schools o-s for tutoring and help in class.

Hope my rambling helped! Tell me how you go!

chepas

HSC
The Lonely Planet guide books have an online Forum thorntree.lonelyplanet.com, and there are often threads in the Europe forum concerning this. There is a special Gap Year forum as well -> http://thorntree.lonelyplanet.com/categories.cfm?catid=58

For working as an aid in the boading school,
Re: Working in France, it is often very hard to get an actual working visa unless you have eveyr minute detail sorted, and sponsorship from company etc. The French don't like issuing them much to foreigners at all, the philosophy being "If the position can be filled by a French person/citizen/resident etc, a foreigner can't have it", so before working it'd be a good idea to have a story sorted out. Hopefully the school's would like to take on a young enthusiastic French learner!

beccabum mentions the EF agency. While they don't have an Au Pair system in France, you can also do an internship programme with a company, and the best part is that it's EF who does all the legwork. Though from memory the interships were only about 8 weeks long. Check it out at www.ef.com. But from what your intentions are it doesn't seem like your cup of tea.

Try the LP message boards. Might be something else of worth?

(My rambling crap probably no help but anyway. Hehe.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)