GAP YEAR...anyone? (1 Viewer)

liger

HSC
I'm going on gap year to england at a boarding school...anyone else doing something similar? I rekkon taking a year off will be soo worthwhile, i couldnt stand going from school straight to uni, i would probably die of frustration.

coolioes

HSC
oh thats great! boarding school will be heaps of fun. are you going "year 13" there or are you doing volunteer work ie. tutoring? do you know which school your going to yet?

yeah im thinking of a kind-of GAP year. Im thinking of going on exchange to Chile in Sth America to learn some Spanish and then after i would like to go to France to work and see my family there- i love the idea of travelling. but im just not 100% sure its a good idea to take a GAP year, everyone including my parents are trying to convince me not to go!!

so has anyone done a GAP year on exchange and have any feed back or advice?

liger

HSC
yeh im going to a school near london which is awesome and i think ill just be a student tutor or sporting coach and supervisor that kind of thing. As it's just a primary school i doubt ill have to do much hard yakka.
Don't listen to what ur parents say! Have they actually spoekn to anyone who's done gap? everyone i've spoken to have said they totally don't regret taking a gap year, i think it really helps you mature and become more independent. Plus you're not just going straight from school to uni to full time job..coz you get a rest. And you get time to fully think about what you want to do the year after, what courses etc etc. I think what you're planning to do sounds great! I'll definately be going to France during the summer break, it sounds beautiful, plus i know i tiny bit of French so that's gotta help.
Haha, have i persuaded you yet?

HSC
me!
posting this from helsinki :)

i agree re: frustration.. i would be doing so badly if i was at uni now, hsc drained all my ability to memorise pointless stuff :p

hopefully by next year i'll be refreshed and ready to actually get up in the morning and go to lectures :)

stephanieb8

HSC
hey im only in yr11 but im thinking of doing a gap year when i finish. I was thinkin of going to a boarding school too.. wot company or organization did u use??

ladyknight

HSC
Yeah, here's to writing from Turkey!

İnstead of taking a full year off, İ left at the start of January for 4 months İtalıan lessons in Firenze (my family joining me there in March), a month with them in a campervan touring around Europe (8300km!), and İm here alternating between İstanbul and İzmir untill a week before the second semester of MQ Uni at the end of July...

İ stil cant believe we packed in so much into such a short time, but the language school, famıly İ stayed with for the 2 months, tour- İt was all amazing, and it sounds corny but İ learned heaps about myself and how to cope. İ wouldnt really recommend a year off though- far too long.

liger

HSC
ummm i didn't go through a program, i just organised it myself. I emailed various schools in england with a letter explaining what i could bring to the school and then i attatched my cv. This way is definately cheaper than going through a program like GAP, but u have to persevere with it. I sent out at least 35 letter and only got about 10 replies (8 of which said no) so you have be patient. I would organise it probly in the summer holidays at the latest. If you need to find some schools, google 'good schools guide uk' and go to the website. Follow the links and search for the type of school you'd like to work in. hope that helps!

goldengirl

HSC
next year im going on a gap year...with GAPaustralia. im going to the uk in a caring position, so ill be assisting disabled people essentially. i think itll probably be extremely emotionally challenging, but really, really good for me. i cant wait to be honest. the thought of going to uni straight after school...well if i had that knowledge, i dont think id be coping well with hsc right now. the only thing thats keeping me sane and on track is the knowledge that while this year is painful, at least next yera ill get to RELAX!!!
wow that word is foreign to me atm...

liger

HSC
ohh wimbledon nice! I'm so excited about leaving, but I'll be devo having to leave my friends! I know someone who did caring in England goldengirl, she had the best time in her life. She said that she didn't get as must holidays as other people doing tching and stuff, but she really enjoyed the challenge!

emilyadam

HSC
Hi my name is Emily Adamczyk.
I am currently studying my last year at high school in Australia, but I am looking to take a gap year, as a student teacher at a boarding school in England 2010. Just wondering if anyone has any info :) I.e schools, what I have to do etc :)

TA xx

Luba91

HSC
I also am looking to take a year gap, but not sure what to do :S
My parents don't really want me to, plus i dont have the money...
So i'm trying to figure out a good way to make it all work out...
Any one with good ideas?

Thnx :)

amol

HSC
Yeah, here's to writing from Turkey!

İnstead of taking a full year off, İ left at the start of January for 4 months İtalıan lessons in Firenze (my family joining me there in March), a month with them in a campervan touring around Europe (8300km!), and İm here alternating between İstanbul and İzmir untill a week before the second semester of MQ Uni at the end of July...

İ stil cant believe we packed in so much into such a short time, but the language school, famıly İ stayed with for the 2 months, tour- İt was all amazing, and it sounds corny but İ learned heaps about myself and how to cope. İ wouldnt really recommend a year off though- far too long.
I'd love to take some time off after Year 12 but agree that a year seems way too long... so what u did was complete the equivalent of first semester at MQ uni but during the actual second semester? how does this fit in w everyone elses degrees and is it difficutl to arrange?

iNerd

Banned
HSC
it's fun.
but srs. big waste of time and money
got to uni, finish your degree
then go do whatever
or go make money =]
i was going to take a gap year...

black_kat_meow

hihiwhywhy
HSC
It is NOT a big waste of time and money, don't listen to this person.

For one, they have not even finished Year 11, let alone Year 12, and also they have not had a GAP year.

I did mine rather unusually, I was having a miserable time at school, had moved interstate at the beginning of Year 11 and absolutely hated it, was failing some subjects. So I applied for a scholarship to for a year long student exchange program with AFS Intercultural Programs and had a year off between Year 11 and 12.

I learnt so much and experienced so many things that would not have been possible back home.

If anyone wants more info, just PM me, but it's an amazing experience you'll never regret. If you're not sure about heading straight into uni, don't, it's a bad idea. You will come back far more motivated and with a better direction in life after a year off. I know people now who headed straight into uni unsure, now they are going to take time off, they just can't do the whole uni thing right now.

Oh, and people, you don't have to take a WHOLE year off, remember, some courses allow you to begin second semester too, if you'd prefer that.

Peartie

HSC
I worked at a Boarding School in England for a GAP year back in 06...it was a great experience! I went through an organisation because it was that much easier - although i did try some individual school as well.

The Problem with organising it individually is for visas you need to be able to show you can support yourself (ie have x amount of pounds or get parents to write a letter saying they will financially support you).

I say GO! Gap years are awesome, well at least mine was, and when I was back in Europe this year I went back to the school I was at in England to say hi to everyone - met people back in 06 whom I still talk to and get along with today....

ceparsons

HSC
I worked at a Boarding School in England for a GAP year back in 06...it was a great experience! I went through an organisation because it was that much easier - although i did try some individual school as well.

The Problem with organising it individually is for visas you need to be able to show you can support yourself (ie have x amount of pounds or get parents to write a letter saying they will financially support you).

I say GO! Gap years are awesome, well at least mine was, and when I was back in Europe this year I went back to the school I was at in England to say hi to everyone - met people back in 06 whom I still talk to and get along with today....
Hi Peartie, i was just wondering what organization you went through then, I'm really interested in going next year, but I don't even know where to start looking!
Thanks

Peartie

HSC
went through Gap Australia...now something like Lattitude.....

there is also Tutors Worldwide which are a good one

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)