For the 2 Unit kids.. (1 Viewer)

-cathie-

HSC
How well do your schools cover the kind of questions asked in this years paper...?! Personally i think the test doesn't seem to coincide with the course work you do throughout the year too well...

It would have been a lot more accessible for those doing three unit.

Sucks that 2unit and 3unit are thrown in together...!

HSC
N/A
-cathie- said:
How well do your schools cover the kind of questions asked in this years paper...?! Personally i think the test doesn't seem to coincide with the course work you do throughout the year too well...

It would have been a lot more accessible for those doing three unit.

Sucks that 2unit and 3unit are thrown in together...!

yep i thought the test was pretty challenging...
at the end of the last few questions it really felt like i was doing some 3u questions.

i felt really bad for some of my 2u friends.... it must be pretty hard for them...

overall bos got us back for an easy aos and english module

HSC
i agree!

i reckon questions 1-9 were pretty accessible for 2 unit students.... i mean, its almost always going to be an easier paper for the majority of 3 unit students than the 2 unit students... thats the point of an extension subject....

but i think question 10 didnt really lend itself to the 2 unit course. I mean, i could recognise some concepts there, but it was difficult to figure it all out together. As for the second part of question 10, i dont see the direct link to the 2 unit course at all!

Those questions r just there for the real smart cookies to kick the rest of our arses!

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
q10 part2 was really easy for me- but I love probability.

But I think the paper was really challenging- much moreso than anything we were expecting.

borkis04

You have been blocked.
Arse of the World, Syd being the arsehole :D
HSC
I find that throughout the year..i do much simpler activities...except when the exams come up..possible bcoz of the 3U guys..the questions just seem so mangled and manipulated...so i cant work out for the life of me to use which formula or watever..there are so many steps in each answer...that uses such varied elements of the course. Maths sucks. Thank god its over!

Maths aim - (raw mark) - 60%
NO MORE MATHS! YIPEE!

julse

HSC
the concepts are there, just hidden... which sucks!

borkis04 said:
I find that throughout the year..i do much simpler activities...except when the exams come up..possible bcoz of the 3U guys..the questions just seem so mangled and manipulated...so i cant work out for the life of me to use which formula or watever..there are so many steps in each answer...that uses such varied elements of the course. Maths sucks. Thank god its over!

Maths aim - (raw mark) - 60%
NO MORE MATHS! YIPEE!

I agree...... the text book questions make you feel like your at the top of your game cause you learn the concept, then practice it over and over again. I realise we do have the oppurtunity to practice "extended questions"... or alike but this is voluntary... and I am so not up for that! Don't give me the option, just tell me to do it! I think the questions are manipulated terribly.... on first glance in that paper, I was like.. cool! I know this one, but then by the time I had used two other concepts to get to the one that the question was about, my mind was stuffed and I was so confused. My problem is I get out an answer and it looks all weird... so I doubt myself and change it.... why can't I trust myself?!!
ARGH....

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
The problem is in my school they integrate 2u and 3u so much- it's hard to differentiate what should be studied for today and what for Thursday ><

HSC
our school did cssa trials.. grr! They were so easy! Well, not easy for me, but compared to the hsc! The whole trial, in difficulty, was like question 1-6 in the hsc..ahhhhhhhhhhh

rowan brand

Q 10 was on parametrics

Last time i checked THAT WAS A 3 UNIT TOPIC

How can it be fair for teh board of studies to include 3 U questions in teh 2U paper. It is simply a joke.

For those ppl who studdies their 2U work back to front, they coldnt even do the question. THAT IS A JOKE AND IS UNJUST>>>>>>> BOARD OF STUDIES YOU SUCK!

xbitterflyx

Batmaniac
HSC
Well I taught myself most of the course because my teacher was a dick and didnt finish the course.

I went into a few other threads and all these people are saying that people who found it hard just didnt manage their time or study but I did both and I still found it hard. And I do believe it had 3 unit in it because I did 3 unit originally, when I had a good teacher, and she made it quite clear what was 3 unit and 2 unit and there were some parts that I couldnt do without the three unit things.

Thank god I dropped three unit though.

But Im just sick of being told that the only reason I found it hard or that I "think" it had 3 unit bits in it because Im just stupid and didnt study enough because I did thank you.

That test sucked.

^___^
HSC
rowan brand said:
Q 10 was on parametrics

Last time i checked THAT WAS A 3 UNIT TOPIC

the name "parametrics" is a 3u topic alone
but 2u also cover related topic, that would be known as "locus"; although i have yet to read the paper properly, i am assuming thats the topic q10 was based on

rama_v

HSC
Questino 10 was certainly not parametrics
Parametrics is when you express a formula in terms of another variable, for example t
e.g. x^2 = 4ay can be expressed as x = 2at and y = at^2
Thats parametrics
Question 10 was locus/parabola stuff
Certainly not 3 unit...

Timesplitter 01

Lord Timesplitter
HSC
Can I just say that I have looked over what you HSCer's had to do this year for the exam, I did my HSC last year, and I am shocked how much reading was required

Plus Question 6b from the 2005 HSC Maths exam was almost or exactly ( with the same values) like a question my year got in the TRAIL HSC of 2004

amanda_lorraine

2 unit

I Feel The Exam Was Hard, But If Ppl Are Complaining About Parametrics Then They Just Want Something To Complain About.
Question 10 Was Just Harder Application Of Geometry. And Locus Was A Topic We Took About 1 Week To Cover. I Mean, One Of The Questions Was Just An Area Question, With Huge Numbers.

Besides All This, The Way You Go Is Only Relative To How Everyone Else Goes. If The Exam Was Easy, Then Ppl Would Have Gone Better Than You Anyway.

mcbec

HSC
i do 2U (not 3), but i agree that 10b is actually 2U work.... i know, its very very hard, i couldnt get it out... but i saw the answer to it from someone and its so damn simple when u think about it!!!!!!
they gave u the inequalities (x+y>15, x-y<15, or something like that), they ttried to trick people into believing it was a really hard PROBABILITY question, when in fact it was a CO-ORDINATE GEOMETRY question!!!! they gave u the inequalities, and the diagram (the square) so all u had to do was draw the lines y=15-x (taken from x+y=15) and y=x-15 (taken from x-y=15), solve the inequliaties (ie, test what side of the line its on) and shade the area between them. then find this area, which comes out to be a fraction, and thats ur probability!!!

(its a lot simpler on paper than trying to explain it) it takes about not even half a page to do..
then for the part (iii) u just work backwards, putting in P = 1/2 and find what t is...

it never comes to me in the exam tho, its always hours later that i realise! lol

TheHeretic

amanda_lorraine said:
Besides All This, The Way You Go Is Only Relative To How Everyone Else Goes. If The Exam Was Easy, Then Ppl Would Have Gone Better Than You Anyway.
Because 3 unit students already practice harder questions, the 3 unit students marks are going to fall less than the 2 unit students, who rely heavily on intermediately toned marks. When you add a greater number of difficult questions, the top 2 unit students and 3 unit students still go well: as they are naturally able concerning difficult questions. The 2 unit students find their marks decreasing as they are able to answer less questions.

This test brought down people who were looking at 70% to a mark probably around the 60% barrier. A guy who normally gets 95%? Will still get 95%. This was a completely unfair examination.

sweetsensations said:
3 unit students than the 2 unit students... thats the point of an extension subject....
Then why does 3 unit english have absolutely no bearing on the 2 unit advanced course? This exam was the equivalent of me doing an advanced study into King Lear for 3 unit and then trumping everybody in 2 unit because the question favoured me.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)