Food Preservation Assignmnet (1 Viewer)

delz

HSC
Has anyone done an assignment in HSC foodtechnology to do with Principles of Food presevation . We have to do 2 experiments to do with water availability, temperature, ph level and chemical reaction. If any one has any experiments it would be so great if u could post cause i desperatly need heaps of help

PLEASE HELP ME

DELZ

tennille

HSC
The first one could be bottling.

-Boil water and sugar in a saucepan. (heavy syrup= 3 cups sugar to 3 cups water, moderate syrup= 2 cups sugar to 3 cups water, light syrup= 1 cup sugar to 3 cups water)
-Sterilise a vacuum bottle.
-Rinse and cut up pieces of fruit. (you can decide the fruit. Apples would be good)
-Place the fruit into the jar.
-Once sugar is dissolved, add the syrup to the bottle, leaving a 1 cm space up the top.
-Seal the jar (hermatic seal). It should be sealed with a metal or galss lid which rests on a rubber ring to make the joint air tight.
-Sterilise the jar by placing it in a water bath (bottles are placed in boiling water for a specified time). During this time, air should be escaping from the bottle, and as it cools, a vacuum should form at the top of the bottle.

Obviously, this uses the principles of water availability (sugar preserves the food by binding water and drying out the microbes, thus destroying them) and increase in temp.

I'm not sure about the second experiment though.

haley11

HSC
Food tech-Preservation

I recently did an assessment of preservation of foods.
The method i used was also bottling.....i made relish,
which included sugar and vinegar as the preserver
Also i preserved apples which used a syrup as a
preserver-2 parts water 1 part sugar....

saintclare

HSC
what other fruit could be bottled?
what could variables be - i mean if you do bottling of the same fruit several times but change something in each one to see if its effects the results?

:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)