Few questions (1 Viewer)

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
- Is it possible to achieve a distinction or even a high distinction with 3 to 4 hours of study a day?

- Where are your marks recorded when you graduate? As far as I know, aren't you given a certificate with your name and your course when you graduate? Is there a separate document with your marks and that's what you present to the employee if he asks?

- If you are using lecture slides and a recommended textbook as your resources, how do you study with both? Do you just create your own notes (like the HSC)? On a book you can't really hightlight like you can with paper-printed notes so what do you do?

- Do the lecturers ever remind you that there is a quiz/test coming up or it's up to you to remember?

- Also where are online quizzes done? At uni or at home?

THANKS!!!

HSC
N/A
- Is it possible to achieve a distinction or even a high distinction with 3 to 4 hours of study a day?

- Where are your marks recorded when you graduate? As far as I know, aren't you given a certificate with your name and your course when you graduate? Is there a separate document with your marks and that's what you present to the employee if he asks?

- If you are using lecture slides and a recommended textbook as your resources, how do you study with both? Do you just create your own notes (like the HSC)? On a book you can't really hightlight like you can with paper-printed notes so what do you do?

- Do the lecturers ever remind you that there is a quiz/test coming up or it's up to you to remember?

THANKS!!!
From what I've heard you can achieve a D or HD with 3/4 hrs of study if you study smart.
Your marks are recorded in your academic transcript. Which is what your employer wants to see.
Lecturers tend to baby 1st years and than its up to you to get your shit together for the executive years.
Quizzes are done at uni - Do you seriously think they'd let people cheat at home?

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
From what I've heard you can achieve a D or HD with 3/4 hrs of study if you study smart.
Your marks are recorded in your academic transcript. Which is what your employer wants to see.
Lecturers tend to baby 1st years and than its up to you to get your shit together for the executive years.
Quizzes are done at uni - Do you seriously think they'd let people cheat at home?
Thanks for your answer, but hopefully someone can answer my third question.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Depends on the unit and person but it should be possible.

- Where are your marks recorded when you graduate? As far as I know, aren't you given a certificate with your name and your course when you graduate? Is there a separate document with your marks and that's what you present to the employer if he asks?
Yep it is called a Transcript

Use the lecture slides as skeletal notes then expand on the slides with references from textbook/online.

It is usually up to you to remember, in saying that some lecturers/tutors will remind you.

Most of my online quizzes have been done at home but it would depend on the unit.

Renaaa

HSC
Uni Grad
Is it possible to achieve a distinction or even a high distinction with 3 to 4 hours of study a day?
I'm doing Med and my average is around 84 after 4 years of undergraduate medicine. I find it is possible to get a D/HD with 3-4 hours of study, but this involves e.g briefly reading through lecture slides before lectures, reading through them and understanding them after lectures, making sure you revise on the day you get taught etc. This doesn't take more than 20-30mins collectively, but it is really useful and helps you to follow and understand lectures without actually 'writing notes' yet.

Where are your marks recorded when you graduate? As far as I know, aren't you given a certificate with your name and your course when you graduate? Is there a separate document with your marks and that's what you present to the employer if he asks?
Transcript as they mentioned above :p In UNSW any of your prizes and scholarships are also recorded on your transcript.
In addition when you graduate you also have a AHEGS section which highlights your community/leadership involvement in University.(At least this is the case for UNSW)

If you are using lecture slides and a recommended textbook as your resources, how do you study with both? Do you just create your own notes (like the HSC)? On a book you can't really hightlight like you can with paper-printed notes so what do you do?
Really depends on your study style! I find that when I'm busy, I annotate lecture slides during lectures and textbook references. However, I'm really fond of making mind maps (especially if it's more on a theory-content heavy subject like Med rather than maths). For topics I really don't understand, I tend to make my own notes to get a better picture.

Also where are online quizzes done? At uni or at home?
Most of it are at home! However, I find it useful to work with a close friend and discuss answers before submitting!
Really depends on your Uni and your course

Do the lecturers ever remind you that there is a quiz/test coming up or it's up to you to remember?
Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. Sometimes the quiz/test can also be found in your course guide/outline, so make sure you take a look.

Lecturers sometimes postpone the quiz as well. To be safe, mark down the dates :)

Last edited:

Silly Sausage

HSC
It is mostly up to the unit itself and how interested and dedicated you are (I hate it when people refer it to as study smart without actually saying what to do) and everyone has their own study habits. Some harder subjects will require more.
It would be useful to mention what you are studying OP.
You marks are kept on an academic transcript, it is important but not every potential employer will ask for it (big companies most likely will).
Lecturers do NOT baby sit you in first year and have almost nothing to do with your individual learning abilities. You'll be thrown in the deep end once things start just make sure you keep on top of everything and learn the responsibilities as an adult.Some will occasionally remind you (not that you need it)
Online quizzes are done mainly on uni computers but you can do online assignments at home.

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
loo wtf no you can do quizzes at home and they definitely don't baby first years or remind them of things

Flop21

HSC
I'm writing up notes from lecture slides (online) + the textbooks (got a online version of all). So lectures feel like just a general intro to whatever topic they're talking about. So I don't worry about taking extensive notes myself (since it's recorded/online).

Currently I feel like the work is all over the place. It's a bit of a shock, and I don't believe they 'baby' first years at all.

You'll have to go in yourself and look at moodle and check what needs to be done. The info is out there (on moodle, or in your course pack), but no one is there to remind you really. They might mention it, but if you don't want to be surprised or rely on lectures to casually remind you, if they even do, check yourself online.

I want to keep up my notes, so they are fully updated after each lecture. Right now I'm falling behind, and it's hard to catchup on them with limited time, so keep up with these and save your future self.

tldr, too much work send help

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
It is mostly up to the unit itself and how interested and dedicated you are (I hate it when people refer it to as study smart without actually saying what to do) and everyone has their own study habits. Some harder subjects will require more.
It would be useful to mention what you are studying OP.
You marks are kept on an academic transcript, it is important but not every potential employer will ask for it (big companies most likely will).
Lecturers do NOT baby sit you in first year and have almost nothing to do with your individual learning abilities. You'll be thrown in the deep end once things start just make sure you keep on top of everything and learn the responsibilities as an adult.Some will occasionally remind you (not that you need it)
Online quizzes are done mainly on uni computers but you can do online assignments at home.
I'm gonna study biomedical science with requires an ATAR of about 83 (at UTS), although it seems abit "low" compared to other subjects (eng, law, med, etc), I still think that it might be a tough course (because it's similar to medical science and med requires an ATAR of about 88 at UTS)

Silly Sausage

HSC
I'm gonna study biomedical science with requires an ATAR of about 83 (at UTS), although it seems abit "low" compared to other subjects (eng, law, med, etc), I still think that it might be a tough course (because it's similar to medical science and med requires an ATAR of about 88 at UTS)
I have a lot of friend who do science (all bio related) at UTS. They all say the workload is higher than in high-school but the difficulty varies between subjects (e.g. Some are mainly a rehash of HSC subjects especially in first semester) whilst other subjects require you to put in some effort in order to pass. This is normal and you shouldn't worry so much especially since the ATAR requirements don't correlate to difficulty, just popularity/spots available.

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
I have a lot of friend who do science (all bio related) at UTS. They all say the workload is higher than in high-school but the difficulty varies between subjects (e.g. Some are mainly a rehash of HSC subjects especially in first semester) whilst other subjects require you to put in some effort in order to pass. This is normal and you shouldn't worry so much especially since the ATAR requirements don't correlate to difficulty, just popularity/spots available.
So a course can have "not the highest" ATAR and still be difficult?

Silly Sausage

HSC
Yes, ATAR is not used as a reflection of course difficulty.
E.g. Have a look at science majors such as maths, physics, etc at UTS, they have much lower ATARS (~72) since they're not all that popular/have lots of vacancies.

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
I think the ATAR cutoff is more of a measure of the supply/demand ratio

Additionally, I've heard that unis inflate cutoffs for a lot of courses in order to make them seem more difficult (and hence desirable)

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
I'm writing up notes from lecture slides (online) + the textbooks (got a online version of all). So lectures feel like just a general intro to whatever topic they're talking about. So I don't worry about taking extensive notes myself (since it's recorded/online).

Currently I feel like the work is all over the place. It's a bit of a shock, and I don't believe they 'baby' first years at all.

You'll have to go in yourself and look at moodle and check what needs to be done. The info is out there (on moodle, or in your course pack), but no one is there to remind you really. They might mention it, but if you don't want to be surprised or rely on lectures to casually remind you, if they even do, check yourself online.

I want to keep up my notes, so they are fully updated after each lecture. Right now I'm falling behind, and it's hard to catchup on them with limited time, so keep up with these and save your future self.

tldr, too much work send help
It's week 2 brah

It will be tough if you want good marks, but it's not impossible, we all do it.

Yes of course

Tertiary degrees are not meant to be easy

An ATAR only determines the demand of the subject i.e. No. of applications vs How many spots there are

Renaaa

HSC
Uni Grad
I think the ATAR cutoff is more of a measure of the supply/demand ratio

Additionally, I've heard that unis inflate cutoffs for a lot of courses in order to make them seem more difficult (and hence desirable)
Yeah they do haha. UNSW law was like 90% below the ATAR cut off (99.7). It was the article by fairfax media.

mcchicken

madman in a box
HSC
My perspective is only from 4 diff units/lecturers and I'm in Week 3 so... but anyways

I've found that we've been babied a little bit... We've been reminded of every quiz/task/reading so far so you can't (in my course so far) be unaware of a due date as long as you've listened in every lec and tute. This may change in the coming weeks or by next sem though.

I've had a tonne of quizzes - for some they're done exclusively at home but others it has to be done in a tute. For the at-home ones they always recommend doing it in the library though, just in case your laptop/wifi dies at home and the timer runs out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)