Extracurriculars for Selectives (1 Viewer)

wzsmartypants

HSC
Do selective schools REALLY VALUE how much volunteering, music and extracurricular stuff students do outside of school when applying? My tutor said not really as long as you get good reports and do well in tests schools will want you, but some people say extracurriculars are important even if u get average reports but do a lot of extracurriculars schools will still want you...?

wzsmartypants

HSC
I am considering to do volunteering or not, because I'm not like a volunteering kind of person, more like an introvert. But I really wanna get in selective

hstb_

HSC
yes selective schools really value extracurriculars. Extracurricular is what separates you from other students who may have the same marks as you in the test but their extracurricular isn't at good as yours. It shows that youre keen not just academically but in a wide range of areas

idkkdi

HSC
Do selective schools REALLY VALUE how much volunteering, music and extracurricular stuff students do outside of school when applying? My tutor said not really as long as you get good reports and do well in tests schools will want you, but some people say extracurriculars are important even if u get average reports but do a lot of extracurriculars schools will still want you...?
nope. as long as you can prove that you can pull up band 6 rate's you're good to go.

probably depends where you're applying tho.

vishnay

God
HSC
I know Baulko values extracurriculars to some extent but you also have to have performed well academically. Schools, like Girra, conduct an exam (HAST) and select students who perform well in the HAST test. At the end of the day, it depends on what school you want to go to as different schools have different processes for selecting students. If you're fine with going to any selective school but you're not heavily involved in extracurriculars, take a look at the schools that use a test in their admissions process.

hstb_

HSC
yeah schools that conduct tests like HAST will typically value the test mark way over your report/ co-curricula etc

yanujw

HSC
yeah schools that conduct tests like HAST will typically value the test mark way over your report/ co-curricula etc
I have mixed thoughts about this. While I didn't apply for a selective school, I know a friend that got into girra for Y11 despite not doing the test at all, but he had good extracurricular and consistent, high-performing reports, and he got in.

Either someone at Girra admin screwed up, or they put less importance than originally thought on the exam.

hs17

HSC
Most do value extracurriculars quite a bit. Especially if there's no test involved and it's just your application that's taken into consideration. It could still be academically related tho but not a compulsory aspect of school. E.g. science/maths/english competitions that are voluntary. I didn't really do many extracurriculars (like 2) but I gave in certificates from these competitions as well as coding competitions which I think helped

hstb_

HSC
I have mixed thoughts about this. While I didn't apply for a selective school, I know a friend that got into girra for Y11 despite not doing the test at all, but he had good extracurricular and consistent, high-performing reports, and he got in.

Either someone at Girra admin screwed up, or they put less importance than originally thought on the exam.
what? there is no way they will accept students without doing the test. Isn't HAST compulsory for Girra?

wzsmartypants

HSC
Thanks for all the responses. So do you guys think I should do volunteering? or suggest anything else which could help my application?

hstb_

HSC
That's what I was thinking abt also
Ikr+
Thanks for all the responses. So do you guys think I should do volunteering? or suggest anything else which could help my application?
Yes you should do volunteering if you feel comfortable doing it(I didn’t do it and I still got offered so it is not a necessity ). You should try get involved in SRC and other school clubs/societies. Try your best to get good results in external competitions like AMC etc

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)