Excelling in Critical Study-Speeches(2015-2020)-from a 99+ ATAR HSC graduate (1 Viewer)

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Are you studying english at a university level?

You seem very dedicated to english
No I am not studying English at a university level, right now I study law at university so I guess my passion for English has some correlation with that.

If anyone have any questions related to this module, please feel free to ask :)

Last edited:

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
If anyone have any questions related to this module, please feel free to ask :)

Last edited:

SudhiTheBoat

HSC
Hello, firstly, thanks for the effort you put in, it's really helpful. Hope your law degree is going well!

Quick question, our teachers are preparing us to respond to a question with 3 speeches. What are your suggestions for an essay structure?

Thanks in advance (pun intended) :D

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Hello, firstly, thanks for the effort you put in, it's really helpful. Hope your law degree is going well!

Quick question, our teachers are preparing us to respond to a question with 3 speeches. What are your suggestions for an essay structure?

Thanks in advance (pun intended) :D
Hi there,
Really up to what your teacher/you prefer, you can do three paragraphs-which are substantial and in depth or I prefer another approach, which is

Idea 1
Para 1: Speech 1
Para 2: Speech 2

Idea 2
Para 3: Speech 1
Para 4: Speech 3

Your teacher however may well have preferences to the actual structure, so best to just ask them, good luck for the essay :)

SudhiTheBoat

HSC
Hi there,
Really up to what your teacher/you prefer, you can do three paragraphs-which are substantial and in depth or I prefer another approach, which is

Idea 1
Para 1: Speech 1
Para 2: Speech 2

Idea 2
Para 3: Speech 1
Para 4: Speech 3

Your teacher however may well have preferences to the actual structure, so best to just ask them, good luck for the essay :)
Thanks a bunch! Hope you have a nice day :)

antoniaaa_98

HSC
Hi, thankyou so much for this guide! Just wondering how to set out a feature article or speech if we are asked to write one this year in the HSC

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Hi, thankyou so much for this guide! Just wondering how to set out a feature article or speech if we are asked to write one this year in the HSC
Hi there, it is extremely unlikely they will ask that. But the best way to adapt is to focus on the the features of the form of each text, for example, if you are talking about feature article, you might discuss some contemporary issue and relate it to what we learn about these important ideas in speeches before, and generally use a more conversational/colloquial/direct speech tone, engaging the audience, having a personal opinion, and that sort of thing. If it is a speech, focus on engaging the audience, but you can use repetition and more suspense inducing devices to capture their attention. But the bare minimum, the ideas have to be there, the techniques also, and the rationalisation are the same, it is just the tone of your sentences will be less formal that's all :)

Juliakate

HSC
In my trial, I just wrote two long paragraphs, one on each speech (as well as intro and conclusion). This worked okay for trials at my school, but do you foresee a problem using this structure in the HSC? Also, when you refer to idea in the structure, does this mean different aspects of the question you are addressing?
By the way, thank you so much for your guide, it helped A LOT:)

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
In my trial, I just wrote two long paragraphs, one on each speech (as well as intro and conclusion). This worked okay for trials at my school, but do you foresee a problem using this structure in the HSC? Also, when you refer to idea in the structure, does this mean different aspects of the question you are addressing?
By the way, thank you so much for your guide, it helped A LOT:)
Depending on how closely your school's marking standards align with HSC marking standards. I usually don't like two long paragraphs-simply because you usually only express one idea per paragraph, and you should propose more than one idea for each speech to be able to holistically address the question as a whole often (particularly when there are two parts to the question such as a statement composed of two smaller ones) and also on a common sense approach, shorter paragraphs means it is easier and faster to read through which in turn means teachers are more likely to give you higher marks.

I am not sure what you mean by when I referred to structure-you might need to pinpoint to me the specific paragraph-because without context, I can't remember what I meant to refer to from something I have written over a year ago. Thanks for the compliment-all the best for your upcoming HSC and beyond :)

DatAtarLyfe

Booty Connoisseur
HSC
I'm trying to be a little ballsy and synthesis sadat and atwood.
My first idea is through equality (i.e. the need for religious equality vs gender equality) but am struggling to come up with a second idea.
Plz halp XD

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm trying to be a little ballsy and synthesis sadat and atwood.
My first idea is through equality (i.e. the need for religious equality vs gender equality) but am struggling to come up with a second idea.
Plz halp XD
You can always think about it in terms of the actions required to realise equality?
To be more straightforward, don't always try to synthesis the hardest of speeches if you are struggling, it is better to synthesis speeches you are confident with and answering the question well rather than aiming for difficulty.

DatAtarLyfe

Booty Connoisseur
HSC
You can always think about it in terms of the actions required to realise equality?
To be more straightforward, don't always try to synthesis the hardest of speeches if you are struggling, it is better to synthesis speeches you are confident with and answering the question well rather than aiming for difficulty.
True, like i have sadat and keating down but i wanted to go a little more, since i feel like the whole state is going to do sadat and keating. Plus i quite like my atwood paragraphs
I was thinking of talking about the effects of equality i.e. in sadat, equality = national identity and for atwood, equality in reality = improved representation in literature

Thoughts?

Last edited:

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
True, like i have sadat and keating down but i wanted to go a little more, since i feel like the whole state is going to do sadat and keating. Plus i quite like my atwood paragraphs
I was thinking of talking about the effects of equality i.e. in sadat, equality = national identity and for atwood, equality in reality = improved representation in literature

Thoughts?
Not sure about what you mean in equality of national identity, but as long as you can argue it, that's fine. Just a hint from me: don't get too attached about particular paragraphs or creative passages and so forth, at the end of the day, if it is not suitable for the question, you will need to modify or cut it out-answering the question should always be your top most priority rather than being overtly attached to particular writing-sometimes they don't belong in a particular question, so don't get too emotionally attached if you want to focus on answering the question well.

DatAtarLyfe

Booty Connoisseur
HSC
Thats true, its just that something tells me they're going to prescribe atwood this year so i want to be prepared for it.

Thanks for the help

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Thats true, its just that something tells me they're going to prescribe atwood this year so i want to be prepared for it.

Thanks for the help
Trusting on intuition and sixth sense unfortunately is not very reliable. I remember in one law exam in uni I was so confident they were going to ask a particular thing-and they didn't ask that thing, but asked something on a topic that they already asked before a year ago. The moral of this is-don't be too fixated on your fortune telling ability of how HSC exam makers think-because if Atwood is not prescribed in the exam, but another speech, you will be derailing off the tracks and will have significant difficulties engaging with the actual question because you have been so overtly attached to Atwood as an individual speech-remember you are studying a COLLECTION of speeches for a reason-they are all each individually worthy in some way.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)