Exam Thoughts (1 Viewer)

ugly14

G0Ldën MëMbër
HSC
no i dont think we can post in there.

the exam was ok...nothing surprising although i didnt like the 8 mark question...i made up some crap about the experiment being reliable and giving valid results. i mentioned koch's postulates but then crossed it out for some reason :confused:

kezz_xxxx

HSC
I was pretty happy with this exam. Way easier than I was expecting it to be but I'm sure I made some silly mistakes in places. Most likely multiple choice. Ugh. Annoying.

I do communications and again, it was far easier than expected. The only one I had a bit of in was the last question about the brain. But I chucked in everything I knew and made up a bit more :)

lala2

Banned
HSC
Yeah, if someone could post up the paper, that'd be good. My student said he found the paper ok and he liked it, but yeah, just wanna take a peek to see how it all turned out.

mel4dan

Yeah i thought the exam was good, although you could crap your way through a lot of the questions and that 8 marker was the perfect example. There didnt seem to be much on the harder concepts like the third line of defence, pedigrees or malaria, so overall i was surprised by that. Thats the stuff that usually separates everyone.

Multiple choice was fairly straight forward i thought - some were a bit wordy but other than that it was easy.

With the 8 marker, i talked about Koch's postulates too and then crap about reliability and need for repetition...it was a stupid question.

The communication option was much better at assessing what you know, not what you can make up, although i was surprised it didnt ask for specific diagrams or sketches like in past papers. There was like nothing on the ear, apart from the 7 marker which was technologies - that question on hearing and vision was a gem!

So overall, it was good, but i must say i was surprised by the lack of emphasis on some of the more difficult concepts. :mad1:

H

housemouse

SHIT!!!!11111
I forgot about to write about repetition and stuff in that eight mark question!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

And i forgot what thrush was about

Master Gopher

HSC
Yeah, the richness in stuff you can make up was ok I guess for the bits I missed, but pretty frustrating after you spend ages learning a million names and numbers and dates and processes , only to find they don't really care.

I was annoyed because once again, communication didn't ask for anything really on the nervous system. Yet that is the most complicated part of an otherwise very easy option, and I know a lot about it (I can even draw the action potential graph from memory). Basically I'm just bitching about not being able to show off.

Thank goodness for remembering Koch's Postulates.... Other than that question, it was all pretty straightforward.

Communication: Come on, you could have fallen into the room from a senior science class and figured out that question d was the eye

AngelBunny`

HSC
Hated human story so much! I got throught every question but I was unsure on most of the question I answered.
q's8 was the worst though, made everything up...

mel4dan

Master Gopher said:
Yeah, the richness in stuff you can make up was ok I guess for the bits I missed, but pretty frustrating after you spend ages learning a million names and numbers and dates and processes , only to find they don't really care.
That is so true - thats what i was most annoyed about - nothing in depth about Pasteur and Koch, nothing on the development of vaccines, nothing about malaria:burn:

Communication: Come on, you could have fallen into the room from a senior science class and figured out that question d was the eye
So true and i put that. BUT i bet you there will be an abnormal amount of people that put the brain :rofl: it was almost a trick question... lets see who is the first to admit...

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Sorry for the inconvenience. I don't know why the Bio exam forum is still not opened. I have no control over that. In the mean time, you are welcome to post your exam thoughts here.

What was the most difficult question?

Dr_Doom

HSC
I was expecting the first short answer question to be about homeostasis lol because most of the past papers had that...

mel4dan

What was the most difficult question?
I would say the question about the prac on the plant structure to reduce water loss and also the 8 marker only cause it was pretty vague and based entirely on bullshit basically...

gracie007

HSC
Master Gopher said:
Yeah wtf!! I spent like 5 minutes just staring at that question, wondering or not whether it was serious and I was just dumb or missing something...

Also, did anyone notice how they wrote T H MULLER, not MORGAN?

Tim035

HSC
The communication option was a joke, it was soo pathetically easy I wrote 24 pages (8 pages alone for the vision and auditory 8 marker). I learn't so many complex procedures and complexes to do with nerves, action potentials and receptors in other animals.

I liked part B as it really did involve applying your knowledge, it seems thats what their really testing in the HSC. Trying to separate out the ones that just 'wrote learn' from the ones that can actually apply the knowledge.
The ethical issues for transgens for god sent. As I was able to bring in my case study of genetic engineering to increase L-Tryptophan in sleeping pills which also increased the toxic amino acid EBT which killed 31 people in the 1980's.

for the 8 marker I discussed everything I could think of. In a nutshell I stated their identification process was valid in that they studied the ulcers under microscope on slides in a controlled enviroment and also in inidivudals where it was possible to monitor the growth, size and appearance of the ulcers which may indicate bacterial infection. I to brought in Koch's postulates, stating that even though Marshal exhibited the symptons, the bacteria should still have been once again isolated and shown to be the same as the one he swallowed. And that this procedure should have been repeated on a larger scale to increase reliability of the results.

For the experiment we had to design I basically did a replication of the year 11 prac in which you place three young species of the plants in test tubes with water and cotton buds on the top to prevent water loss from evaporation. Then mark on the test tubes the initial water level for each plant, place one in hot dry conditions with no shade, another in cooler conditions with shade and a control indoors. Mark the water level on the test tubes every 12 hours over a 3 day period and compare the results at the end.

I felt I was a bit hazy on the problems with metabolic wastes as for this dot point I more concentrated on the effects of carbon dioxide, where as this was asking for problems with nitrogenous wastes. I still included a snipet about CO2 at the end just in case it was relevant.

I'm also interested to hear what other people wrote for the epidemiology data for lactose intolerance. BTW is lactose intolerance a genetic non infectious disease or a nutritional non infectious disease. I kind of had to take a stab with that.

All in all, if I don't get band 6 their must be some bloody smart kids out there (points finger in JR, PLC & SBH's direction).

H

housemouse

gracie007 said:
Yeah wtf!! I spent like 5 minutes just staring at that question, wondering or not whether it was serious and I was just dumb or missing something...

Also, did anyone notice how they wrote T H MULLER, not MORGAN?
I think this T H muller is actually a real person and is differnt to morgan,

mel4dan

housemouse said:
I dont think i got the definition for haemoglobin.
Yeah, what was with that...I was expecting enatiostasis or homeostasis...

Tim035

HSC
Haemoglobin umm I wrote: An iron compound found in RBC's responsible for transporting oxygen from the respiratory surface to the cells of the organism.

The artifical inductio of mutations on Drosophilia is an experiment I actually briefly learnt about for the Mutagenic nature of radiation. However I had his name as Alexander Muller lol.

mel4dan

housemouse said:
I think this T H muller is actually a real person and is differnt to morgan,
he is different and a real person who did work on fruit flies...i remember reading about it at the last minute...

mel4dan

Tim035 said:
For the experiment we had to design I basically did a replication of the year 11 prac in which you place three young species of the plants in test tubes with water and cotton buds on the top to prevent water loss from evaporation. Then mark on the test tubes the initial water level for each plant, place one in hot dry conditions with no shade, another in cooler conditions with shade and a control indoors. Mark the water level on the test tubes every 12 hours over a 3 day period and compare the results at the end.
Yeah i did something similar, only using plastic bags and humidity probes...i wasnt expecting something like that

I'm also interested to hear what other people wrote for the epidemiology data for lactose intolerance. BTW is lactose intolerance a genetic non infectious disease or a nutritional non infectious disease. I kind of had to take a stab with that.
Yeah, what was with that, I just blabbed in that one, making half of it up - talking about greater sample size, comparisons etc...AND i dont know which one it is either - were you supposed to know or ...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)