European Anger as China Executes Briton (1 Viewer)

Fish Tank

That guy
HSC
European Anger as China Executes Briton - ABC News

The European Union has strongly condemned the execution of British citizen, Akmal Shaikh, for drug-smuggling in China.

Akmal Shaikh, 53, was put to death by lethal injection for trafficking four kilograms of heroin.

His family says he suffered from bipolar disorder and was lured into carrying the drugs by the promise of a pop music career in China.

The EU says it deeply regrets that China did not heed repeated calls by Britain and the EU for clemency.

In a statement British Prime Minister Gordon Brown said he was appalled at the execution because of Shaikh's long history of mental illness, which had not been considered during his trial.

But a spokeswoman for China's foreign ministry, Jiang Yu, denied that Shaikh had a record of mental illness, and rejected the Western criticism.

"I want to stress that China is a country ruled by law. The Chinese judiciary department deal with cases strictly according to law," he said.

"The independence of the Chinese judiciary department can't be interfered with. No-one has the right to interfere with the judicial sovereignty of China."

Shaikh will not be buried in Britain because China does not return the bodies of the people it executes to their families.
Family suggests the guy suffered from bipolar disorder, so if that is true obviously his judgement would be clouded. I'm interested in the part where a foreign state imposed its law on a citizen of another country. Then again, his native country wouldn't be affected by his crimes, so they most likely have no problem with it. In a way it's similar to Schapelle Corby case, but there is absolutely no chance now for him to be extradited or return to Britain.

Thoughts?

HSC
China's a sovereign state. They're entitled to make their own decisions without other countries interfering in their affairs.

JonathanM

Antagonist
HSC
Euch, death penalty.

I guess its better than spending life in a Chinese prison though.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
tbh if he has bi-polar disorder I don't think that's enough reason to change the sentence, I object to the death penalty completely but as choko said, china has its own laws and you don't just accidently a whole 4 kg of heroin.

Fish Tank

That guy
HSC
China's a sovereign state. They're entitled to make their own decisions without other countries interfering in their affairs.
Even if their decision affects a foreign citizen?

What I'd like to know, did China charge the guy's family for the cost of the injection?

dieburndie

Eat, Sleep, Repeat
HSC
tbh if he has bi-polar disorder I don't think that's enough reason to change the sentence, I object to the death penalty completely but as choko said, china has its own laws and you don't just accidently a whole 4 kg of heroin.
He was seriously mentally ill, and his communication with drug traffickers that manipulated him into becoming a mule has also been revealed in detail.

The available evidence indicates that he had absolutely no understanding of the significance of what he was doing, probably not even knowing he was involved in criminal behaviour at all

Once again the disgusting disregard for human rights this fascist dictatorship exhibits will be allowed to slide without anything more than some disapproving comments from Western politicians and activists. Meanwhile Akmal Shaikh joins the thousands of China's own citizens that are executed every year.

Absolutely appalling.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
He was seriously mentally ill, and his communication with drug traffickers that manipulated him into becoming a mule has also been revealed in detail.

The available evidence indicates that he had absolutely no understanding of the significance of what he was doing, probably not even knowing he was involved in criminal behaviour at all

Once again the disgusting disregard for human rights this fascist dictatorship exhibits will be allowed to slide without anything more than some disapproving comments from Western politicians and activists. Meanwhile Akmal Shaikh joins the thousands of China's own citizens that are executed every year.

Absolutely appalling.
Didn't know that, was just going by OP. Disregard my post.

John McCain

Horse liberty
HSC
N/A
Even if their decision affects a foreign citizen?
How else could the crime be prosecuted, they can't give diplomatic immunity to all foreigners.

Hypothetically, what if the country this man had been a citizen of had declared heroin trafficking completely legal? And then he had been sent back to that country where he is be innocent.

The age of consent in some countries is as low as 12. Would you support someone coming to Australia, having sex with 12 year olds, being arrested and extradited to their own country, where they would be found innocent of any crime?

There's no international consistency in national legislation, this is the only way.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
I always am amazed when I hear of people, usually Americans but sometimes Australians and other Westerners, who think that they are only subject to the laws of their own country.

When you leave Australia you are no longer subject to Australia's laws but the law of the country you are in and many of them, including the US and Asian and African countries have the death penalty.

They also have different types of legal systems and different standards of proof needed to find someone guility.

Aussies have been executed in Asia for drug-trafficking as well.

As for this Brit...this is a board for students to discuss things so I will leave that to your discussion and only butted in because I do feel that there may be some here (hopefully not regular posters but certainly lurkers) planning to travel overseas within the next year or so who may not know that when they leave here the laws change. There is also how much the Australian government can do - not a lot by the way - they can assist in getting legal assistance within the relevant country, keep your family informed and even assist them in getting to see you but they can't stop the legal system within a foreign, sovereign country.

If in any doubt always remember Schapelle Corby and the Bali Nine - and understand that the Australian government has done and is doing as much as it can, within the limits of its powers in dealing with a foreign legal system.

As some people have taken issue with the fact that I didn't condemn the Chinese government for this execution I will do so now. I found it horrific when I first heard about this in 2007 and throughout the intervening years. China has an abysmal human rights record.

Last edited:

Thing101

Banned
HSC
N/A
I always am amazed when I hear of people, usually Americans but sometimes Australians and other Westerners, who think that they are only subject to the laws of their own country.

When you leave Australia you are no longer subject to Australia's laws but the law of the country you are in and many of them, including the US and Asian and African countries have the death penalty.

They also have different types of legal systems and different standards of proof needed to find someone guility.

As for this Brit...this is a board for students to discuss things so I will leave that to your discussion and only butted in because I do feel that there may be some here (hopefully not regular posters but certainly lurkers) planning to travel overseas within the next year or so who may not know that when they leave here the laws change. There is also how much the Australian government can do - not a lot by the way - they can assist in getting legal assistance within the relevant country, keep your family informed and even assist them in getting to see you but they can't stop the legal system within a foreign, sovereign country.

If in any doubt always remember Schapelle Corby and the Bali Nine - and understand that the Australian government has done and is doing as much as it can, within the limits of its powers in dealing with a foreign legal system.
stop trying to act smart because you dont know shit ok

John McCain

Horse liberty
HSC
N/A
When you leave Australia you are no longer subject to Australia's laws
http://www.smartraveller.gov.au/zw-cgi/view/TravelBulletins/Helping_to_Fight_Child_Sex_Crimes_Abroad

Fish Tank

That guy
HSC
So, you go to another country and you're subject to their laws, yet still you are accountable under your country's law.

What if there are conflicting laws on an issue? Which one is considered 'right'?

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
Whichever countries jurisdiction you are in is considered right. With that example you wouldnt be arrested until you returned to Australia, unless the country had some sort of agreement with Australia, which means that the laws would be the same.

Enforsa_Said

HSC
It is not about Jurisdiction, it's about the fact that this man was insane and didn't know what he was doing (if what they're saying about him is true) but they executed him anyway without doing a medical checkup. Cruel. However I do not have any sympathy for sane drug traffickers and wish them death, the kind who get sent to a luxury western prison and can carry out their business behind bars.

S.H.O.D.A.N.

world
HSC

You're certainly spot on in depicting the brutal reality that can await Westerners travelling overseas - one need only look at the Australian who stole a barcoaster in Thailand for an example closer to home (luckily that had a happy ending).

But your absolute lack of condemnation of this disgusting disregard for human rights disturbs me somewhat given that you are a teacher. It's yet one more horrible black mark on China's human rights record.

And just in case anybody was wondering, China doesn't just execute people for drug smuggling - it also executes them for sedition (e.g. promoting democracy) and tax evasion. In fact, to that end it has a corps of mobile death vans which are equipped to give the death penalty on the spot.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
You're certainly spot on in depicting the brutal reality that can await Westerners travelling overseas - one need only look at the Australian who stole a barcoaster in Thailand for an example closer to home (luckily that had a happy ending).

But your absolute lack of condemnation of this disgusting disregard for human rights disturbs me somewhat given that you are a teacher. It's yet one more horrible black mark on China's human rights record.

And just in case anybody was wondering, China doesn't just execute people for drug smuggling - it also executes them for sedition (e.g. promoting democracy) and tax evasion. In fact, to that end it has a corps of mobile death vans which are equipped to give the death penalty on the spot.
I am sorry I didn't mean to imply that I approved of this horrific incident because I don't but what I was trying to do was point out that all people are subject to the laws of the land where they are at the time not Australian law.

I usually don't get involved in these discussion on these boards due to believing that it is for you young people to express your views and for me to only put in my two cents when I am able to give advice or assistance relative to my experience.

I was as appalled as most, if not all, here at the way the Chinese handled this matter but also believe that that isn't what the people on this board really want me, a much older teacher, to be doing, on 'their' board.

0bs3n3

HSC
k so Khmer Rouge was ok executing 3 million of their citizens and Vietnam's invasion was completely unwarranted. Thanks for enlightening me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)