Ethanol Issues and Questions ????? (1 Viewer)

swtchilyphily

HSC
really need help, please answer any if possible

• The energy and financial cost of separating ethanol from the aqueous ethanol produced in fermentation.
  • What percentage of ethanol can be added to petrol without engine modification?
  • Requirements of engines using ethanol only.
  • The effect on exhaust pollutants of using ethanol fuel.
  • The economic cost at different prices for oil, costs and subsidies, and different rates of taxation levied by governments, on different fuels.

theism

Resident Apologetic
HSC
really need help, please answer any if possible

• The energy and financial cost of separating ethanol from the aqueous ethanol produced in fermentation.
  • What percentage of ethanol can be added to petrol without engine modification?
  • Requirements of engines using ethanol only.
  • The economic cost at different prices for oil, costs and subsidies, and different rates of taxation levied by governments, on different fuels.
im not doing your work for ya.
i didn't do chemistry in years 11/12,
but i can tell ya about ethanol.

ethanol is not very efficent as it is less dense than petrol.
it's about 70% efficent when compared to petrol.

ethanol will eat away the rubber, so it's not great for engines as it will eat through the rubber hosing, rubber seals, etc.

swtchilyphily

HSC
lol i understand u won't do my work i have already almost finished and gathered alot of information,

i'm just stuck on the fact of costs of different prices of oil...(the last dot point posted)
and the second dot point where it asks, what percentage of ethanol can....

please help me.....=D

bayan92

HSC
10-15%

bored of sc

HSC
Significant. Distillation requires a significant amount of energy and money. The process is not yet energy efficient nor economically viable as fossil fuels require less energy and money in order to be produced i.e. octane from crude oil/natural gas via catalytic cracking/fractional distillation is both cheaper and more energy-efficient.
Positive. Ethanol undergoes complete combustion i.e. C2H5OH + 3O2 --> 2CO2 + 3H2O whereas octane (from petrol) may undergo incomplete combustion which produces C (soot) and CO (carbon monoxide). So from this standpoint, the combustion of ethanol is more eco-friendly than petroleum.

Note: But overall ethanol is not a carbon-neutral fuel because distillation plants require significant energy, releasing excess CO2 into the atmosphere (see the first dot-point I answered).

I hope my information is accurate. I'm sure if it isn't someone will post up corrections.

thuanvon

HSC
production of ethanol can be carbon neural if distillation process is used through solar energy

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)