essay on xerxes (1 Viewer)

jess2590

HSC
question is outline and evaluate his contributions and legacy to the historical period in which he lived.
help would be greatly appreciated

E

Empyrean444

Don't know much, but here it is.

I think you should talk about him in relation to the 2nd invasion of greece, namely his failure to take over greece and his distastrous losses at the battles plataea(479) and Salamis(480). Part of his 'legacy' is not only his failure to win this war, but also the scale on which the Persians were beaten and the consequences of this. Salamis (a battle which he viewed) was an important hist. turning point, as it shattered the Persians' naval hegemony of the med. sea. It also represets the start of athenain naval hegemony, and is a key contributer to the genesis of Greek dominance and prosperity which lasts till the peloponnesian war. As Xerxes ordered this battle and the war as a whole, the defeat and failure of the Persians (and subsequent consequences) can be viewed as "his" error, his fault etc. This is part of his legacy.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
make sure u research and talk about other contributions as well as the invasions of greece- as this was only a few years of a relativly long reign, but the above post pretty much sums it up

cait33

Doctor's Companion
HSC
hmm i have a similar q for an in class essay tomorrow
i am going to talk about the legacy of the persian wars as only party of his legacy and the fact that it only really effected the greeks. the persians thought they won the war, only the greeks kicked up a who-har about how great they were.
i was going to talk about his building program and the new building techniques that he introduced in Persepolis. he also left the throne room for his son to finish
also after his assassination he left a power vacuum that left unrest in the empire
he added new land like his forefathers and maintained the achmeamenid way to the letter
there is way more to xerxes than the persian wars!

Cleft

HSC
Hmmm, but you must also question whether the second Persio-Greek wars were indeed a failure for Xerxes? You could argue that one of the main reasons behind the attack were the burning of the temples of Sardis where Xerxes vowed to raze Athens to the ground, and he was succesful at that.
Religious reforms are also a very importent part of his legacy. He pretty much outlawed the Daeva's. You could also bring in differing views of Xerxes as a king into that as well.
Revolts are also a rather good point, especially the Babylonian revolts that resulted in the splitting of the Babylonian satrapy. Once again you can bring in differing views of scholars here eg. Too harsh intreatment/Not to harsh.
And of course the building program would be another major part of his contributions. Apadana, Treasury Relief and the Gate of All Nations can be used to show Xerxes legacy as a peaceful and respectful king..

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Cleft said:
Hmmm, but you must also question whether the second Persio-Greek wars were indeed a failure for Xerxes? You could argue that one of the main reasons behind the attack were the burning of the temples of Sardis where Xerxes vowed to raze Athens to the ground, and he was succesful at that.
Religious reforms are also a very importent part of his legacy. He pretty much outlawed the Daeva's. You could also bring in differing views of Xerxes as a king into that as well.
Revolts are also a rather good point, especially the Babylonian revolts that resulted in the splitting of the Babylonian satrapy. Once again you can bring in differing views of scholars here eg. Too harsh intreatment/Not to harsh.
And of course the building program would be another major part of his contributions. Apadana, Treasury Relief and the Gate of All Nations can be used to show Xerxes legacy as a peaceful and respectful king..
all good points which i used, thanks for your help, i did the essay on Thursday and it went great.

twigg

HSC
i think you guys just saved my life.
thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)