enzyme experiment (8 marks) (1 Viewer)

mayhemily

HSC
uhhh yeah the whole question was shit. I interpreted it properly but i had no idea how to do the experiment. Probably managed about 2 or 3 marks.

maxximus

Shuter said:
Wait, didn't it say you can only measure it in ONE of the environments. I thought this meant that you had to have it at a pH of 7 and a temperature of between 50-55 degrees in order for you to effectively test both in the one environment.
Thats how i interpreted it too.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
If enough people interpret a question wrong, it means it's the BOS's fault and they have to accept both answers. That's how it works in English anyway.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
~*HSC 4 life*~ said:
it was a gay qu because it was woth 8 marks...i dont think i put as much content needed for 8 marks but meh, totally guessed it. i did temperature...but only 4 testtubes...whats with some of you guys doing 20 testtbes? yeah test tube plus enzyme plus substrate. 2 had enzyme x and two with enzyme e...then heat one to about 35 deg and one to about 55 :p bullshitted about seeing how enzymes work best at omptimum temp range etc
What I wrote, even if I interpreted it wrong I shoulg get at least 6:
- 3 test tubes, one containing enzyme x, one with enzyme e and one control, all at 37'C, ph 8.5
- leave them for 10 minutes, then measure the bubbles produced by each with a ruler
- repeat several times
- test tubes should be same size, shape, materials etc, same volume and conc of substrate, same amount of each bacteria.
- stoppers should be put on test tubes as soon as bacteria are added to avoid them escaping, petri dishes and test tubes should be incinerated afterwards to avoid infection

cwilson

withoutaface said:
What I wrote, even if I interpreted it wrong I shoulg get at least 6:
- 3 test tubes, one containing enzyme x, one with enzyme e and one control, all at 37'C, ph 8.5
- leave them for 10 minutes, then measure the bubbles produced by each with a ruler
- repeat several times
- test tubes should be same size, shape, materials etc, same volume and conc of substrate, same amount of each bacteria.
- stoppers should be put on test tubes as soon as bacteria are added to avoid them escaping, petri dishes and test tubes should be incinerated afterwards to avoid infection

That's pretty miuch what i wrote except i forgot to put a control (Whoops!) except i only left them for two minutes and i had no way of measuring the gas cause how do we know it would produce bubbles? i know the ones in class did but that doesn't mean all of them can....right??? Right???

golferjim

HSC
For those who didnt know how to check for gas, wasnt it just when the mixture bubbled- that is emmiting a gas- thats the simple way

SweetSeasons

HSC
mine was retarded.

Hypothosis = do the bacteria perform the same enzym function, hence resulting in the same gas being produced.

I said place the bacteria in seperate agar plates, several samples of each kind. On agar that had a neutral pH of 7.
I then said some crap about putting a bit of paper with a chemical on it that was known to react to the gas produced by bacteria E, in to each of the agar plates, I then said to seal the agar plates and place them in an incubator for one day at 50 degrees.
I then said if the paper had reacted in the bacteria X the same way it did to bacteria E that they produced the same gas and hence perfomed the same enzym function.

I really had no idea.

Last edited:

persephone

HSC
i had no idea. i did pH. i think i may get like 2 or 3, for the hypothesis and using the correct format. but it was really bad

Shawtay

HSC
i stuffed up tat question too badly oh well im xpecting alrite marks but dun wna b too ovaconfident :rolleyes:

RaineeDays

HSC
this guy at my school said he would have put a balloon over each of the test tubes to measure the amount of gas produced which i thought was preti clever! i just said measure by observation as the gas comes out of solution.. but hay.. i guess it would still work.. not as accurate as the balloon tho! :)

em_516

bludging..
HSC
lol..i said 'observe' as well lol..they didn't say what the gas was or anything..and presumably you don't know what it'll do either since it's something from space or whatever it was..so..i'm hoping 'observe' is alright..forgot to do a control though..hmm..

HSC
yeah, i put a balloon on top of my test tubes as well (well not physically, but that's what i wrote). i forgot the control though. damnit.

linnyss

heww i am glad everyone found this question hard i kind didn't know what ithey want i said at temp 50 degree and ph 6 where one worked the best lol ok i went wrong there. Dame gay worded question but i did say that i measure the gas produced and the amount of substrate left but using a chemical nalysis machine .

trekkie

HSC
Yeah i did the same as some of the others here, i interpreted it as One environmental condition so i hypothesised that the X would produce more gas under its average temp and pH then E would. I was good too, i had a control, sample size of three and said to repeat the experiment at least 2 more times to confirm the results. I Just said 'observe' for the amount of gas, seemed simple enough.

skyfox

wow, i did something totally different, my experiment was closer to the fermentation experiment in chem., if u do chem , you'd know what i mean. u place ur substrate and enzyme in your test tubes, u put cottonwool in the test tubes so gas can escape and bacteria won't get in, then u weighed it, then after you've let it grow, u weighed it again to see how much gas was lost. did anyone else dot aht or am i up a creeek without a paddle?

BelindaJ

ahh crap :s...well i said..i did the temperature one..i said that...well..i corked the test-tube with enzyme n substrate n has a connecting tube connecting it to another test-tube with water..n i observed the bubbles produced..to show that there was gas produced...i drew a diagram...n yeahh..hmm...

kow_dude

HSC
I was very fortunate to get this experiment examined... because I DID NOT WRITE A SINGLE PRAC FOR THIS SUBJECT!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)