English language requirements pending? (1 Viewer)

cloud_berry

HSC
So i just found out I cannot do early admissions because i need to provide proof of my english language proficiency since I was born overseas, despite seeing Australian schooling for my entire life… did anyone else here face the same issue? Apparently the only choice i have is to take an english test, but it costs like 375 apparently, I don’t know what else to do.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
This is really interesting, there was another thread recently where the person was facing a similar issue. Is this what you've been told by UAC themselves?

English language proficiency (ELP) is an admission requirement for most tertiary courses offered through UAC. However, most peopleincluding those with an Australian Year 12 qualification – do not have to do anything extra to prove their proficiency. Their qualification will be used as evidence.

This is in terms of applying for the normal rounds. You should talk to UAC or the university whose early admission program you're applying for if you haven't already because technically you should be classified as "most people" considering how much time you've spent in Australia and Australian schools as opposed to someone like me who needed the HSC to satisfy the English language proficiency requirement as I had only been in Australia for 2 years when I did my HSC.

I hope this helps! 😄

cloud_berry

HSC
This is really interesting, there was another thread recently where the person was facing a similar issue. Is this what you've been told by UAC themselves?

English language proficiency (ELP) is an admission requirement for most tertiary courses offered through UAC. However, most peopleincluding those with an Australian Year 12 qualification – do not have to do anything extra to prove their proficiency. Their qualification will be used as evidence.

This is in terms of applying for the normal rounds. You should talk to UAC or the university whose early admission program you're applying for if you haven't already because technically you should be classified as "most people" considering how much time you've spent in Australia and Australian schools as opposed to someone like me who needed the HSC to satisfy the English language proficiency requirement as I had only been in Australia for 2 years when I did my HSC.

I hope this helps! 😄
Yeah i called UAC and they said i needed english language requirements, i am super confused on what i should do. Thinking of contacting UOW and UNSW next which are the two main unis i’m considering.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah i called UAC and they said i needed english language requirements, i am super confused on what i should do. Thinking of contacting UOW and UNSW next which are the two main unis i’m considering.
The problem with UAC is that they sometimes don't seem to be helping students the way they should be, and I've come across some students who have faced difficulties resolving their issues when they contacted UAC.

It's probably a good idea to contact UoW and UNSW as they might be able to help you more directly since they are the universities whose early admission programs you are considering.

cloud_berry

HSC
The problem with UAC is that they sometimes don't seem to be helping students the way they should be, and I've come across some students who have faced difficulties resolving their issues when they contacted UAC.

It's probably a good idea to contact UoW and UNSW as they might be able to help you more directly since they are the universities whose early admission programs you are considering.
I called UOW and they reckon i should give UAC another call, so I did & told them my situation, and they said they were required to put it in as “English results pending” since I was born overseas. As for whether that affects my early admissions, apparently that’s up to the universities to consider. So I’m confused on whether it’s worth doing early admissions, or if I will automatically be not eligible due to the language requirements. Im guessing I will most likely have to wait for my HSC results for an offer, or do the language test for early admission offers. I think I’ll call UNSW next though, I just havent been able to get a hold of their contact number.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
I called UOW and they reckon i should give UAC another call, so I did & told them my situation, and they said they were required to put it in as “English results pending” since I was born overseas. As for whether that affects my early admissions, apparently that’s up to the universities to consider. So I’m confused on whether it’s worth doing early admissions, or if I will automatically be not eligible due to the language requirements.
If it's up to the universities to decide, then it's probably a good thing because I don't think you can be refused just because of English language requirements that have apparently not been satisfied. I'd also consider students taking EAL/D who may wish to apply for early admission programs - are those students unable to apply for early admission programs due to their English language proficiency requirement not being satisfied yet? I don't think that would be the case. I believe universities would be considerate in such situations.

cloud_berry

HSC
If it's up to the universities to decide, then it's probably a good thing because I don't think you can be refused just because of English language requirements that have apparently not been satisfied. I'd also consider students taking EAL/D who may wish to apply for early admission programs - are those students unable to apply for early admission programs due to their English language proficiency requirement not being satisfied yet? I don't think that would be the case. I believe universities would be considerate in such situations.
Yeah hopefully, I mean if all else fails I’ll just wait for my HSC results and if that doesn’t work then… UOW college it is

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah hopefully, I mean if all else fails I’ll just wait for my HSC results and if that doesn’t work then… UOW college it is
There doesn't seem to be a history of students missing early entry offers due to English language-related reasons. I definitely think you'll be fine in terms of both early admissions and normal round offers! As long as you ensure you're performing to the best of your abilities, everything will hopefully be within reach! :D

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
So i just found out I cannot do early admissions because i need to provide proof of my english language proficiency since I was born overseas, despite seeing Australian schooling for my entire life… did anyone else here face the same issue? Apparently the only choice i have is to take an english test, but it costs like 375 apparently, I don’t know what else to do.
Are you doing Advanced or Standard English?

What year/grade did you start attending school in Australia.

Are you an Australian Citizen or a Permanent resident?

cloud_berry

HSC
Are you doing Advanced or Standard English?

What year/grade did you start attending school in Australia.

Are you an Australian Citizen or a Permanent resident?
I’m doing standard, i’m an Australian citizen and i started schooling in kindergarten.

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
I’m doing standard, i’m an Australian citizen and i started schooling in kindergarten.
Pretty sure you'll be fine English language-wise, think UAC is tripping.

This is what Macquarie Uni says "
All applicants need to provide evidence of English language proficiency. However, not all programs require the same level of English proficiency.
Most coursework programs at Macquarie require Standard English (equivalent to an overall Academic IELTS)
https://www.mq.edu.au/study/international-students/how-to-apply/english-language-requirements"

Seems like something has got messed up with your application. Does your school have a careers advisor who can help?

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
Nursing courses seem to have a different requirements, are you trying for nursing?

Requirements for nursing and midwifery courses
Before you can start studying to become a registered nurse, the Australian Nursing and Midwifery Accreditation Council requires you to demonstrate a high level of English language proficiency. You will be asked to prove this as part of the application process.
When you graduate and apply for registration as a nurse or a midwife in Australia, you will also need to meet the English language skills registration standard of the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia.

cloud_berry

HSC
Pretty sure you'll be fine English language-wise, think UAC is tripping.

This is what Macquarie Uni says "
All applicants need to provide evidence of English language proficiency. However, not all programs require the same level of English proficiency.
Most coursework programs at Macquarie require Standard English (equivalent to an overall Academic IELTS)
https://www.mq.edu.au/study/international-students/how-to-apply/english-language-requirements"

Seems like something has got messed up with your application. Does your school have a careers advisor who can help?
Yeah UAC just said they are required to put “english results pending” next to my preferred courses because I was born overseas when I called them, I’m not sure if a careers advisor can help with that. It looks like it’s just based on whether if you’re born overseas or not, regardless of whether you’re an Australian citizen or if you’ve seen Australian schooling. Only other alternative I can think of is to provide proof of my completion of year 11, but the person I called at UAC said I’d have to take IELTS or another english test to provide proof, or wait until i get my HSC.

cloud_berry

HSC
2891BA82-D204-4CEF-9919-6D8F137C16A9.jpeg
this is what it shows also. so by the looks of it right now i can’t get an early admission offer through UAC?

angelaal

HSC
I have the exact problem with UAC stating in all my preferences, " Results pending - English language requirements". I have also applied for USYD's E12 and I am worried that they won't give me the offer because of this slight error with their system. Although, yes I was born overseas - my English is more than competent so I don't know why UAC is challenging my abilities. ;/

cloud_berry

HSC
I have the exact problem with UAC stating in all my preferences, " Results pending - English language requirements". I have also applied for USYD's E12 and I am worried that they won't give me the offer because of this slight error with their system. Although, yes I was born overseas - my English is more than competent so I don't know why UAC is challenging my abilities. ;/
Yea it’s annoying isn’t it? But dont worry, you should have no problems with direct applications. I applied directly to UOW and WSU and still got an offer. Im not sure about UAC offers though, but i dont think I’ve heard of UAC giving offers to anyone recently? Must be after the HSC comes out for most people

angelaal

HSC
Yea it’s annoying isn’t it? But dont worry, you should have no problems with direct applications. I applied directly to UOW and WSU and still got an offer. Im not sure about UAC offers though, but i dont think I’ve heard of UAC giving offers to anyone recently? Must be after the HSC comes out for most people
congrats on your offers, you should be very proud ! :D what courses are you think of studying next year?
I also don't think UAC are giving offers at the moment, but I think once November glooms over - SRS offers are given out!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)