English Advanced workload? (1 Viewer)

Accurate

clix
HSC
Is it a lot, I'm quite bad at English and I really want to know what's the workload like

Bob Jane

HSC
I hear the Advanced English workload is quite high... Though I currently do Standard English and workload is somewhat similar even though Advanced English scales much better.

I think the general consensus is if you are aiming for an Atar > 80 pick Adv english

AltoFeisar

HSC
My Eng Adv. workload honestly seems to be a lot higher than my Eng Standard counterparts. My projects were usually almost twice the size of theirs. If you don't enjoy English then definitely go for standard.

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
Do Advanced because you can always drop down to standard, but you can't really go up the other way around

sida1049

HSC
English advanced has a fairly high workload, since you have to analyse several texts eventually develop several of essays. However, don't let this deter you, as doing well in the subject is worth the workload as your ATAR can really benefit. I used to be trash at high school English, so I grinded my ass off doing practice essays for every assessment, and the payoff was worth it (from average in Year 10 to rank 8/89 in Year 12 with Band 6). Make sure to ask your teacher for feedback on your draft essays, since I found it to be very helpful.

I would recommend against dropping down to Standard English; the workload is very similar (only one less text/essay I believe), but unless you seriously excel in that subject, it'll drag your ATAR down. Doing average in Advanced is better for your ATAR than above-average-but-not-excellent in Band 6, despite the former being easier to achieve.

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
I think the general consensus is if you are aiming for an Atar > 80 pick Adv english
That's a wrong consensus then lol..

Is it a lot, I'm quite bad at English and I really want to know what's the workload like
Yeah legit though, do Advanced. Almost same workload as Standard and it scales so much better.

300th post hell yeah

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)