EAS (1 Viewer)

Nikolerak

HSC
Has anyone applied for EAS claiming a personal illness? Have you ever had second thoughts about applying especially if you applied for a health degree thinking it may jeopardise your chances? Do you think only UAC knows specific details of the illness or unis as well?

quickoats

HSC
If your illness is legitimate and you feel as though it has caused disruption to your schooling and adversely affected your results then I don't see why you shouldn't apply - that's what the EAS system is here for.

Hypothetically if someone were to fake an illness with insufficient documentation of details they would not be penalised, they would just be put in the normal pool of applicants or not get any bonus points. However, if this happened for someone trying to get into medicine it might be brought up in an interview where it might be hard for them to defend themselves.

Nikolerak

HSC
If your illness is legitimate and you feel as though it has caused disruption to your schooling and adversely affected your results then I don't see why you shouldn't apply - that's what the EAS system is here for.

Hypothetically if someone were to fake an illness with insufficient documentation of details they would not be penalised, they would just be put in the normal pool of applicants or not get any bonus points. However, if this happened for someone trying to get into medicine it might be brought up in an interview where it might be hard for them to defend themselves.
I am not talking about faking an illness, but rather thinking unis may not willing to accept someone who has an illness into a health related degree. My illness was surgically treated 8 months ago and it will not affect me in the future most likely, but the uni doesn't know that hence my question if the details are released to unis or kept with UAC.

quickoats

HSC
I am not talking about faking an illness, but rather thinking unis may not willing to accept someone who has an illness into a health related degree. My illness was surgically treated 8 months ago and it will not affect me in the future most likely, but the uni doesn't know that hence my question if the details are released to unis or kept with UAC.
The uni may or may not know details but I'd be surprised if they rejected you on the basis of a pre-existing condition even if you meet the necessary cutoffs.

Do you feel as though your illness will inhibit your ability to complete the degree? If not, then it doesn't matter at all. If you feel as though it may, keep in mind some other ideas and backup options but you never know until you try it.

beetree1

HSC
I think the unis will know the details of your illness as UAC will send them to them when you are applying so that they can amend any adjustment factors you need. In most EAS forms, they ask you to provide you with how long you have been disadvantaged for, and if they dont ask you for whether you have been treated, write it in the space they give u that is like "any extra information"

quickoats

HSC
I think the unis will know the details of your illness as UAC will send them to them when you are applying so that they can amend any adjustment factors you need. In most EAS forms, they ask you to provide you with how long you have been disadvantaged for, and if they dont ask you for whether you have been treated, write it in the space they give u that is like "any extra information"
^^ This. It is up to the uni to decide how many bonus points to give you. This means they may or may not be aware of your illness.

However (this is pure speculation) UAC might just analyse your form and allocate a code e.g. all types of mild prolonged illness will be lumped into one group. The uni will see which code you’re eligible for and apply the relevant bonus points.

Regardless, the uni can’t take back an offer due to your illness. They may need more detailed medical history when you enrol in a degree (such as vaccinations) which is something you don’t need to worry about at the moment. Certain conditions might be undesirable in certain health fields e.g. a dentist can’t have hand tremors but this will be sorted out much later once you enrol in uni.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)