Does anyone know what type of Spanish is taught in the Spanish Courses? (1 Viewer)

sadsalt15

HSC
N/A
I am already quite comfortable in talking reading and writing in Spanish and have taken a Mexican vocabulary route for a good amount of the decisions i have made that required that. Does anyone know if its mainly taught in European, general Latin American or covers all?

Much Thanks,

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Courses that fall under the LOTE category are generally taught to an audience to whom the target language would be a second/foreign language. In fact, this does not only apply to Stage 6 subjects, but also to language courses taken by non-school students. Because of this, the standard version of the language taught would be used, especially for Beginners, Continuers and Extension courses. This is the case of languages such as French, where the standard/metropolitan/Parisian French is covered (instead of Québécois French for instance). The syllabus documents of both Spanish Beginners and Spanish Continuers state that the language to be studied and assessed is modern standard Spanish (what I believe is also referred to as Castilian in Spain). Based on this, it is most likely that elements that constitute other variants of the Spanish language will not be emphasised in the Spanish course(s) that you wish to take (from your post it seems that this would be Spanish Continuers with/without Spanish Extension).

With that being said, it is reasonable to expect that you will explore the Spanish-speaking world at some point during your studies (including themes such as multiculturalism). However, it is unlikely that this will extend to cover differences between standard Spanish and other variants of the Spanish language.

I hope this helps! :D

sadsalt15

HSC
N/A
Thanks for this, I am taking the Spanish Beginners course but have self studied spanish without a tutor and outside the classroom for almost a year and am not permitted to do the spanish continuers course despite my current level being good enough to get 100% consistently in the reading section of the year 12 hsc (practice tests) and 90% or higher in the listening, and i cannot rank writing due to it being hands on. I will still have to get used to Castilian as coloniser spanish is a little different

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)