Does anyone else play the guitar? (1 Viewer)

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
I'd love to learn how to play guitar one day, is it possible to self teach in HSC years?

turntaker

HSC
I'd love to learn how to play guitar one day, is it possible to self teach in HSC years?
Yeah man, its a great way to relieve stress. Just play in your free time. Sometimes I play too much hahaha

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
Yeah man, its a great way to relieve stress. Just play in your free time. Sometimes I play too much hahaha
How long would one take to play guitar efficiently?

Another question (this isn't guitar related) can I have a casual job and still work towards achieving an outstanding ATAR? Or would that be even more harder?

turntaker

HSC
How long would one take to play guitar efficiently?

Another question (this isn't guitar related) can I have a casual job and still work towards achieving an outstanding ATAR? Or would that be even more harder?
Well it depends on how much effort you put into practicing and how much you love the instrument. When I started in year 7 I played a lot cause I was just obsessed with it and I quickly improved without even forcing myself. The hardest part is starting out. Most people think guitar is easy and they pick it up and after a couple weeks they quit cause their fingers hurt or something. But if you love the instrument you will get through that pretty easily.

As for part time jobs it depends from person to person. But some people do a lot of extra curricular and still get a really good atar because they have good time management skills.

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
Well it depends on how much effort you put into practicing and how much you love the instrument. When I started in year 7 I played a lot cause I was just obsessed with it and I quickly improved without even forcing myself. The hardest part is starting out. Most people think guitar is easy and they pick it up and after a couple weeks they quit cause their fingers hurt or something. But if you love the instrument you will get through that pretty easily.

As for part time jobs it depends from person to person. But some people do a lot of extra curricular and still get a really good atar because they have good time management skills.
So the sooner the better right? In the 6 weeks holidays it would be good to pick up a guitar from a music shop and start to learn...

For the causal job part, it would only be ok weekends because on weekdays I have full-time study load and I can't see my self managing time properly, I don't want to be studying all night ery' day.

turntaker

HSC
So the sooner the better right? In the 6 weeks holidays it would be good to pick up a guitar from a music shop and start to learn...

For the causal job part, it would only be ok weekends because on weekdays I have full-time study load and I can't see my self managing time properly, I don't want to be studying all night ery' day.
Yeah man. I recommend buying a steel string acoustic. Cort is a really good brand and fairly cheap too. When you learn steel string acoustic any guitar will be easy to play. Even bass lol.

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
Yeah man. I recommend buying a steel string acoustic. Cort is a really good brand and fairly cheap too. When you learn steel string acoustic any guitar will be easy to play. Even bass lol.
How many hours everyday should I be practising to achieve a goal of playing anything just by listening to an audio of a song and then converting that into hand movements on the strings?

turntaker

HSC
How many hours everyday should I be practising to achieve a goal of playing anything just by listening to an audio of a song and then converting that into hand movements on the strings?
20 minutes minimum, playing by ear can take years to master but you can just search the chords online and play them.

Smooth Operator

HSC
-How many years have you been playing?
3ish I think, maybe going on 4? Not playing everyday or anything though..

-Self taught or took lessons?
Self taught, Youtube lessons when interested about a particular thing; e.g. scales.

-What type of guitar(s) do you play?
Both electric and acoustic.
Electric - Fender (Squire) Affinity Fat Strat HSS.
Acoustic - Tanglewood Acoustic Guitar.

-How many guitars do you have?

-What style of songs do you like playing?
Anything from rock to metalcore to acoustic stuff. Songs I listen to and want to learn basically.

turntaker

HSC
-How many years have you been playing?
3ish I think, maybe going on 4? Not playing everyday or anything though..

-Self taught or took lessons?
Self taught, Youtube lessons when interested about a particular thing; e.g. scales.

-What type of guitar(s) do you play?
Both electric and acoustic.
Electric - Fender (Squire) Affinity Fat Strat HSS.
Acoustic - Tanglewood Acoustic Guitar.

-How many guitars do you have?

-What style of songs do you like playing?
Anything from rock to metalcore to acoustic stuff. Songs I listen to and want to learn basically.
Nice dude, I have a squier bullet strat lol. I have had that since year 7. I really need to upgrade.

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC
Yeah I play guitar.

Years Played - 8
Self Taught/Lessons - Lessons for about 6 years. The last 2 I've been teaching myself.
Guitars - Schecter Banshee 7A (7 String Electric), Fender Stratocaster Highway One ESS (6 String Electric), Maton EM-225 (Steel String Acoustic), Katoh MCG-150 (Classical Nylon String Guitar), Squier Frank Bello Jazz Bass Guitar
Other Gear - Marshall AVT275, Fender G-DEC, and also a wah pedal, loop pedal and a talk box.
Style of Songs - Anything. Was mostly playing classical pieces for my HSC, now I'm doing a lot of solo acoustic singing/guitar arrangements, and also writing my own songs which cover a lot of different styles. Hoping I can get together some rough home recordings of original songs before the end of the holidays.

Funnily enough, as I saw Lana Del Rey being mentioned before, I only started to do a lot of acoustic guitar + singing recently, and one of the first things I did was to do arrangements of all of the songs from the Paradise edition of Born to Die. Some of her lyrics sound a bit stupid when sung by a guy but I really loved the songs on that album and her vocal range suits me perfectly haha.

Smooth Operator

HSC
Nice dude, I have a squier bullet strat lol. I have had that since year 7. I really need to upgrade.
Haha yeah, I went for a step up with my purchase. The Bullet just didn't feel as good to play so I decided to spend the extra money and was probably worth it. No problems with a Squier for a beginner's guitar though..

Smooth Operator

HSC
Guitars - Schecter Banshee 7A (7 String Electric), Fender Stratocaster Highway One ESS (6 String Electric), Maton EM-225 (Steel String Acoustic), Katoh MCG-150 (Classical Nylon String Guitar), Squier Frank Bello Jazz Bass Guitar
Other Gear - Marshall AVT275, Fender G-DEC, and also a wah pedal, loop pedal and a talk box.
Maton's are sexy.
Nice array of gear too!

If I were to get a new guitar it probably would be an American Deluxe or better Telecaster. Preferbly one modeled off a vintage one. Or if money was a problem one from the Squier Classic Vibe series.

turntaker

HSC
Maton's are sexy.
Nice array of gear too!

If I were to get a new guitar it probably would be an American Deluxe or better Telecaster. Preferbly one modeled off a vintage one. Or if money was a problem one from the Squier Classic Vibe series.
The classic vibes are amazing for the price. Better than made in mexico and even comparable to USA made

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC
Maton's are sexy.
Nice array of gear too!

Nice, I never really looked into Telecasters for some reason, might look at getting one later down the track.

Right now I'm saving up for an electronic drum kit, should get it around Christmas. Give me a year or two and I won't need bandmates anymore haha.

Smooth Operator

HSC
The classic vibes are amazing for the price. Better than made in mexico and even comparable to USA made
So I've heard from reviews. If you can look past the Squier brand then it would be a great guitar.

Nice, I never really looked into Telecasters for some reason, might look at getting one later down the track.

Right now I'm saving up for an electronic drum kit, should get it around Christmas. Give me a year or two and I won't need bandmates anymore haha.
Bandmates would be fun though (if you got along). I've never been in a proper band.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)