Do uni grades matter or do you just chill and study? (1 Viewer)

Leggie

HSC
higher GPA = better employment
except unlike high school not only grades matter, extra curricular, internships, experience etc... also are taken into account
Would this be the same for something like med? I don't know if this question sounds silly.

goodcat911

HSC
Would this be the same for something like med? I don't know if this question sounds silly.
From what I've heard, it shouldn't matter too much; mainly just experience and a good interview for a good job since doctor of med is a prestigious degree, regardless of which university you went to. I think it would definitely matter if you were trying to change courses within the university or go to a different university for a different course entirely. Obviously, the grades don't matter(as long as your not failing) but you should still be trying to do somewhat well cos no practice or effort means you won't have the skills for the job after grad. This is coming from someone that is in yr 10 with a sibling in her 2nd yr in uni so other ppl pls confirm...

vishnay

God
HSC
From what I've heard, it shouldn't matter too much; mainly just experience and a good interview for a good job since doctor of med is a prestigious degree, regardless of which university you went to. I think it would definitely matter if you were trying to change courses within the university or go to a different university for a different course entirely. Obviously, the grades don't matter(as long as your not failing) but you should still be trying to do somewhat well cos no practice or effort means you won't have the skills for the job after grad. This is coming from someone that is in yr 10 with a sibling in her 2nd yr in uni so other ppl pls confirm...
i believe ur grades for med do matter esp if u wanna get into competitive specialties

for other degrees i've heard from countless ppl that grades do not matter too much when trying to find a job and for actuarial studies at unsw specifically i've heard that after ur wam (weighted average mean) crosses 75 employers do not care (still rocking that HD wam tho :p)

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
The marks aren't as important as like say high school. Good marks might help you in applying for your first internship if that is relevant to your degree so that then you can gain experience. But you need to be well rounded i.e. experience + decent marks + other skills like working in groups, ability to present and speak well, so having that combination of things vs just good marks will be better.

It's not like you can just chill and study because those other things like doing a job whatever it might be to get some work experience and money for expenses, building up skills through volunteering or other workshops, require a lot of time to be dedicated to them. Due to that you might find you are more busy than you were in high school because you have to manage more responsibilities and decide which ones are higher priority, aside from the sole focus in school being to study and get a good mark.

For some degrees though the mark is actually important because for instance at UNSW if you don't attain a certain minimum mark you might not meet the requirements to do an honours year if that is something you want to do. If you want to do any future study as well like masters or PhD, then in this case the marks are very important because it will mean the difference between securing entry and a government scholarship or having to finance it yourself which is very expensive.

4321suomynona

HSC
i believe ur grades for med do matter esp if u wanna get into competitive specialties

for other degrees i've heard from countless ppl that grades do not matter too much when trying to find a job and for actuarial studies at unsw specifically i've heard that after ur wam (weighted average mean) crosses 75 employers do not care (still rocking that HD wam tho :p)
nah i asked two different med students (one at unsw and one at wsu) do marks matter if u wanna do like surgery or wanna get into a speciality later. They just said "its research, residency, experience, good interviews" etc that matter. and ur marks doesnt matter as long as u passed. Although getting good marks does help u to get a better supervisor for ur 5th year (research year) for unsw med

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)