Do people do matrix education full time? (1 Viewer)

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Original Poster said:
So I Looked at the matrix education tutors and noticed many of them already graduated from university. But instead of getting other full time work, they chose to work at matrix. Is it even possible to work full time in matrix since you can only tutor in certain time periods.

googling the salary apparently they make 84k is close to a teachers salary. So are they tutoring and marking 9-5?

@jimmysmith560
Generally speaking, it is unlikely that tutors who work at tutoring centres get to work full-time hours. This is because of two main reasons:
  • Tutoring centres employ multiple tutors. Unless they have sufficient (i.e. substantial) demand across the subjects that they offer, it is unlikely that each tutor will get to work full-time hours, or for any tutor to work full-time hours at all. This is especially the case of smaller tutoring centres.
  • As you mentioned, tutoring centres (including Matrix) typically open after school finishes on weekdays, meaning that their opening hours (i.e. less than 8 hours) are not sufficient for tutors to work full-time hours. The exception is on weekends, which is when tutoring centres typically open in the morning since students do not have school and may therefore be able to attend their lessons earlier than usual. This is when working full-time hours is actually possible. However, this still does not result in a total of weekly work hours equal to that of a full-time employee.
My understanding is that Matrix is one of the larger tutoring centres. As such, they serve a large number of students and employ a large number of tutors. They also appear to distinguish between their teachers and their tutors, where the former are in charge of teaching a class, whereas the latter are responsible for assisting individual students through one-to-one workshops. Additionally, they state that they employ more than 90 teachers, which would imply that they employ a number of tutors as well, making it unlikely that their teachers work full-time hours given the need to provide work to a significant number of teachers.

This brings us to the salary figures. It is important to note that salary figures (I assume that the figures that you have provided are from Glassdoor?) can represent any of the following:
  • Salary reports from employees
  • Salary estimates
  • Pay ranges on open jobs
Because of this, the $84,000 figure could be a mere estimation of an employee's salary if they were working full-time hours (i.e. it does not mean that they would actually be working full-time hours), which may or may not be true. There is also the possibility that Matrix offers generous remuneration, meaning that such a salary may be attained without necessarily having to work full-time, although I am not entirely sure whether this is the case.

Matrix's teacher roles (for example, this Biology Teacher role) appear to all be casual positions intended for postgraduate students and NESA accredited teachers. On the other hand, positions associated with their business functions, as well as more "senior" education-related positions are more likely to be full-time, which is interesting because it might mean that Matrix operates beyond their opening hours.

I hope this helps! :D

blyatman

HSC
N/A
The tutors are uni students so they're only on the campuses during class times. The teachers, on the other hand, can be full or part time. Most of them are part time, but there's a decent number who work at Matrix full time. During the day, they're at the main Town Hall campus doing other work like developing the course materials etc. These full-time teachers get paid full time salaries much like any other profession. There's a shortage of teachers (much like every other profession), and they're still looking to hire more full-time teachers.

Average Boreduser

𝙱𝚊𝚗𝚗𝚎𝚍
HSC
Original Poster said:
Ah cool so teachers could choose to work at tutoring centres like matrix instead of schools?
well yeah bc they dont gotta deal w dropkicks

Gr00by

HSC
Matrix teachers confuse me because unlike other tutoring centres, a large amount of the teachers have like degrees in aerospace or engineering or like PHDS, which doesn't make sense. Like there's like four teachers who have a degree in aerospace engineering like what? I feel like its due to a lack of jobs in Australia for aerospace?

Average Boreduser

𝙱𝚊𝚗𝚗𝚎𝚍
HSC
Matrix teachers confuse me because unlike other tutoring centres, a large amount of the teachers have like degrees in aerospace or engineering or like PHDS, which doesn't make sense. Like there's like four teachers who have a degree in aerospace engineering like what? I feel like its due to a lack of jobs in Australia for aerospace?
its probs from passion to teach. I personally feel like I'd do a part time job with addition to my other job (whatever it is) bc its quite fulfilling to teach a class.

blyatman

HSC
N/A
Original Poster said:
Ah cool so teachers could choose to work at tutoring centres like matrix instead of schools?
Yes that's right. A lot of part time teachers at matrix are also full time school teachers. There's also a few ex school teachers who became full time matrix teachers.

blyatman

HSC
N/A
Lmao yeah while it's true that there's not many aerospace jobs in Aus, I don't think it's related to them being matrix teachers - it's just a random coincidence. There's plenty of jobs that aerospace engineers can get that's still within engineering, or even jobs in the financial sector that would pay much more than in the engineering or education sectors. As mentioned above, it's mostly from a passion to teach.

blyatman

HSC
N/A
Original Poster said:
Yea but on their website they only seem to have part-time positions available? Where are the full time positions your referring to?
Don't have any official references, but I've been told by friends who are full-time teachers at Matrix.

Gr00by

HSC
Original Poster said:
Yea but on their website they only seem to have part-time positions available? Where are the full time positions your referring to?
There is quite a few full-time teachers but the jobs arent vacant usually, they basically are constantly updating the course or creating new content while also teaching at the same time. So, there's a lot of other work other than just teaching like a lot of the teachers also work on creating new content.

Bishalkumar

HSC
Absolutely, the workload of full-time teachers extends far beyond just classroom instruction. In addition to teaching, they are often responsible for curriculum development, lesson planning, grading assignments, and providing individualized support to students. Many teachers also engage in professional development activities to stay updated with the latest educational trends and teaching methodologies. With so many responsibilities, it's no wonder that teaching positions are often filled and teachers are continuously busy with various tasks to ensure the quality of education they provide.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)