Do i have a higher chance of getting a better ATAR in a 30 ranked school than a 200 ranked school (1 Viewer)

Clueless0182

HSC
Hey guys

i am currently in year 10 and planning to move to girra or penrith.

i have heard from many people that it is easier to get a higher atar in a lower ranked school (currently my school is ranked around 205) because its easier to be in the top 5 for each subject which apparently through some internal ranking system, boosts your ATAR. is this true??
or is it the other way around and being in a school where everyone scores higher will pull my atar up too........... Im confused??

btw do you guys think its prossible to get a 99+ atar with the subjects below :
math advanced
math ext 1
biology
chemistry
PDHPE
SDD/IPT (how do these scale btw?)

thank youuu

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
There is no material mathematical advantage for your ATAR either way. It all depends on what environment suits you to perform better, as it all comes from within yourself.

For example, there is no point going to a higher ranked school if the thought of half the grade being smarter than you makes you too demoralised to bother studying, as opposed to motivating you to work harder.

Clueless0182

HSC
There is no material mathematical advantage for your ATAR either way. It all depends on what environment suits you to perform better, as it all comes from within yourself.

For example, there is no point going to a higher ranked school if the thought of half the grade being smarter than you makes you too demoralised to bother studying, as opposed to motivating you to work harder.
hmmm that makes sense but i've heard the opposite. Don't selective school motivate you more to perform well as you are surrounded by like-minded individuals. also i feel like i can deal with the process (like lack of motivation and stuff), its just the end result (ATAR) that is bothering me a little

quickoats

HSC
hmmm that makes sense but i've heard the opposite. Don't selective school motivate you more to perform well as you are surrounded by like-minded individuals. also i feel like i can deal with the process (like lack of motivation and stuff), its just the end result (ATAR) that is bothering me a little
Both can happen when people move to a selective school. Not everyone is the same so the selective school environment won’t affect everyone in the same way.

Two things to think about are friends and travel - how will switching schools impact that?

Regarding your subjects, you can do well with just about any combo out there. If you enjoy those subjects then sure, go for it! But don’t do a subject you don’t like/you’re notgood at just because it scales well - you would’ve been better off doing the subjects that you enjoy.

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
Hey guys

i am currently in year 10 and planning to move to girra or penrith.

i have heard from many people that it is easier to get a higher atar in a lower ranked school (currently my school is ranked around 205) because its easier to be in the top 5 for each subject which apparently through some internal ranking system, boosts your ATAR. is this true??
or is it the other way around and being in a school where everyone scores higher will pull my atar up too........... Im confused??

btw do you guys think its prossible to get a 99+ atar with the subjects below :
math advanced
math ext 1
biology
chemistry
PDHPE
SDD/IPT (how do these scale btw?)

thank youuu
I was in the same situation last year (yr 10) but I decided to continue at my average school because that would mean I would lose all my friends at school and connections with staff if I was to leave. If you've been in the school since year 7, I personally feel its better staying because your teachers would know you really or pretty well so they can be more supportive and help with your weaknesses as opposed to teachers who just barely knew you.

I'd say if you don't have that much friends or connections at the school you are at now AND you know that you're resilient with the issue of new competition as trebla stated then it might be a good choice to go there. You'll have to cope with a different environment in all aspects and adjust to it while trying to get to the optimal standard which I feel might be overwhelming. If you're able to get into selective at this stage, it might be a good indicator that you can deal with the academic pressure at the early stage but personally I wanted to keep my social group and have teachers that already know me.

This is just my subjective opinion but once again you just have to weight up the pros and cons and decide which matters more to you.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
In terms of Software Design and Development (SDD) and Information Processes and Technology (IPT), and to answer your scaling question:

Some brief information - SDD:

As the name suggests, there will be a focus on software, including concepts such as software development and software solutions, meaning coding/programming will be involved.

I'm not entirely sure about the scaling of SDD, but I believe that it doesn't scale great, especially when compared to other good scaling subjects, like Mathematics Extension 1 and Mathematics Extension 2. However, this doesn't mean you can't achieve great results in this subject, but of course this will require consistent effort and study as well as determination and diligence.

Some brief information - IPT:

IPT is more about exploring information systems and how they work (including their main processes), meaning there won't be any coding/programming involved, as opposed to SDD, which goes deep into software and software-related concepts while IPT explores multiple areas but does so more generally.

IPT doesn't scale great either, although I believe this doesn't matter because the subject itself and the concepts taught are not extremely complicated, meaning you can definitely achieve great results in this subject as long as you're up-to-date with the content and are regularly studying, while at the same time being determined to perform well and being diligent in your studies.

I hope this helps! :D

Clueless0182

HSC
In terms of Software Design and Development (SDD) and Information Processes and Technology (IPT), and to answer your scaling question:

Some brief information - SDD:

As the name suggests, there will be a focus on software, including concepts such as software development and software solutions, meaning coding/programming will be involved.

I'm not entirely sure about the scaling of SDD, but I believe that it doesn't scale great, especially when compared to other good scaling subjects, like Mathematics Extension 1 and Mathematics Extension 2. However, this doesn't mean you can't achieve great results in this subject, but of course this will require consistent effort and study as well as determination and diligence.

Some brief information - IPT:

IPT is more about exploring information systems and how they work (including their main processes), meaning there won't be any coding/programming involved, as opposed to SDD, which goes deep into software and software-related concepts while IPT explores multiple areas but does so more generally.

IPT doesn't scale great either, although I believe this doesn't matter because the subject itself and the concepts taught are not extremely complicated, meaning you can definitely achieve great results in this subject as long as you're up-to-date with the content and are regularly studying, while at the same time being determined to perform well and being diligent in your studies.

I hope this helps! :D
wow that is really useful thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)