Did you integrate texts in the essay? (1 Viewer)

snakesena

HSC
Being one of the not so smart people who didn't read the question and wrote 2 related texts, I was reading through the 290+ reply thread about losing marks. I saw many people commenting on how it would lose marks becaues it would disrupt the flow of the essay if they just discounted the 2nd related text because they integrated each text.

I'm at manly (15th in the state) and we got told specifically not to do that, but to have each text as a separate paragraph. I'd confused, did most other people not do that?

bench

HSC
Being one of the not so smart people who didn't read the question and wrote 2 related texts, I was reading through the 290+ reply thread about losing marks. I saw many people commenting on how it would lose marks becaues it would disrupt the flow of the essay if they just discounted the 2nd related text because they integrated each text.

I'm at manly (15th in the state) and we got told specifically not to do that, but to have each text as a separate paragraph. I'd confused, did most other people not do that?
You have a thesis for an essay that is adapted to answer the question. Your texts are meant to show how your thesis applies, and thus become pillars in your argument. When choosing texts, students tend to choose a wide range of different forms in order to maximise the range of techniques they could show that they could identify, and to keep an essay interesting. Furthermore, students can prove one part of their multi-faceted thesis in one text, and the other part in the other text. Now in the exam if it is asked of you to use ONE text, many students that try to actually answer the question specifics would have to take out not only a large chunk of their essay, but their thesis might seem disjointed or unconcluded without the other text. This, coupled with the pressures of the HSC exam, could seriously eff up someone's 15/15 essay and drag it to a 12.

snakesena

HSC
yeah true. I personally think its easier without integrating, because it keeps the flow of the essay better IMO. Because then like the marker doesn't need to keep jumping mindsets about what text you're talking about, and you can more easily show a progressional proof of your thesis in each text. Generally the individual texts come together better IMO.

study-freak

Bored of
HSC
The same here-by text
IMO, if you do it by themes, it's hard to put many details.

snakesena

HSC
yeah thats true. means also that if u did put in two related texts, its less likely to impact on your marks

madsam

God among men
HSC
Text by Text - Linked through topic sentances directly to thesis/main argument point

And at the end of each additional a link back to how it parallels something in my prescribed text.

I did two texts, but i used my second additional to convey the devestating effects a sense of not belonging has, which would be similar to that felt by some the characters in my prescribed...

It'll be interesting how they decide to mark it

chantszhin

HSC
My intro included, my prescribed and my 2 additional.
2nd para - just prescribed
3rd para - 1st additional + prescribed
4th para - just prescribed with different theme
5th para - 2nd adidtional + prescribed

I guess they'll leave end of my intro and my 5th paragraph : [

Freshjiver

HSC
Integrated.

My structure was;

Introduction (obviously)
Prescribed; theme 1
Related; theme 1
Prescribed; theme 2
Related; theme 2
Prescribed; theme 3
Related; theme 3
Conclusion (also obviously)

Basically just adapted my own themes which fit well with 'understanding'.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)