DID u KNOW? (1 Viewer)

VanCarBus

~--> Quincy <--~
HSC
100% general maths = 100% in any other course..
that's like the gayest thing ever.
So if i waste my time trying to get 100% in 4 unit maths (impossible nearly), u can bludge do easy courses and still get a really high mark.....
Ha.
I heard that 90% general scales down to like 40

nifty03

HSC
Originally posted by VanCarBus
100% general maths = 100% in any other course..
Now that's such a rort.
2u exam was hard enough, and i don't even want to think about my 3u exam 2moz.. >_< This is so demoralising.

LaZy_KoReAn

DrunkenMC
HSC
Originally posted by nifty03
Now that's such a rort.
2u exam was hard enough, and i don't even want to think about my 3u exam 2moz.. >_< This is so demoralising.
Who does :rolleyes: i'm screwed for sure

Flick

You might find it easy, but I definitely don't! Hence the reason I'm doing general....I don't think it's fair if they (BOS) scale down the marks of general too much, I'm sure others doing general would agree, if we were smart enough to do 2 unit or higher we would have been stuck in those classes, as far as I'm concerned tho, the difficulty level of the maths exam for me was the same as the difficulty level of the 2 unit exam was for the ppl who do 2 unit, etc.

nikki_ice

I heard that 90% general scales down to like 40

Welllll all the 2/3/4 U people like to say that just to make themselves feel better...but actually that is a load of CROC.
I've actually talked to a few maths teachers, in detail, and had a drawing (in detail) mapped out about this...
If you're doing well in General Maths, then of course you will reap the benefits....doing general doesn't make you academically stupid. It is a COMPLETELY different course ,and those doing other maths have no right to be scaled up against us in retrospect to the fact that the content is completely DIFFERENT - not 'dumber'. If you have done the work in General Maths, then you shouldn't be disadvantaged ,even if u do well. Shouldn't be SACRIFICED AT THE STAKE :chainsaw:
, if you will, for the sake of the other maths. Believe me, it takes a hell of alot of work, too.

what you 'hear' ...are just old wives tales. It isn't everything...its how you do OVERALL.

:) pls dont bite my head off:p im just very angry right now:p

Lundy

Banned
HSC
Originally posted by nikki_ice
Welllll all the 2/3/4 U people like to say that just to make themselves feel better...but actually that is a load of CROC.
I've actually talked to a few maths teachers, in detail, and had a drawing (in detail) mapped out about this...
If you're doing well in General Maths, then of course you will reap the benefits....doing general doesn't make you academically stupid. It is a COMPLETELY different course ,and those doing other maths have no right to be scaled up against us in retrospect to the fact that the content is completely DIFFERENT - not 'dumber'. If you have done the work in General Maths, then you shouldn't be disadvantaged ,even if u do well. Shouldn't be SACRIFICED AT THE STAKE :chainsaw:
, if you will, for the sake of the other maths. Believe me, it takes a hell of alot of work, too.

what you 'hear' ...are just old wives tales. It isn't everything...its how you do OVERALL.

:) pls dont bite my head off:p im just very angry right now:p
I won't bite your head off. I completely agree with you. General people have this reputation of being "dumber" which shits me

KAty

To all u 2/3/4 unit ppl (VanCarBus) why do u waste your time in the general forum, talking to people that are "like so below your standard" !
Get over yourself , yes we do do general and yes we may get scaled down, but i dont see how u have the knowledge to tell us how much we do actually get scaled down when u are probably so far off the mark

build a bridge, get over it and fuk off back to your 'upperclass' 4 unit forum u loser !

dont u have something better to do with your time (like study) rather than trying to 'demoralise' us hahaha

Good luck with the HSC hope u fail 4 unit haha
:D :eek:

Benno

HSC
You go girl!!! and i agree how dare people who do 4 U come here and judge us, we chose this course and will reap the benifents/consquences!!!

hec

here here:p

good on you katy- bout time somebody said what everyone was thinking :)

id like to see these "4 units" take our test and see if they get 100%

just because you are more adept than us at maths doesnt give you the right to assume that you are more intelligent than us:rolleyes:

get over yourself we dont care what level maths you do and we dont care what you think of us you peice of shit

:D

parko

RN in 2007
HSC
hahaha very true

general maths is a hard course in itself- i know my maths teachers have had to tell the 2/3/4uniters to stop saying general is the "dumb maths" noone in my year has gotten a raw mark of 100% in either our half yearlies or trials in prelim or HSC year. and noone in 2/3/4 unit has gotten 100% in their respective courses either.

general gets scaled down so badly cos when they re-wrote the new syllabus they realised that kids who were way too smart for it did maths in society just to get 100%. scaling is the "supposed" deterrant.....

the courses are different and can't be compared. one uses calculus and the other doesnt. they cover different things and cater for people who have different needs for maths. i chose general cos its the level i need, why make it harder on myself and study 4 unit when i dont have to?!! id rather study subjects i like and can use in my life than waste 4 units on a subject that is completely irrelevant (and too bloody hard)

for goodness sake get over ripping people off about the level of maths they do- that cant be the thing you have to worry about most in your life

parko :D

Rahul

Dead Member
i dont think the point of this thread was to have a go at general maths students, or vice versa.

vancarbus' post was a little misinformed.

the top mark in gen maths was very similar to that of in 3u or 4u maths, or most other subjects for that matter. but then as your rank in the state starts dropping, so does your hsc mark. this drop is worse for people doing the 'easier' subjects.
i personally agree with this system. as it allows people to be ranked across all levels of maths. getting all students doing any level of maths the same paper(s) would be the other solution, although an unviable one. well, the 'scaling' for any subject allows people to be ranked relative to everyone else. thats the only way UAI's [ranks] can work.
its the same case for standard english, the BOS doesnt feel as though standard students can meet the criteria for a band 6.

the subjects are designed and should be chosen due to the level that suits you, and also what you like. sometimes even uni pre-requisites.

parko

RN in 2007
HSC
Originally posted by Rahul
i dont think the point of this thread was to have a go at general maths students, or vice versa.
yea i know. just gets a little annoying when u get called dumb because of the level of maths you do

thats all

Rahul

Dead Member
Originally posted by parko
yea i know. just gets a little annoying when u get called dumb because of the level of maths you do

thats all

so thats all you read of my post :p ;)
j/k
i agree with you, you cannot say someone is dumb/smarter with the level of maths they do...

scaling/aligning/etc are all extrenal factors, if YOU do as well as you can in whatever subject you do, you will be rewarded with the mark you deserver, may that be 50 in 4u or 90 in general.

parko

RN in 2007
HSC
hahaha

no i DID read ur entire post. very informative!! :cool:

lol, its just silly rivalries..............not exactly sure why they started but, anyhoo!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)