DFEE cutoff higher than CSP??? (1 Viewer)

hopeless idiot

HSC
I'm a little confused, is it possible for the DFEE cutoff for a certain course be higher than the cutoff for CSP? It seems to have happened to B Optometry/B Science this year. I applied for both, thinking that if I didn't get CSP, I'd get DFEE but when I checked my offers, I'd gotten the CSP one but not the DFEE one. Looking at the cutoffs now, I see why. But how is it possible? :confused:

Sprinkles~

splashing in puddles
HSC
DFEE courses aren't automatically calculated to have a UAI that is lower than CSP places, it all depends on the demand. Usually there is less demand for DFEE places which is why the UAI is usually lower, but it is possible for the UAI to end up higher if demand increases... which is obviously what happened in that case.

Sprinkles~

splashing in puddles
HSC
Because they don't quite get the UAI they hoped for and think they'll have a better chance of getting a DFEE place instead of missing out altogether because the UAI is generally lower.

hopeless idiot

HSC
I see. I guess they should have put in the CSP at the off chance that they'd get it....hehe.....

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
The UAC system is all Economics - Demand and Supply.

If students all think they won't get a CSP place, and go for 1st Pref a DFEE place especially for Medicine / Law courses, then this cut off will happen. Quite an amazing event I'd say...almost like finding a needle in a haystack :) Man I would've been happy if this happened to my desired course + my HSC year.

kimberlin

HSC
OMG . i emailed optom @ unsw on the day and this was their response:

The cut-off is correct. This cut-off is dependent on preferences that applicants have listed.

Sprinkles~

splashing in puddles
HSC
It happened in a few courses at Newcastle as well, the bachelor of arts and bachelor of science being two of them. :p

drewgcn

postpantsism
HSC
Wow, imagine how many people must have done that for the UAI to actually end up higher. That means every single one of them could have gone CSP.

And it's going to cost each of them over $50K.

Last edited:

QBGuy

HSC
Perhaps the DFEE cutoff is higher than CSP this year because many of the people who applied for the course aren't Australian citizens (and are therefore not eligible for HECS)
Meanwhile their parents could be earning a load of money back in their country, with a much lower tax rate.. So the extra $15k or so they pay per year here could well be overcompensated by the amount they save in taxes.

That, or they're just not eligible to become citizens, and which case, they're rather stuffed =)

Mel_b

HSC
Well, if they aren't citizens, they wouldn't be domestic fee paying students. They would be international fee paying students.

DeathB4Life

Bánned
HSC
maybe they wanted to pay $50k to save themselves an extra preference slot....

*shrugs

Last edited:

Rekkusu

HSC
Lol, students can always elect for another course number (i.e. degree that's CSP OR Dfee) in the late round...god knows how many Med students do this every year ;)

Jeez..even B Sci had this happening?

Sprinkles~

splashing in puddles
HSC
Rekkusu said:
Jeez..even B Sci had this happening?
ahuh, i couldn't believe it when i read the cut offs lol.

^^ when they were choosing their preferences they might have thought they'd miss the cut off for the CSP and i'd say they'd have been pretty shocked when the cut off ended up higher for Dfee! if paying was going to be the only way they'd get in, then why wouldn't they? (assuming they could get the money of course)

sladehk

le random
HSC
csp should generally be > dfee (commonsensically)
but its economics, demand vs supply,
therefore this case IS possible

Rekkusu

HSC
Yup, anyone who's taken year 11 + 12 Economics should know that weird situations do occur =)

@Sprinkes~ Wooow, still =) At least this year alot of speculation helped out by either lowering or increasing UAI cut-offs.

Man UNSW's Med Sci rose quite abit...honestly, people must be excited about the Graduate Med scheme with Med Sci.

groovejet

HSC
N/A
If last year's DFEE for a course was 81 and this year's cut-off was the same, does that mean the demand isn't as high and therefore people may still get a place for DFEE?

stazi

Nightman
HSC
or people simply fucked up their prefrences. ironically, optometry students can't see straight.

groovejet

HSC
N/A
Some of the people this year may have put both CSP and DFEE for one course if they felt that their rank may not be good enough. You would get two options of this was the case from UAC. Obviously, the person would choose CSP and DFEE would be put back.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)