Cut off (1 Viewer)

s_bilgrami89

HSC
ranked 41 out of approx 120 - school rank is somewhere around 17 or 18
what would i need for a band 6

mike12345678

HSC
I read an article about alignment from the BOS and it said it has no actual effect on your ATAR

me = confused
yea thats right georgieee.

the ATAR is calculated with your raw marks. they get these raw marks before aligning occurs

"Australian Tertiary Admission Rank (ATAR)

The HSC results are used by the Universities Admissions Centre (UAC) to calculate a rank order of students known as the Australian Tertiary Admission Rank (ATAR). The ATAR is not a mark, nor is it a summary of the HSC. It is a ranking system used to allocate university placements.

The UAC releases the ATAR the day after the Board releases the HSC results. The UAC calculates the university admission ranks each year using students’:

moderated assessment marks (before alignment with the standards), and
total exam marks (before alignment with the standards)."

http://boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/hsc-results/understanding.html

Demise

HSC
yea thats right georgieee.

the ATAR is calculated with your raw marks. they get these raw marks before aligning occurs

"Australian Tertiary Admission Rank (ATAR)

The HSC results are used by the Universities Admissions Centre (UAC) to calculate a rank order of students known as the Australian Tertiary Admission Rank (ATAR). The ATAR is not a mark, nor is it a summary of the HSC. It is a ranking system used to allocate university placements.

The UAC releases the ATAR the day after the Board releases the HSC results. The UAC calculates the university admission ranks each year using students’:

moderated assessment marks (before alignment with the standards), and
total exam marks (before alignment with the standards)."

http://boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/hsc-results/understanding.html
"Student performance in each HSC course is measured against defined standards. HSC marks for each course are divided into bands and each band aligns with a description of a typical performance by a student within that mark range."

Aligning determines your final mark which defines your ATAR after it is sent to UAC. If you're aligned to a 90, your ATAR mark will be higher than an aligned 80.

" total exam marks (before alignment with the standards)."

I think we got words mixed up, is alignment the ATAR mark you get for each specific subject after your exam mark is sent to UAC or is that scaling? I'm confused.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
In 2010 it was 88.62/100. I've attached the raw mark database table so you can have a look at the previous cut-offs.

View attachment 26681
That's after scaling each module. If you compare with the actual RAW marks (out of 105), it's quite similar to past years, it's just that everything seemed to scale significantly upward that year.

kenkap

HSC
"Student performance in each HSC course is measured against defined standards. HSC marks for each course are divided into bands and each band aligns with a description of a typical performance by a student within that mark range."

Aligning determines your final mark which defines your ATAR after it is sent to UAC. If you're aligned to a 90, your ATAR mark will be higher than an aligned 80.

" total exam marks (before alignment with the standards)."

I think we got words mixed up, is alignment the ATAR mark you get for each specific subject after your exam mark is sent to UAC or is that scaling? I'm confused.
the raw mark you scored (unknown to you) is aligned by BOS....BOS send these aligned marks to UAC which scales them...so first process is aligning, second process is scaling...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)