CSU Wagga Vet Science (1 Viewer)

Sami7197

HSC
Hi There,

I'm hoping to be accepted into CSU Wagga Wagga for Veterinary Science this year but want some information from student and some opinions. I have a huge interest and passion for Vet science, and have finally made the decision about going into large animals as i find cattle, horses, sheep etc. a lot more interesting and challenging then domestic animals. I plan on making CSU my first priority for this reason. I unfortunately live in the city and only had rural connections from last year.

Firstly do you think I have a chance on being accepted based on the following experienc, grades/subjects etc.:
Experiences:
- I have worked/volunteered at two stables (including for a well-known show jumper)
- I have experience with cattle (only 11 days) including showing at Sydney Royal easter show, the people who i did work experience with and others who saw me working with the cattle were impressed with my skills and many shocked at how little experience i had
- during my work experience with cattle i also vaccinated, docked and castrated lambs
- I volunteered at equitana sydney last year and have pretty much been guaranteed a spot for this years team
- I have volunteered at my local vet (who is small animals)
- I compete in flyball with my dog which takes me throughout new and act to various locations to compete, where i sometimes have to handle her under stressful situations
- I'm hopping to be able to volunteer at an equine vet but have to ask yet
Subject/ranks:
Chemistry - 3rd averaging about 80%
Physics - =3rd averaging about 80%
Biology - approx 3rd averaging about 89%
Adv Maths - =11 averaging about 83%
English Standard - averaging about 80%

I'd also like to know about the accommodation:
What's self catered like? food? rooms?
What about catered?
how hard is it to get accommodation? (I live 5-6hrs away)

And interviews:
What should i expect if I'm lucky enough to get one?
Do i need interview clothes as if i am applying for job?

If anybody can think of any other information i might be interested or any tips that would be AWESOME :)
I'm also planning on applying to Murdoch Uni, SydUni, Uni of QLD, James Cook Uni, Uni of Melbourne and Uni of Adelaide. (Can you tell I don't want to do anything BUT Vet? haha)

Sami7197

HSC
CSU Veterinary Science Program Advice Needed!!!

Hi There,

I'm hoping to be accepted into CSU Wagga Wagga for Veterinary Science this year but want some information from student and some opinions. I have a huge interest and passion for Vet science, and have finally made the decision about going into large animals as i find cattle, horses, sheep etc. a lot more interesting and challenging then domestic animals. I plan on making CSU my first priority for this reason. I unfortunately live in the city and only had rural connections from last year.

Do you think i have a chance on being accepted considering the following?
Experiences:
- I have worked/volunteered at two stables (including for a well-known show jumper)
- I have experience with cattle (only 11 days) including showing at Sydney Royal easter show, the people who i did work experience with and others who saw me working with the cattle were impressed with my skills and many shocked at how little experience i had
- during my work experience with cattle i also vaccinated, docked and castrated lambs
- I volunteered at equitana sydney last year and have pretty much been guaranteed a spot for this years team
- I have volunteered at my local vet (who is small animals)
- I compete in flyball with my dog which takes me throughout new and act to various locations to compete, where i sometimes have to handle her under stressful situations
- I'm hopping to be able to volunteer at an equine vet but have to ask yet
Subject/ranks:
Chemistry - 3rd averaging about 80%
Physics - =3rd averaging about 80%
Biology - approx 3rd averaging about 89%
Adv Maths - =11 averaging about 83%
English Standard - averaging about 80%

If anybody can think of any other information i might be interested or any tips that would be AWESOME
I'm also planning on applying to Murdoch Uni, SydUni, Uni of QLD, James Cook Uni, Uni of Melbourne and Uni of Adelaide. (Can you tell I don't want to do anything BUT Vet? haha)

bangladesh

HSC
Re: CSU Veterinary Science Program Advice Needed!!!

goodluck, your experience looks good

B3A13

HSC
Uni Grad

Hi there,
I am at UQ studying vet atm.
I think that work experience at a veterinary clinic/ volunteering and an OP 1/ 99.05 atar I think
will suffice. It is great to study out at Gatton with all the large and small animal
work you get to do with actual working animals. :)

Good Luck to you, and if you don't get straight in don't give up.
I missed out by a few points but transferring is not too difficult and is actually
a really invaluable learning experience.

Jewls

HSC
N/A

Vet science has become easier to get into with the three new universities.
You have some good experience.
Bare in mind a few things:
-A lot of vets leave cattle/sheep work after only a few years because of the long hours and low wages. Often night call outs and weekends. Animals are often killed because their dollar value isn't worth treatment.
-A vet degree is expensive, long, employment prospects are deteriorating for graduates, wages are low and hours long which can impact family life.

If you are aware of these and still committed, best of luck.

Sami7197

HSC

Have been aware of these for a while and understand that USYD also now holds the lowest unemployment rate fro Vet Science out of the 7 Uni's offering it (so much for being prestige!). Also know that the average starting wage is $45000 a year, with most courses costing $10000 each year for 6 years plus if i go to any uni other than Sydney (which i want to) I'll be adding about another $60 000 in accommodation :\ But I seriously have no interest in any other career

Jewls

HSC
N/A

Also know that the average starting wage is $45000 a year
The starting wage for one in five veterinary graduates is a lot closer to $0, zero dollars. Underemployment has skyrocketed.

Sami7197

HSC

Starting wage = once you actually work
But luckily I've possibly got 2 or 3 practices willing to take me as an intern even though it's 7 -> 9 years away depend my on which pathway I follow

Tangent

HSC
Heya,

The experience you have seems pretty reasonable. Just remember that you are competing with everyone else that applies for the course, so you want to get the best ATAR possible, and any experience you have will be a big +. The fantastic thing about the CSU vet course is the vast amount of hands on experience you get with all types of animals, so your choice is definitely a good one.

In regards to accommodation, you really get what you pay for. The lower end accomm is pretty terrible, whereas new res and also the newer accom that has just been built is supposed to be pretty good.

I'll ask a few of my friends, as they are in their 4th year of Vet science atm, though they are currently in the middle of exams. Bear with me ;D

Tangent

HSC
Actually, it seems that procrastination is working in your favor. Here is her response:

"You have to have prior experience with small and large animals to go on your application, as well as a short essay on an agricultural topic they pick and a letter to the head of school on why they should pick you

Then if you get through that, you sit the interview

Wear smart clothes, collared shirt, slacks etc. More aggie chic than office chic tho

If you're from the city, you have to get an atar over 90

If you're from the country, it's over 85" (due to the 5 bonus points)

If you don't make it into vet, there is the option of doing the first year of animal science. If your marks are good enough, you can transfer to vet.

Sami7197

HSC
Thank you :) If i don't get in my back up plan is to do animal bioscience at Usyd and either transfer or complete it and then go into the postgrad DVM. I'm unfortunately in the city (ugh).

liz2814

HSC
I actually went to the myday for CSU to look at vet science in Wagga Wagga in 2012 [when i was in year 12], it looked absolutely amazing and I would have put it as an option, but they are very very big on experience with large animals. I had a fair bit of experience with horses, but they seemed to be far more interested in people who either lived out in the country and had a farm, or those in the city who owned a farm elsewhere and worked on it. You have more experience than most people from the city who would have applied, but just keep in mind the more experience the better, especially with cattle. I'm in 2nd year vet science at USYD and it has been amazing so far, I have recently discovered that I have a passion for large animals as well :) CSU is not the only uni that focuses on large animals, they all do as far as I know. In 4th year ill be living out at Camden for a year which I am so excited about! Good luck with everything, vet science is an amazing course if you are willing to put the hard work in :)

TankKuno

HSC
Extremely late to the party but I too am thinking of going to CSU for the vet program. I am in year 12 and estimated to get a 93 atar. I have a year work experience working with domestic animals though, so I dont know what I'm going to do

babyhales

HSC
has any that applied for 2024 entry heard back about an interview? very stressed about it!! thanks in advance :)

amelia_behr

HSC
has any that applied for 2024 entry heard back about an interview? very stressed about it!! thanks in advance :)
I’m stressing too! Have not heard anything yet but I assume they will be notifying this week (mid Nov) let me know if you get anything and I’ll do the same

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)