Crime Fiction - Story (1 Viewer)

goti

HSC
My detective was a judge, who believed the judicial system had become corrupt and believed in his own innate sense of justice to RECONSTRUCT the truth from DESTRUCTION, I also had the perspective of the murderer who also believes in RECONSTRUCTING his perfect justice, but achieves this through murdering those he considers unworthy to live.

I didn't talk about the "landscape" DAMN...oh well hopefully the whole reconstruction - destruction thing will get me through

N4FE

HSC
1qaz2wsxokm said:
LOL! omg omg i cud hab screwed it =S! ma story was about a boy wid his grand father walking on the stepz on a rainy day n it was thunderin etc etc n he told me a story abt war and how 1 such person died in da war when he was trying 2 escape. This story is told wen da grandfather and me (6 yrs old) are walkin up the stairs and it goes on til da grandfather quits journalism due to the war and the ill effects of it... Then the grandad is on the MIDDLE step and says you got choices to make and they cud be DESTRUCTIVE or constructive. THERE is a flash bak and IM GEORGE BUSH thinking bak on my childhoooood! and they 1 of my seceteries ask "how many ppl u want 2 send 2 iraq??" and den i say no1!! so i have DUN DA RECONSTRUCTION part... is dis a gud story im worried i didnt use da conventions =S!
What?

1qaz2wsxokm

HSC
I said :

I could have screwed it up, my story was about a boy with his grandfather walking on thes teps on a rainy day and it was thundering etc and he told me a story about war and how one such person died in the war when he was trying to esecape. This story is told when the grandfather and me (6 yrs old) are walking up the stairs and it goes on till the grandfather quits journalism due to the war and the ill effects of it... then the granddad is on the MIDDLE step and says you have choices to make and they could be destructive or constructive. There is a flash back and I'M GEORGE BUSH thinking back on my childhood and then one of my secretaries asks "how many people do you want sent to Iraq?" and then I say "no one" so I have done the reconstruction part...

=P!

tessabee

HSC
p342i said:
What in the world does that have to do with crime fiction???

BTW - from the way you write I think you need to go take a Valium
I think war has something to do with crimes against humanity...

p342i

HSC
tessabee said:
I think war has something to do with crimes against humanity...
Even still, crime fiction needs more than crime. From that outline, I can't even see a direct crime, a mystery, a detective: it certainly does not accord to any sub-genre.

Its thats crime fiction then so is 'Triumph of the Will'

tessabee

HSC
p342i said:
Even still, crime fiction needs more than crime. From that outline, I can't even see a direct crime, a mystery, a detective: it certainly does not accord to any sub-genre.

Its thats crime fiction then so is 'Triumph of the Will'
I had a really awesome time in my extension english lessons. Towards the end of our course we spent time examining texts are considering "is this crime?" or "how is this a crime text." For example we looked at 'A good woman' (film adapted from Oscar Wilde's Lady Wildermere's Fan) No actual crime takes place (a little bit of blackmail) but the conventions of crime were apparent, mystery its key element. Also Queer as Folk, it can be argued is a crime text, twenty minutes of a series is focussing on Gay hate crimes. Then we looked at Blaxploitation films like Jackie Brown. So sparing you from the entire outline of my course... Crime is pretty malleable.

I'm more of an Albert Speer student... i reckon that first personalties question in modern history was to easy. But yeah 'Triumph of will' interesting to explore... I will pass that on to my teacher for next year.

My crime story was about Pompeii, (this is a super brief outline) The mafia whilst doing reconstruction work brick a guy in behind a wall. Later discovered and investigated by archaeologists. Reconstruction and deconstruction. But then i did forget a title...

You sound like a smart chap and I will probably end up working for you...

p342i

HSC
tessabee said:
I had a really awesome time in my extension english lessons. Towards the end of our course we spent time examining texts are considering "is this crime?" or "how is this a crime text." For example we looked at 'A good woman' (film adapted from Oscar Wilde's Lady Wildermere's Fan) No actual crime takes place (a little bit of blackmail) but the conventions of crime were apparent, mystery its key element. Also Queer as Folk, it can be argued is a crime text, twenty minutes of a series is focussing on Gay hate crimes. Then we looked at Blaxploitation films like Jackie Brown. So sparing you from the entire outline of my course... Crime is pretty malleable.

I'm more of an Albert Speer student... i reckon that first personalties question in modern history was to easy. But yeah 'Triumph of will' interesting to explore... I will pass that on to my teacher for next year.

My crime story was about Pompeii, (this is a super brief outline) The mafia whilst doing reconstruction work brick a guy in behind a wall. Later discovered and investigated by archaeologists. Reconstruction and deconstruction. But then i did forget a title...

You sound like a smart chap and I will probably end up working for you...
Pompeii! Thats an awesome idea! I love the idea of archaeologists as the detective/investigator - so original.

I think that for it to be classified as Crime Fiction it needs more than just a crime: (in fact as you have shown, a crime isnt even necessary at all: as is pretty much the case in Skull Beneath the Skin)

Although you could argue that crime ficiton is whatever you want it to be, considering the evolutionary nature of genre; I would say that traditionally speaking, you at least need to have a number of the fundamental conventions - detectie, mystery, crime etc....

If that story is crime fiction, then it is certainly an experimental form that is testing the boundaries of the genre. Its fair enough to go that way; except for the the fact that the marking criteria is:

- demonstrate understanding of the conventions of the genre and the ideas and values associated with the genre
- sustain an extended composition appropiate to the question, demonstrating control in the use of language

I suppose I just dont see too many conventions or ideas of crime fiction there; perhaps values but again experimental - like war crimes, conscription etc...

I think that ultimately, that story will be one of the kind that either goes exceptionally well or extravagantly bad - pending on the reception of the marker.

BTW - thanks for the comment.

Last edited:

tessabee

HSC
p342i said:
Pompeii! Thats an awesome idea! I love the idea of archaeologists as the detective/investigator - so original.

I think that for it to be classified as Crime Fiction it needs more than just a crime: (in fact as you have shown, a crime isnt even necessary at all: as is pretty much the case in Skull Beneath the Skin)

Although you could argue that crime ficiton is whatever you want it to be, considering the evolutionary nature of genre; I would say that traditionally speaking, you at least need to have a number of the fundamental conventions - detectie, mystery, crime etc....

If that story is crime fiction, then it is certainly an experimental form that is testing the boundaries of the genre. Its fair enough to go that way; except for the the fact that the marking criteria is:

- demonstrate understanding of the conventions of the genre and the ideas and values associated with the genre
- sustain an extended composition appropiate to the question, demonstrating control in the use of language

I suppose I just dont see too many conventions or ideas of crime fiction there; perhaps values but again experimental - like war crimes, conscription etc...

I think that ultimately, that story will be one of the kind that either goes exceptionally well or extravagantly bad - pending on the reception of the marker.

BTW - thanks for the comment.
Thanks. I just like to rant in someones defence occasionally...
Meh, time for textiles...

BrentDG

HSC
At first i was thrown by the stimilus, but then realised I HAVE to make this work, it's the HSC lol. I adapted my pre-prepared story. I wrote a parody of crime fiction.

Titled "The Death of Originality," basically the victims name is Countess Originality, and she is murdered. Detective Post Modernism is called in with his loyal side kick Social Spectator, to decide out of the Butler (who Social spectator says it CAN'T be because it goes against the conventions), General Boundaries and Mr Aristocrat whi is guilty.

Basically the story has two meanings, the literal murder, but through the characters names and subsequent story, I accuse the Social Spectators of crime fiction for the "destruction" of the genre, and Detective Post Modernism (Who marries Originality at the end) as reconstructing the genre, by giving it new life.

Basically, it was a setup to capture us, the Social Spectator, as destroying Crime Fiction because we don't value Originality, rather we follow the conventions.

The murder occured in a dark alley, at the back of a staircase that led up into the Estate, and the Detective and his sidekick arrived on a bike.

Hope it's good enough.

Last edited:

Porcia

HSC
BrentDG said:
At first i was thrown by the stimilus, but then realised I HAVE to make this work, it's the HSC lol. I adapted my pre-prepared story. I wrote a parody of crime fiction.

Titled "The Death of Originality," basically the victims name is Countess Originality, and she is murdered. Detective Post Modernism is called in with his loyal side kick Social Spectator, to decide out of the Butler (who Social spectator says it CAN'T be because it goes against the conventions), General Boundaries and Mr Aristocrat whi is guilty.

Basically the story has two meanings, the literal murder, but through the characters names and subsequent story, I accuse the Social Spectators of crime fiction for the "destruction" of the genre, and Detective Post Modernism (Who marries Originality at the end) as reconstructing the genre, by giving it new life.

Basically, it was a setup to capture us, the Social Spectator, as destroying Crime Fiction because we don't value Originality, rather we follow the conventions.

The murder occured in a dark alley, at the back of a staircase that led up into the Estate, and the Detective and his sidekick arrived on a bike.

Hope it's good enough.
omg i did something similar!!!

Death of the Auteur (a la Barthes' Death of the Author)

almightyBZZZ

Snib Control Officer.
HSC
Hmm.
I wrote about the detective being the murderer of his son, framing his son's girlfriend for the murder, but inevitably being caught by a prison guard who had garlic breath and who was getting blackmailed by the detective because the detective knew that the prison guard had realised he was the murderer of his son.
It was a pre-prepared thing, but I inserted a scene where the detective is questioning the justice of the killing of his son, saying that the detective killed his son because he was trying to restore justice (reconstruction), after his son's girlfriend turned him into a pothead (deconstruction).
I used the little quote (I think it was 'Crime disrupts the setting' or something??) when the detective said that he disrupted his setting among the world of law and justice. Hehe...it was a bit of a stretch.
I used the picture as the setting for the house that the detective's son and his girlfriend lived in.

sixteen pages. I was surprised at how much I integrated the stimulus and the question. Kudos to eliza.

HSC
hmm, i thought my story was fair............ except the stupid picture thing wasn't in it... i mean the stairs were to the house that burnt down and the person died in, i sorta forgot it so i just added no more of the house and stairs or something...
do you think that will be a big thing....?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)