Course Enrollment and background knowledge...Help me :( (1 Viewer)

beatrixxx

HSC
N/A
Hi all,

I'm beginning my study as a BCST major this August (2017 Semester 2)

I'm quite confused about enrollment since I'm entering mid-year

Can anyone please tell me whether the below combination of units is okay for my first semester?

ELEC1601 Introduction to Computer Systems
INFO1103 Introduction to Programming
MATH1003 Integral Calculus and Modelling
MATH1005 Statistics
PHIL1012 Introductory Logic

Also, what can I prepare for ELEC1601 and INFO1103? I'm quite bad at math and I don't really have any knowledge about computing .. :(

Thank you all in advance~!

Amundies

Commander-in-Chief
HSC
Uni Grad
Nah 5 subjects is right (for 1st year). MATH1003 and MATH1005 count as half subjects each, so you're fine in that regard. Not a BCST student so not entirely sure about the other subjects, but it does seem reasonable.

sida1049

HSC
I think you shouold be doing 4 subjects
USYD junior mathematics unit are worth 3 credit points each, so that's alright. To OP, those courses are fine (in fact, from what I can see, they are your ideal choices).

Getting good at INFO1103 mostly involves actually working with the code. There is a set textbook for it, called 'Java: An Introduction to Problem Solving and Programming' (which if you're lucky enough, you may be able to find online). But to be honest, reading this kind of thing may be daunting for the first time, so don't be worried if you find reading it to be difficult. You should be able to find resources online to get you started in programming in Java, if you want some early preparation and practice.

Towards the start of the semester, MATH1003 course notes will be available for purchase from Kopystop. You can read ahead with the notes to prepare. Otherwise, make sure your comfortable with your high school integration techniques and whatnot.

Good luck!

beatrixxx

HSC
N/A
Thanks a lot!!

Actually, I'm worried so much about MATHs...

Just one more thing.. Is it possible for me to drop one of the two Math units and thus take 4 units worth 21 credits for my first semester? Or do I have to fill 24 credits no matter what?

Thanks again for your detailed reply~!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)