Computer Science undergrand in NSW -- UNSW or USYD? (1 Viewer)

xetamine

HSC
I'm in Year 12 and trying to decide how to preference unis. I'm interested in doing computer science (not IT), and I'm primarily considering between UNSW and USYD. I am aware that UNSW vs USYD has been debated ad-infinitum, but I'd like a comp sci focused perspective.

How is the quality of education? The attitudes / "culture" of people who go there? I'd gladly appreciate any comments :)

Just some personal info: I'm a self taught programmer; been coding since I was 13. I have strong programming fundamentals but less mathematics. I'm looking to get a few years of work experience, and then found startups which would involve pitching to investors / overseas angels and VCs.

Last edited:

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
UNSW

The COMP1917 - your first computing course - lecturer, if you get Richard Buckland, he's apparently awesome.

In fact, all the lecturers and the general teaching in computing I've been super happy with. Considering just over a year ago I'd never touched programming, I feel... less incompetent now :)

so again UNSW wins (as usual)

GoldyOrNugget

Señor Member
HSC
UTS is the best uni For Comp Sci in Australia
This is misleading at best and incorrect at worst.

UNSW, USyd and ANU are all FAR better than UTS at computer science. Ask any student, or look at the ATAR cutoffs, or which companies the graduates of each university go to. They are equally ranked in the "101-150" category in the 2014 academic world rankings for CS, and they all have a score of 0.0.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
This is misleading at best and incorrect at worst.

UNSW, USyd and ANU are all FAR better than UTS at computer science.
Well, actually, UTS hasn't offered Comp Sci for over 10 years. I think rankings must be based on the IT courses, but if you are cross shopping Comp Sci degrees that is not the course for you.

Also, ATAR cut offs are pretty meaningless (especially since you brought ANU in to the mix).

Flop21

HSC
Well, actually, UTS hasn't offered Comp Sci for over 10 years. I think rankings must be based on the IT courses, but if you are cross shopping Comp Sci degrees that is not the course for you.

Also, ATAR cut offs are pretty meaningless (especially since you brought ANU in to the mix).
Can you, or someone please help me. I'm aiming for UNSW Computer Science, but I have to put 5 preferences in for UAC obviously. So what uni / degree should I put after UNSW? I'm thinking USYD computer science, then whatever is the most relevant degree at UTS??

keepLooking

HSC
Oh no, seems like there is quite a bunch of people that would want to do CS. Cut-offs pls.

Personally, I don't know much but most of the opinion is generally swayed towards UNSW.

Ikki

HSC
Note: UNSW doesn't have buckland teaching us anymore.

Regardless, I think UNSW has one of the best Comp Sci degrees in Australia. Sure it'll be hard work, but the amount you get out of it would be insane. Friends at UTS say their course is okay, lecturers are okay. USYD not sure but pretty sure no where near UNSW level. UNSW lecturers are fairly good, tutors are AMAZING (like atm my tutors are at google).

Menomaths

Exaı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸lted Member
HSC
Note: UNSW doesn't have buckland teaching us anymore.

Regardless, I think UNSW has one of the best Comp Sci degrees in Australia. Sure it'll be hard work, but the amount you get out of it would be insane. Friends at UTS say their course is okay, lecturers are okay. USYD not sure but pretty sure no where near UNSW level. UNSW lecturers are fairly good, tutors are AMAZING (like atm my tutors are at google).
This makes UNSW even better

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)