Computer Science and Software Engineering Jobs? (1 Viewer)

lgn

HSC
Hey was just wondering how different or similar the jobs for computer science and software engineering is?

Are there jobs that are strictly for computer science itself and not software engineers?

Thanks

astroman

HSC
there is usually not jobs that require a 'computer scientist', usually they want people like: quality control technicians, hardware inspectors, researchers, whilst there are specific software engineering jobs, requiring you to create code usually in c++

Reactions: lgn

GoldyOrNugget

Señor Member
HSC
there is usually not jobs that require a 'computer scientist', usually they want people like: quality control technicians, hardware inspectors, researchers, whilst there are specific software engineering jobs, requiring you to create code usually in c++
This is really wrong. Ignore all of it.

The vast majority of computer scientist graduates go on to become software developers/engineers. Some become researchers, data scientists, test engineers, product managers, etc. "Quality control technician" would not be a suitable position for a CS graduate and "hardware inspector" is a made up term as far as I can tell. Software engineering jobs don't require you to code "usually in c++" lol, not at all. C++ jobs make up probably less than 10% of software jobs, and any programming job will almost certainly require skill in multiple languages.

There is no difference in the jobs or opportunities available to those with a CS degree vs a SE degree. The difference between these two degrees is usually defined on a uni-by-uni basis, and in some unis CS is the more academic/theoretical course while in others it's SE.

Flop21

HSC
Hey was just wondering how different or similar the jobs for computer science and software engineering is?

Are there jobs that are strictly for computer science itself and not software engineers?

Thanks
I have researched this a LOT (I was wondering which degree to pick).

Ultimately, no.

At UNSW you'll see the 2 degrees are pretty much the same (with SE having more compulsory subjects, and CS having more free electives). Not sure how it is at other unis.

I've heard that at other universities, or the general consensus is, SE is more practical, teach you skills that will be useful in a job, (developing software with the proper procedures etc.), while CS is more theory and some things you might not find practical to employment, you'll learn tough concepts etc. But like I said, at UNSW little little difference - so doesn't really matter.

Employers don't care if you have a SE degree or CS degree. Job prospects will be the same. You might get an employer who doesn't know the difference and might prefer SE or CS, but that's not an employer I really want to be working for. If you REALLY want to know which one MIGHT be worth more to employers, then apparently CS / BSc is the more recognised degree. Ultimately it will come down to what you know and the skills you have that the employer is asking for.

CaptainPrice

HSC

Thanks
yeah, not much difference in employment opportunities between the two degrees, because the degrees themselves are quite similar.

ultimately your programming skills, experience, personal projects, technical interview skills, clubs/societies etc will be much bigger factors than your degree choice

Menomaths

Exaı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸lted Member
HSC
Man I can't tell if you're trolling or are serious

Ikki

HSC
If you are like the majority of comp sci students you'll still end up going into Programming. If that's the case then Comp Sci is just Soft Eng without all the engineering subs (i.e. ENG1000 SENG...). So its much more flexible and relaxed. Also, comp sci gives you an opportunity to go into different things other than software like robotics.

Job prospect wise, no one gives a crap, as long as u can code, get into the workplace, build some experience, work your way up, and regardless you'll get a good job/career.

Source: I'm doing comp sci at UNSW and I have mates doing soft eng at UNSW too.

Flop21

HSC
If you are like the majority of comp sci students you'll still end up going into Programming. If that's the case then Comp Sci is just Soft Eng without all the engineering subs (i.e. ENG1000 SENG...). So its much more flexible and relaxed. Also, comp sci gives you an opportunity to go into different things other than software like robotics.

Job prospect wise, no one gives a crap, as long as u can code, get into the workplace, build some experience, work your way up, and regardless you'll get a good job/career.

Source: I'm doing comp sci at UNSW and I have mates doing soft eng at UNSW too.
How???

Flop21

HSC
software engo has fixed courses like workshop, interfacing etc but with comp sci you can chose electives like COMP4411 like what I am doing
Do your free electives decrease if u do double degree, e.g. CS+science?

FlyingKanga

The optimistic pessimist.
HSC
Welp time to change preferences again, computer science seems more appealing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)