Complex Numbers and Geometry (1 Viewer)

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Here are a few more questions for people to ponder. I know that each can be done algebraically, and this is better than not being able to solve them at all, but all are more easily done geometrically.

1. P and Q are points on the Argand Diagram representing the complex numbers z and w, respectively, and z / w is purely imaginary. Draw a diagram to represent this information, and use it to prove that |z + w| = |z - w|.

2. P and Q are points on the Argand Diagram representing the complex numbers z and w, respectively, and
|z| = |w|. Draw a diagram to represent this information, and use it to prove that (z + w) / (z - w) is purely imaginary.

3. z<sub>0</sub> is a complex number represented by the point P on the Argand Diagram, and Q represents the point iz<sub>0</sub>.
(a) Draw a sketch of the locus of z if |z - z<sub>0</sub>| = |z - iz<sub>0</sub>|. Include the points P and Q on your sketch.
(b) Draw a sketch of the locus of z if arg(z - z<sub>0</sub>) = arg(iz<sub>0</sub>). Include the points P and Q on your sketch.
(c) The loci in (a) and (b) meet at a point R. Find the complex number represented by the point R.

4. If z is any complex number satisfying |z| = 1, show that 1 <= |z + 2| <= 3, and |arg(z + 2)| <= pi / 6.

5. If z<sub>0</sub> is a fixed complex number and R is a positive constant, describe the locus of z if
z * z(bar) + z * z<sub>0</sub>(bar) + z(bar) * z<sub>0</sub> + z<sub>0</sub> * z<sub>0</sub>(bar) = R<sup>2</sup>

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
27 views and not a single attempt yet. Am I asking something that's too hard, or do people not want the extra practice questions, or ...?

Calculon

Mohammed was a paedophile
HSC
N/A
Heres 3 a

z remains on the x-axis, hence its principal argument is 0 or pi and it is purely real

Last edited:

Calculon

HSC
N/A
Here 3b

z stays on the y-axis hence its principle argument is pi/2 or -pi/2 and it is purely imaginary

Last edited:

Giant Lobster

HSC
1) rectangle >> diagonals are equal
2) rhombus >> diagonals perpendicular
3) ugh... this needs pen and paper :(
4) circle radius 1 centre origin. from -2,0 min distance is 1, max is 3. hence first part. 2nd part, the tangents to circle from -2,0 make angle with positive x axis varying btn pi/6 and -pi/6 (you left that one out i think)
5) |z+z_0| = R. Circle centre -z_0, radius R.

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Sorry, Calculon, 3a and 3b are wrong.
Originally posted by Giant Lobster
4) circle radius 1 centre origin. from -2,0 min distance is 1, max is 3. hence first part. 2nd part, the tangents to circle from -2,0 make angle with positive x axis varying btn pi/6 and -pi/6 (you left that one out i think)
No, I didn't. The question said |arg(z + 2)| <= pi / 6, not arg(z + 2) <= pi / 6.

Last edited:

Calculon

HSC
N/A
^What he said^
I'll have another go when I'm not so tired

Faera

3a.

line = perpendicular to the line joining P and Q, going through (0,0)

3b.

Line parallel to vector OQ going through P.

?

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Faera
3a.

line = perpendicular to the line joining P and Q, going through (0,0)
and more importantly, through the midpoint of PQ
3b.

Line parallel to vector OQ going through P.

?
Almost. actually it's a ray parallel to vector OQ, starting at (but not including) P.

For (c), you'll need the diagram and some geometry, or some neat complex number algebra.

Faera

3c.

Let the lines/rays from q's 3a,b, intersect at point R.
RO perpendicular PQ (from 3a)
Since RO, PQ are the diagonals of QRPO, the QRPO must be a rhombus (since QO and PO are equal, it cannot be a kite).
Therefore, PR = OQ
and R = vector OP + vector OQ.
that is, R = z(0) + i(z(0))
R = z(0) * ( 1 + i )

(i dont know how to do that subscript thing... -.-')

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Subscript is < sub > whatever < /sub >, but without the spaces

Your answer for R is correct - the algebra way (for anyone whose interested) means solving simulataneously the two equations |z - z<sub>0</sub>| = |z - iz<sub>0</sub>| and arg(z - z<sub>0</sub>) = arg(iz<sub>0</sub>). This should be done without putting z = x + iy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)