Cold War (1 Viewer)

nomza

HSC
I dunno, don't want to stress out here but did anyone do part (a) of the Cold War section??

If so, did you find that when speaking of your crisis....well I guess it depends on what crisis you had....but you wrote less than the other sections. My crisis was the Cuban Missile Crisis and I seriously struggled to write 5 pages. I knew everything and I could answer the question, it's just that there wasn't a hell of a lot of content involved.

I thought the Leni Reifenstahl question was totally fucked, but that's another story.

Zenithliza

Hey I totally hear what you are saying. I think the fact that it was developments REALLY limited what you could talk about. For a 30 mark question I think its so unfair to limit that drastically because I found myself rehashing and rehashing. Anyway, I hear you..

nomza

HSC
sweeeeeeet.......thanks for that.

Yeah I just realised that I didn't talk about stupid Batista and the sugar thing with the trade embargo -- dammit.

Hope that wasn't a major part.....oh well besides that and leni the paper was really good.

philbert_frog

I did Cuba, and it was OK i though - stupid me got the year wrong!!! i did oct 1963 not oct 1962!!!!

ah fuck!

Other than that, the question was great, because you could talk about the crisia dn then US policy (eg. containment, marshall plan and truman doctrine.)

I wrote 9 pages in big writing - lots of concepts, not much detail, so we'll see the total mark on Dec 19 and I can prob work it out from there cuz WW1 was excellent, Leni was great, Germany was pretty good, and so its just this.

Did anyone else do Germany?? Cuz the questions required a rethink of what I've learnt to answer them (I did part (a))

Also, did anyone do Question B in CW???

That question was just plain pathetic! You don't base an HSC question on groups!!!!. THey aren't even in the "Key features" section....grrrr!

beava_69

yeh i didnt write as much for the cold war queasion either
i did the cuban misslie crisis and eneded up jibberin bout the containmernt and kennedy about a thOUsand times

Halba

same

I had the same problem as all u guys. the Cold war culture question was hopeless so didn't do it. I didn't even study that, nor did we do that in class. Doves and Hawks...i mean cmon how much can u write about that. I spose u could get around the "groups" thing by making the U.S GOVT the biggest group..ah well..not enuff time to make it link properly

I did the CRISIS question and did Korean war. 10 pages was the result. Had about 45mins to do it, and it linked ok to the narrowness of the question.

They should stop givin crisis questions, they are too narrow and don't give the whole scope of the Cold War.

I heavily studied for a detente / Arms Control question and was disappointed. Oh well thats life.

When doin the crisis thing i could've done any really, 45 mins aint that long so u can go through the time pretty easily in any. But Cuba yeah i agree didn't fit very well and i can't remember any dates (crucial to Cuba) so i thought "ahh stuff it" . Yup i simply couldn't remember hte key stuff like you Philbert so did Korean War instead.

Halba

yeah

the cold war culture thing wasn't really in the syllabus eh philbert. BOS tried to screw around with us.

groups like doves and hawks, military industrial compelx . peace movement and all that didn't tickle my fancy. The only way to get around it was to talk about the doves and hawks durin that period e.g. Truman, Macarthur, Dulles and their policies . But that would be a bit hard to do.

Slush Puppy

there was liek this list of words which we had to be familiar with..u know like imperialism and capitalism and stuff, and last year's Q was on imperiliasm, i had a hunch that BOS could take out another one of those words but DOVES & HAWKS??? the only thing i know about that is the U2 spy plane...it that's right at all:confused:

Stupid Question all round, i memorised 4 awesome essays on ideological factors that catalysed the cold war, the arms race, the detente and the factors that led to the end of the cold war, thinking there is NO WAY in hell that one of those won't be the essay Q...but Bah!!!!

Halba

i know!!!

can't believe they did a SO narrow a thing. Just coz they have to put something from the syllabus doesn't mean they have to put DOVES AND HAWKS and military industries (another group)

these were the groups u HAD to talk about

doves and hawks
military/industrial manufacturers
nuclear protesters
secret service organisations

pretty narrow, coz i only knew basically a few paragraphs on each. Secret service well u could talk about CIA's role in U-2, Cuba, and Vietnam but not much else in the time period given.

But the first point- doves and hawks u can pretty much label each president one or another and talk from there. But u needed to cover the others above and so I didn't choose it.

schwang_thang

Originally posted by philbert_frog
[B
Did anyone else do Germany?? Cuz the questions required a rethink of what I've learnt to answer them (I did part (a))
[/B]
yups i did, i didn't like the qstns...i was totally prepared 4 a qstn abt Weimar since it's the last yr they';re teaching it in depth n i was hoping the BoS wuddn't b a bunch of wankers n leave it out this yr...

i did part a as well, thought it sounded pretti bad :(

n on the bloody Cold War stuff....
i agree w/ u ppl, the fact that i barely knew very little (or had trouble gathering & linking wat i did know) abt the groups in part (b) basically eliminated that qstn as a choice & left me answering the 1st qstn...

it was pretti annoying trying 2 link everything 2 such a narrow qstn, i did Berlin, n altho the Blockade was ok answering & expanding (i.e babbling) on, i realised that there wasn't much 2 the Berlin Wall, except that it went up in 1961 really...
:confused:

KhaLien

I was pretty happy with the cold war question... america feared communism - well dah! I blabbed on about Containment, the Truman Doctrine and the Domino Theory for the first couple of pages, then talked about the Korean War for the rest...it was like the only thing i knew about in the whole module :D

The Germany question was alright too, I chose the one on fear, terror and repression against jews. Again, that was one of the only things i actually knew...
I forgot everything for Leni... i'll be lucky if I get 5/20 for that :eek:

So far the modern paper has been my favourite... by some miricle they asked me the questions I could actually answer :D

Sylvatin

Is it just me?

Is it just me? But I thought the Cold War questions were excellent! I did the one on the Crises, but we did a similar practise question to the other part at school... The Dove/Hawks groups you could have talked about were the usual but then you could have gone on to mention the hippy movement and the major cultural changes in the US from that... A bit narrow for 50 minutes, I would've been struggling to make it legit...
but I really really really liked the other question (I did Cuba). Ah well, each to his own
:)

Sari

did anyone do question b? i agree, the syllabus didnt have heaps on it . . . i was lucky cos i thought mccarthyism was interetsing so i studied it and i think im the only one that did that bloody question.

but it was interesting anyway.

Suieyman

:(
i don't understand how all of youse managed to find the cold war question easy....

i mean, i studied soooooo friggn hard, n i was so set to answer a arms race or ideology question, n i couldn't answer either question!

i managed to squeeze out bout 5 pages.... but i left like an hour for the cw essay, n spent most of the tym just twiddling my thumbs.....i knew aboslutely nothing for both....

n i screwed the russia question.....
stoopid bos!

could someone kindly kill everyone associated with the bos, so to avenge my fail in the hsc?

thanks to anyone who cares about how distressed i am...

:mad1:
"bos, i'm gonna kill you until you die from it!"

nomza

HSC
hey come on.....at least you wrote more than me!!!

Doylie

The crisis question was so bloody easy, but the groups question was a bitch. Our teacher didnt teach us about protest movements, mccarthyism and all that, so basically it ruled out that question for our school - not that thats a problem cause the other question was basic.. To all the people who are complaining about not being able to answer the crisis question despite studying ideological differences, what the hell is wrong with you? The question was asking for an explanation of the ideological differences, and how they were put into practice in the example of a crisis (basically). There was heaps you could talk about for that question..
For Germany, i did the one on the impact of the Nazi party up to 1933, which was alright, i'd prepared an essay pretty similar to that, so it was all good. I didn't think that i would be able to accurately remember all the dates for the Jewish question, for me it was far too big a time frame with far too much content..
Anyways, the Cold War questions of the CSSA trial were pretty damn easy, and at least both of the questions for the HSC weren't bastards...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)