Cold War Essay Topics (1 Viewer)

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
This is the thread to post your essay topics on the cold war elective.

Here are some posted previously:

- assess the role of the domino theory in us/soviet relations. How realistic was the us fear of Soviet expansion in the third world?
- Assess the success of summit meetings in reducing superpower tensions
- Assess the extent to which the Cold War involved the nations of the middle east and africa
- Assess the extent to which the Cold War dominatred the lives of ordinary people in us and ussr

Assess the American fear of communism in the development of any ONE cold war crisis b/w 1948 - 1989

Disuss the influence of various groups on the creation and maintance of cold war culture b/w 1945 - 1961

Evaluate the importance of ideology on the causes of the Cold war

Please add your essay topics to this post so that everyone can benefit, both for this year's HSC and future HSCs!

Sophie777

Trial questions.

Something like this.

Outline how the policy of containment contributed to Cold War tensions

Outline how any TWO cold war crises contributed to tensions.

MissSavage29

Resident Priss
HSC
here's the one i just did

'assess the impact of disarmament talks on Cold War tensions between 1962 to 1991'

MissSavage29

Resident Priss
HSC

· Discuss the influence of various groups on the creation and maintaince of Cold War Culture in the US b/w 1945 and 1961

· Assess the success of America’s policy in containing communism b/w 1945 and 1974

· Assess the repercussions for US-Soviet relations of a crisis that developed in the period from 1948 to 1989

· Assess the American fear of communism in the development of any ONE Cold War crisis b/w 1948 and 1989

· Evaluate the importance of ideology on the causes of the cold war

· Assess the impact of disarmament talks on Cold War tensions from 1962 – 1991

· Assess the repercussions for US-Soviet relations of a crisis that developed in the period from 1948 – 1989

· 2004 HSC – Assess the view that the Cold War divisions b/w 1945 and 1953 arose as a result of a clash b/w two ideologies: Communism and capitalism

· 2004 HSC – Why did détente not bring an end to the Cold War by the early 1980s

· Evaluate the reasons for the failure of détente

HSC
The one I'm writing now..

What were the consequences of the arms race in the USA and USSR?

emmy-lou

Help!!!

i have an assignment on assessing first hand sources from major events in the cold war... anyone know any good sites? PLEASE!!!!!

HSC
- The economic, territorial and ideological differences that separated the Us and the USSR were incidenetal and need not have caused conflict. The real cause of the Cold War was the inherent clashes that arise between competing powers. Discuss this statement.
- The US policy of containment did more to worsen the Cold War Crisis than dampen it. Discuss.
- Analyse the contribution of leaders in creating tension between 1945 and 1953
- Summit meetings were always unsuccessful. Argue a case for or against this statement.
- Analyse the importance of leaders in creating detente
- With an in depth discussion of ONE cold war crisis, look at how proxy conflicts caused tension between 1945 and 1991.
- What were the causes of the nuclear arms race?
-Gorbachev is wholly responsible for the end of the Cold War. Discuss.

I hope these help you guys. I think the most important thing to remember with the Cold War is that there are always heaps of factors to consider when writing about anything - so try not to oversimplify your responses.

HSC
I totally panicked when I saw those cold war qs for the 05 HSC. They are both not expected and in weird parts of the syllabus

I did the nuclear weapons/protesters one. I ended up writing for a long time...it was a bit rambly though :(

emmeline

HSC
the two from this years hsc speciman paper are:

-assess the effectiveness of the US policy of containment in the Cold War in the period up to 1968

and

- how significant were US President Reagan's policies in ending the Cold War?

izzy88

HSC
hey im not sure if anyones using this thread...but remeber that the way the syllabus is structured has been changed this year, and focuses etc have altered in the different sections...the point of this being that some past questions are not relevant and wouldn't (to my knowledge) come up...

eg. im pretty 99% sure that we would not be expected to answer the 2005 HSC Cold War question on "How effective were nuclear protesters in influencing attempts to limit and control nuclear weapons during the Cold War"...mainly because im pretty sure there is nothing to do with nuclear protesters in the 2006 syllabus unlike last year...

BaCC 07~~
HSC
Wooz said:
Hey does anyone have the CSSA 2006 trial questions for Cold war.
CSSA 2006 Trials: Option F: The Cold War 1945-1991:

a) To what extent was capitalism responsible for the policies and strategies of the USSR in the period 1945 to 1953?

or,

b) To what extent were Gorbachev's attitudes and policies responsible for the ending the Cold War?

Chrissyx93

HSC
I studied the cold war last year and the question i was given was:
"Was the cold war ultimately an ideological conflict (communism v capitalism)?"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)