clone or not???? (1 Viewer)

bio4lyf

HSC
was it a clone or not??? getting different answers from everybody... :/

HSC
I think it would be best not to worry about it. Either way, there's nothing that can be done about the exam. Ruminating over your answers will just put you under stress and take time away from your other study.

hungry

HSC
I don't get how it would be a clone. And the fact that it was worth quite a few marks and asked you to talk about sexual reproduction and gamete formation kinda suggests to me that you had to talk about genetic variability.

trungduong12

HSC
I don't get how it would be a clone. And the fact that it was worth quite a few marks and asked you to talk about sexual reproduction and gamete formation kinda suggests to me that you had to talk about genetic variability.
If its NOT
Then GG !!!
0/5

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Helicase

HSC
Hello. First post here wow

I said that the offspring would not be a clone because of the genetic variation that would occur in meiosis, such as crossing over which could lead to different pairings of alleles when the ova were fused. Since a clone would need to be genetically identical this variation would result in differences and would mean the offspring isn't actually a clone.

I gave an example saying if the lady was heterozygous for some trait Bb (B (dominant) b (recessive)) then the offspring may have the bb genotype and thus have a different phenotype.

bio4lyf

HSC
Hello. First post here wow

I said that the offspring would not be a clone because of the genetic variation that would occur in meiosis, such as crossing over which could lead to different pairings of alleles when the ova were fused. Since a clone would need to be genetically identical this variation would result in differences and would mean the offspring isn't actually a clone.

I gave an example saying if the lady was heterozygous for some trait Bb (B (dominant) b (recessive)) then the offspring may have the bb genotype and thus have a different phenotype.
buuttt wat if she was a homozygous then the allells would be the same and would result in a clone, unless a mutation occurs... :/

Helicase

HSC
buuttt wat if she was a homozygous then the allells would be the same and would result in a clone, unless a mutation occurs... :/
Just an example really, but considering how many genes there are in the DNA it'd be very unlikely that they were homozygous for every single on of them.

I have to agree with Anthony_wheels though, there's no use stressing over it with other exams still left to come.

noctua

HSC
Helicase is right, it's not a clone
You have to talk about, mutation, crossing over, random segregation, independent assortment and random fertilisation.

aussienator

HSC
It's not obviously wth. How would two eggs make a clone ... gametes are different anyway to ensure an increased gene pool ...

gamete * gamete just means more possibilities duh. I wrote exactly what noctua wrote about.

Last edited:

hecticated

HSC
I said it wasnt a clone because crossing over during meiosis.... IDK anymore

jacksonharrison

HSC
N/A
Defiantly not a clone, crossing over and random segregation during meiosis thus the chromosomes would not be identical in the gamete and that means a different genotype of the offspring and thus no clone

Colemans

HSC
N/A
It is a clone only if she uses her own skin or her own genetic material to create the child as it is only then will it have the same genetic information.

aussienator

HSC
It is a clone only if she uses her own skin or her own genetic material to create the child as it is only then will it have the same genetic information.
Wtf no each of ur gametes is different... You make no sense lad

Maxwell

bow peasants
HSC
caps

WTF HOW IS IT A CLONE YALL NEEDA L2 BIOLOGY

when a gamete is formed (WHICH IT WAS BECAUSE THE STIMULUS SAID "TWO OVAS") it has ALREADY UNDERGONE THE PROCESSES OF RANDOM SEGREGATION, MUTATION (IF IT DID OCCUR) AND CROSSING OVER

THIS MEANS THEREFORE THAT IT IS NOT A CLONE AS IT IS DIFFERENT TO THE MOTHER FUCKING MOTHER

and the fertilisation of the egg adds more to the variability of the offspring

therefore it is not a fucking clone

in the exam i wrote that in capital letters (it IS NOT A CLONE) and underlined it and highlighted it.

it's not a fucking clone omfg

soz if you wrote it was

however, if you had good reasoning as to why it COULD be a clone, you COULD get full marks IF your answer was good (because both are probably valid)

BUT, using simple genetic principles IT IS NOT A CLONE

blast92

Aim: 85+
HSC
Pretty sure it isn't a clone. During meiosis, the chromatids of the cell cross over and there are many variations like cell differentiation, mutation etc, it wont be a clone. Also when it interacts with a sperm there are 23 chromosomes from the sperm and 23 from the ovum so I'm pretty sure they're not cloned.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)