Can you get a 99.95 ATAR without tutoring? If so, what's the best approach to doing so? (1 Viewer)

Vdog

HSC
Like the title says. A lot of people in my school go to tutoring and I was wondering if I should go. I really dislike the notion that tutoring is needed for a 99+ ATAR (it's kind of "pay to win" if you will). I was wondering if I can achieve the same by purely self studying and doing past papers on thsc. Would especially appreciate advice from someone who has actually been there and done it. Thanks 😁

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
First off going tutoring doesn't necessarily mean you will get amazing marks. This can be seen in the high number of people going tutoring and the low number of people getting 99 ATAR, so it isn't pay to win. Students and parents often think that going to a tutor who achieved a high mark will also lead them to get a high mark, there is much more at play to achieving such a result.

Being someone who got 99 ATAR and went tutoring for some subjects, didn't go tutoring for other subjects and is currently a tutor I can offer you some insight into the benefits of tutoring and what is actually needed to get a 99 ATAR.

Tutoring can be helpful in some ways in achieving a high ATAR, which include:
- If you go to a qualified and dedicated tutor (this is often hard to find as they might have already filled up months prior to the Year 12 starting, so if you are thinking of doing any tutoring in Year 12, best to start looking now), they will be able to provide guidance on how to answer questions in terms of structure and how the markers think. This is the main benefit of tutoring in my opinion, which is learning how to write high quality answers by seeing answers from a tutor who scored well.

- Resource access, tutors often have compiled some type of resources such as exam papers and notes. The extent of this will probably vary with the experience of the tutor and if it's in individual or group lessons. Normally in the individual most of those resources you can probably find on the internet if you look hard enough and know where to look, as the tutor won't have much incentive to go into doing something like making a bunch of resources as it takes a large amount of time and they are only paid for the lesson time. In small group tutoring and tutoring centres, the resources are usually more detailed and will probably be things like theory notes and homework questions, but best to ask for samples to confirm this.

- Marking, most tutors offer some variation of marking. It will depend on the subject but this could be things like essay marking for english and homework questions marking for subjects like the sciences, where the answer quality depends on things like level of detail, inclusion of diagrams, equations etc.

- Questions, ability to ask questions during the week on concepts you don't understand and having someone who can explain it to you in a clear way and the approach to get to the answer can be more helpful than looking at a solution written in the answers and trying to understand it yourself.

- Sad to say this but if you're teacher is not up to par and unable to explain things properly. This happens sadly far too often. In my experience as a tutor, I have seen teachers doing things like skipping whole sections of content, not covering things properly or rushing them, giving worksheets from the internet that don't really reflect HSC questions and going over content that is not even in the syllabus. In these cases, a tutor can be very helpful as doing practice by yourself via exams is something that is possible but trying to learn all the content by yourself while not knowing what's important and what isn't is more difficult.

In saying these benefits though, the tutoring itself won't lead to high marks. The people who are going to get a 99+ ATAR would probably still get high ATARs or in the 99s as it depends on a large number of factors as tutoring is only once a week and for probably 1-2 hours. This limited time means just attending tutoring once a week for a couple hours can't result in high marks. The large majority of what leads to a high mark is not what happens in the tutoring but outside of it. The student needs to be committed to their own learning and take initiative by doing things like making notes, taking time to understand concepts in their own time, practicing exam questions throughout the year and continually trying to improve by assessing what areas they are lacking in. You have to work extremely hard to get such an ATAR and be willing to sacrifice much more of leisure time than other students. The tutor can help facilitate some of these things by guiding you on what questions to complete or what they can see you are lacking in, but it will be dependent on if the student then uses this feedback and goes away in their own time and addresses them. You also need a level of natural ability academically to perform well across a range of subjects, which a tutor can't influence.

In summary, tutoring can help you in making the path clearer to getting a high ATAR if you use it effectively, but won't be what carries you all the way as this will ultimately be dependent on the student, their choices, study habits and ability.

dasfas

HSC
I think none of the 99.95ers at my school did tutoring, but perhaps I'm mistaken.

It definitely is not necessary, but it will save you a lot of time. There isn't much that a tutoring center can bring to the table if you're already highly motivated. English, perhaps that can help, but for STEM, nah. It's just grinding past papers honestly - there is such a huge wealth of information online that if you know where to look, you're golden.

What 1:1 tutors can give you is the little tricks they used to boost their marks and be more productive ie. how they organised their time, how they perfected their exam technique (this one is HUGE and is the difference between band 6 and state rank imo), how they studied and what they studied each day etc.. these are the little intangibles that differentiate a 99.00 and a 99.95. Without a 1:1 tutor, you gotta figure it all out on your own, which you can, but it'll take you way longer.

So tl;dr, definitely not necessary if you're motivated, but it can save you a lot of time.

nourished.

HSC
Like the title says. A lot of people in my school go to tutoring and I was wondering if I should go. I really dislike the notion that tutoring is needed for a 99+ ATAR (it's kind of "pay to win" if you will). I was wondering if I can achieve the same by purely self studying and doing past papers on thsc. Would especially appreciate advice from someone who has actually been there and done it. Thanks 😁
TL;DR - yes.

Though, here's my advice:
  • Really capitalise on your teacher. Do mock exams and get them to mark it.
  • Take notes during class. Write an even more concise set of notes from them afterwards.
  • Buy the good textbooks. Or borrow them from the library.
  • Ask grads from your school if it's cool for you to scan their past papers.
  • Be consistent. Do a little bit of everything everyday.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)