Can i get an atar of above 90 while only doing advanced maths? (1 Viewer)

jjisthebest

HSC
Ohk i'm in prelims rn and i really want to get an atar of above 90 not for my course(it would be helpful but anything above 83 is fine) but it's something i want to achieve. These are the subjects I'm doing and my rank
Standard English: 8th/130
Math advanced: 3rd/64
Business studies: 1st/110
Physics: 4th/10
SORII: 5th/72

These ranks are based on one assessment but i know i can achieve at least a 85-90+ in all subjects except physics and english which may range from a 75+. Most people say that you cant get a 90+ atar doing only one advanced course and I'm worried cause i only do advanced maths and the rest of my subjects are easy. Im not able to drop or pick any subjects and these are my certified HSC subjects. I was wondering what type of marks i'd have to achieve to get above a 90. Also my school isn't a high ranking school

howcanibesmarter

HSC
As long as you are consistent, these ranks arent bad at all! But like, if you are worried, remind yourself that its only prelims and it doesnt really matter in the end if you do bad for one assessment (though do make sure to revise your mistakes). That being said, the actual hsc is where everything matters, where a lot more students start to try - so personally i would keep this mindset of "getting 90+ atar" outside your head for now since it could change drastically over the course of next year. However, to answer your question, it doesnt really matter what subjects you do, a high atar is achievable if you do well. Of course the subject of scaling isnt as high, but that also means that you are competing with a cohort that less tryhard (i.e. 4u maths). Even if you come from a bad school, as long as you are consistently at a top, the rest of the cohort wont drag down your atar, since those consistnely ranked above others would be essentially getting their own hsc marks rather than being affected by a moderated cohort average. :)

jjisthebest

HSC
As long as you are consistent, these ranks arent bad at all! But like, if you are worried, remind yourself that its only prelims and it doesnt really matter in the end if you do bad for one assessment (though do make sure to revise your mistakes). That being said, the actual hsc is where everything matters, where a lot more students start to try - so personally i would keep this mindset of "getting 90+ atar" outside your head for now since it could change drastically over the course of next year. However, to answer your question, it doesnt really matter what subjects you do, a high atar is achievable if you do well. Of course the subject of scaling isnt as high, but that also means that you are competing with a cohort that less tryhard (i.e. 4u maths). Even if you come from a bad school, as long as you are consistently at a top, the rest of the cohort wont drag down your atar, since those consistnely ranked above others would be essentially getting their own hsc marks rather than being affected by a moderated cohort average. :)
Thanks. I was just worried cause while i know I'm doing well now i don't know if i can keep up. It's weird seeing how like especially in adv maths and physics everyone is really smart and putting in the same effort that i am like going tutoring and studying ahead so how am i meant to stay ahead of them. Also it's disheartening that I'm doing so well rn in prelim and could possibly get 1st-3rd in like 3 subjects at the end of the year but it doesn't count towards anything at all

jjisthebest

HSC
I am
as a person doing tutoring for phys & studying ahead of school the only logical way to stay ahead of them is doing that as well
imo going ahead isn't too hard and personally my school's basically up to mod 4 💀 and speeds through everything so it was lowkey a requirement to go fast (as i knew my school teacher wouldn't be able to teach shit)
if you mean just scoring higher just do more qns and try find and remove your weaknesses in phys
if you're 1st/3rd in prelims then you're probably set for y12 in terms of foundations
I do tutoring for phys and I'm ahead which is good i bombed the first assessment cause i was expecting year 10 type qus and froze when the qus where different even though they were easy. For maths i do tutoring but it's at a centre so we don't go ahead but i teach myself at home with yt and textbooks and I'm a whole topic ahead of class. I'm trying my best but so is everyone else which is scary ig

helpfulperson?

HSC
N/A
as a person doing tutoring for phys & studying ahead of school the only logical way to stay ahead of them is doing that as well
imo going ahead isn't too hard and personally my school's basically up to mod 4 💀 and speeds through everything so it was lowkey a requirement to go fast (as i knew my school teacher wouldn't be able to teach shit)
if you mean just scoring higher just do more qns and try find and remove your weaknesses in phys
if you're 1st/3rd in prelims then you're probably set for y12 in terms of foundations
wtfffff. bro like only ruse is up to mod 4

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)