Can I do well in HSC without tutoring? (1 Viewer)

bhgbeigowrhfow'p

HSC
I go to a non-selective school which is competitive (nearly everyone does tutoring). I'm currently in Yr.12 and my ranks in Prelim were in the top 5. At this moment, I believe that not having tutoring will improve my family's financial state a lot more. However, I'm a bit conflicted on how this can cause my ranks to drop. Could someone please tell me if it's possible to maintain a high rank without tutoring? If yes, then how? Are there any resources I can use apart from textbooks and past papers to prepare?

juju1234

HSC
yes you can, worry not, i didn't have tutoring and was doing well (until i got lazy towards the end lol). go to ur local newsagency and cop the excel books there and maybe invest in some checkpoints books. pretty much everything is on youtube anyway in more depth than you need and just hit up ur mates and teachers if theres any gaps in ur knowledge.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Tutoring generally provides students with additional knowledge and resources relevant to the subject(s) for which they are using a tutoring service, whether it be through a tutoring company or through a private tutor. Keep in mind that tutoring is not necessarily crucial for the success of a student. Several students have achieved amazing results with no tutoring, and those results have exceeded those of students who used a tutoring service. Some students seek tutoring as they may feel that they are not confident in particular areas of one (or more) subjects and wish to rectify such issues. In terms of how this is related to your ranks, lack of tutoring is not connected to lower ranks. Lower ranks occur due to the student performing at a lower standard compared to their peers, which may be the case irrespective of whether or not they receive tutoring.

To answer your question, it definitely is possible to maintain a high rank without tutoring. The factors involved in doing so are solely dependent on the student themselves, as follows:
  1. The student must have the will to do what it takes to ensure optimal performance. Favourable performance requires a long-term commitment, manifested in sustained effort, which requires a lot of determination in order to ultimately attain the student's desired goals.
  2. Once the student's mindset becomes clearly advantageous, the focus will shift to the academic position of the student. This depends on an effective study strategy/method/plan that allows the student to effectively understand, learn and manipulate the content across their respective subjects, and is therefore an important element to consider, regardless of whether you attend a selective school or whether you use a tutoring service.
  3. With respect to your question, and depending on your subjects, downloading good quality sets of notes may be a beneficial addition to your textbook as well as past exam papers as good quality notes tend to cover the syllabus of a particular subject in a direct and thorough, yet concise manner.
I hope this helps! 😄

totally_screwed

Baddest Member
HSC
I go to a non-selective school which is competitive (nearly everyone does tutoring). I'm currently in Yr.12 and my ranks in Prelim were in the top 5. At this moment, I believe that not having tutoring will improve my family's financial state a lot more. However, I'm a bit conflicted on how this can cause my ranks to drop. Could someone please tell me if it's possible to maintain a high rank without tutoring? If yes, then how? Are there any resources I can use apart from textbooks and past papers to prepare?
completely possible, just keep yourself challenged and on the ball I guess

bhgbeigowrhfow'p

HSC
Tutoring generally provides students with additional knowledge and resources relevant to the subject(s) for which they are using a tutoring service, whether it be through a tutoring company or through a private tutor. Keep in mind that tutoring is not necessarily crucial for the success of a student. Several students have achieved amazing results with no tutoring, and those results have exceeded those of students who used a tutoring service. Some students seek tutoring as they may feel that they are not confident in particular areas of one (or more) subjects and wish to rectify such issues. In terms of how this is related to your ranks, lack of tutoring is not connected to lower ranks. Lower ranks occur due to the student performing at a lower standard compared to their peers, which may be the case irrespective of whether or not they receive tutoring.

To answer your question, it definitely is possible to maintain a high rank without tutoring. The factors involved in doing so are solely dependent on the student themselves, as follows:
  1. The student must have the will to do what it takes to ensure optimal performance. Favourable performance requires a long-term commitment, manifested in sustained effort, which requires a lot of determination in order to ultimately attain the student's desired goals.
  2. Once the student's mindset becomes clearly advantageous, the focus will shift to the academic position of the student. This depends on an effective study strategy/method/plan that allows the student to effectively understand, learn and manipulate the content across their respective subjects, and is therefore an important element to consider, regardless of whether you attend a selective school or whether you use a tutoring service.
  3. With respect to your question, and depending on your subjects, downloading good quality sets of notes may be a beneficial addition to your textbook as well as past exam papers as good quality notes tend to cover the syllabus of a particular subject in a direct and thorough, yet concise manner.
I hope this helps! 😄
I believe I can work hard and stay committed. My subjects are; Math 4u, Physics, Chemistry and English Adv.
My main concern is about the resources which tutoring provides. In tutoring, the homework I do plus the tests give me more exposure to exam practice. I'm just afraid that I won't be able to find a range of questions outside tutoring.

juju1234

HSC
I believe I can work hard and stay committed. My subjects are; Math 4u, Physics, Chemistry and English Adv.
My main concern is about the resources which tutoring provides. In tutoring, the homework I do plus the tests give me more exposure to exam practice. I'm just afraid that I won't be able to find a range of questions outside tutoring.
dw, theres so many resources for physics, 4u and 3u maths, and english advanced online - I'm sorry for shilling this random company (not sponsored i promise) but u can get excel's past hsc books for 3u maths and physics which give replacement questions. youll definitely have enough to see u thru to trials, and then after that u can just ask the people around u for their questions from tutoring. not sure abt chem but I'm sure its the same

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
As a start, I suggest checking out the BoS trials for Mathematics Extension 1, Mathematics Extension 2 and Chemistry as a means of supplementing your exam practice:

Keep in mind that the number of HSC resources increases each year, meaning that it is unlikely that you will experience a shortage of revision material, such as past trial exam papers.

idkkdi

HSC
tutoring makes studying easier. but if u put in more time, it will be fine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)